Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,176,984 times

Advertisements

1-4lbs a week is generally considered safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
1-4lbs a week is generally considered safe
More like 1-2.

Maybe 4 pounds if you are over 400 pounds.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 4,208 times
If you really want to lose weight, you must use more calories than you eat by controlling your food intake and/or increasing your exercise routine. That's all I can contribute.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,353,969 times
thanks for bringing back this worthless thread.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
In 8 weeks you can safely lose 16 lbs. That is what you should shoot for.
What are your goals? Do you want to lose weight as a quick fix? Do you want to get healthier and make a lifestyle change? If it is the former don't bother.
1000 calories is not enough to eat for most people. You can eat 1200 - 1500 and still lose weight. Depending on your physical fitness level now you can walk or run. But you need to get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes if you want to start burning calories.
You can rent exercise DVD's that will have exercise programs for you to follow. That is a great way to get started.

Whenever I see someone say they want to lose weight fast I know right off the bat they are destined to fail. Figure out what you really want and then go about it sensibly.
This is an excellent post.

Sixteen pounds makes a HUGE difference.

As for losing weight around your middle specifically, here's what's worked for me:

1) Get at least 7 hours of sleep a day.
2) Cut out most white flour and regular sugar, pasta, and potatoes.
3) Eat lots of veggies and fruits and drink plenty of water. Without going into too much detail, if you are, errrrr, "regular," you won't get bloated. BUT AVOID ANYTHING THAT GIVES YOU GAS! LOL
4) Do some sort of aerobic exercise during which you can concentrate on your posture and tucking in your tummy - this alone will give you more muscle tone.

I've lost 13 pounds in about five weeks and I've lost FIVE INCHES off my waist and bust and 3 from my hips.

I haven't lost "enough weight" to justify such a drop in midsection inches. I attribute that mostly to what I've outlined above.

And I haven't lifted a single weight or done a single sit up!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM

252 posts, read 457,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
In 8 weeks you can safely lose 16 lbs. That is what you should shoot for.
What are your goals? Do you want to lose weight as a quick fix? Do you want to get healthier and make a lifestyle change? If it is the former don't bother.
1000 calories is not enough to eat for most people. You can eat 1200 - 1500 and still lose weight. Depending on your physical fitness level now you can walk or run. But you need to get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes if you want to start burning calories.
You can rent exercise DVD's that will have exercise programs for you to follow. That is a great way to get started.

Whenever I see someone say they want to lose weight fast I know right off the bat they are destined to fail. Figure out what you really want and then go about it sensibly.
Excellent post.

There is quick fix for fat or weight loss. You don't gain weight in just one day or one week. it takes time for your body to store that fat so the opposite process is same.

big no no to eating less. Why? When you don't eat enough calories your body moves into starvation mode. Once you hit your target weight you will start eating normal (more than 1000 calories) but since you place your body into starvation mode your body won't be able to tell your mind you are full so you will actually eat more than you need. This will make you gain weight faster. Resulting in putting you back where you were if not worse.

Majority people don't realize as we grow older our metabolism system slows down. We need to keep the metabolism system going. For that you need to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Your diet should be consist of complex carbs and high protein. Especially when you are trying to lose fat.

Remove junk food, sugar, soda, empty calories like alcohol.

Exercise is extremely and equally important. Create or search online for a proper workout program. You need cardio and strength training. You can not get bulky by lifting weight. you need to lift weight in gym to build muscles and burn fat. Try to work each muscle area per day. ie Chest & Triceps, Back and Biceps, Shoulder, Calves and abs, Legs.

Rest is very important point to this puzzle as well. Don't over workout and injure yourself. have at least 7 hours of sleep and take break after 2 days of proper weight workout. give your muscles proper rest to recover. Keep doing cardio for all 7 days. Don't skip cardio workout. Even power walk is fine but get off your lazy butt and go out walk. In winter I suggest walk stairs in your home for 20mins. trust me it will work.

Once again for anyone to lose weight you need to have discipline, proper food intake, workout plan.

Don't fall for weight watcher or any other crap. it will not work.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Excellent post.

There is quick fix for fat or weight loss. You don't gain weight in just one day or one week. it takes time for your body to store that fat so the opposite process is same.

big no no to eating less. Why? When you don't eat enough calories your body moves into starvation mode. Once you hit your target weight you will start eating normal (more than 1000 calories) but since you place your body into starvation mode your body won't be able to tell your mind you are full so you will actually eat more than you need. This will make you gain weight faster. Resulting in putting you back where you were if not worse.

Majority people don't realize as we grow older our metabolism system slows down. We need to keep the metabolism system going. For that you need to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Your diet should be consist of complex carbs and high protein. Especially when you are trying to lose fat.

Remove junk food, sugar, soda, empty calories like alcohol.

Exercise is extremely and equally important. Create or search online for a proper workout program. You need cardio and strength training. You can not get bulky by lifting weight. you need to lift weight in gym to build muscles and burn fat. Try to work each muscle area per day. ie Chest & Triceps, Back and Biceps, Shoulder, Calves and abs, Legs.

Rest is very important point to this puzzle as well. Don't over workout and injure yourself. have at least 7 hours of sleep and take break after 2 days of proper weight workout. give your muscles proper rest to recover. Keep doing cardio for all 7 days. Don't skip cardio workout. Even power walk is fine but get off your lazy butt and go out walk. In winter I suggest walk stairs in your home for 20mins. trust me it will work.

Once again for anyone to lose weight you need to have discipline, proper food intake, workout plan.

Don't fall for weight watcher or any other crap. it will not work.
Why don't you think Weight Watchers works? Weight Watchers focuses on discipline, proper food intake, and staying active. The program trains people to incorporate just those very elements into their daily habits.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,136,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
big no no to eating less. Why? When you don't eat enough calories your body moves into starvation mode.

Jeeez I am sick of this stupid myth. You go into starvation mode when your body is literally starving, in imminent thread of death. Before that, when you reduce more calories, your body is acting less efficiently. You simply reduce the rate of weight loss per unit of caloric deficit.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,136,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why don't you think Weight Watchers works? Weight Watchers focuses on discipline, proper food intake, and staying active. The program trains people to incorporate just those very elements into their daily habits.

For ME I liked it less than just counting calories on my own because

1. They focus on whole grains which produces a fast insulin response and left me feeling really hungry and deprived all the time.
2. It is a business whose purpose is to make money. I prefer to spend my money on yummy food. Healthy yummy food. (Off to cut my plum).

Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Jeeez I am sick of this stupid myth. You go into starvation mode when your body is literally starving, in imminent thread of death. Before that, when you reduce more calories, your body is acting less efficiently. You simply reduce the rate of weight loss per unit of caloric deficit.
Here's what happened to me recently.

I was restricting my calories to 1200 a day. I was losing 1/2 pound a week at best.

I upped my calories to an average of 1600 a day and am losing 1.5 to 2 pounds per week.

No other changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness