Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For ME I liked it less than just counting calories on my own because

1. They focus on whole grains which produces a fast insulin response and left me feeling really hungry and deprived all the time.
2. It is a business whose purpose is to make money. I prefer to spend my money on yummy food. Healthy yummy food. (Off to cut my plum).
1. I haven't noticed a focus on whole grains at all and haven't experienced any sense of deprivation. Not arguing with you, just giving my personal experience with WW. In fact, I was using my own calorie counting program (free) and restricting my calories to 1200 a day (now THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is deprivation!) and losing about 1/2 a pound a week. When I switched to WW program (most fruits and veggies have zero points by the way on WW), I upped my calories to about 1600 a day and am now losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a day. Sometimes I actually have a hard time eating all the "points" but they encouraged me to do so, and it was a real leap of faith. But it works for me.

2. I really like the online WW tools and the camaraderie of the meetings. It's well worth the expenditure to me. I am on a $40 a month plan - that includes all meetings and all online tools. I work best with structure and so this works for me.

The plan works if it is followed. But whether the weight loss is worth the expenditure, and whether or not a person truly sticks to the WW plan, is totally up to the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1. I haven't noticed a focus on whole grains at all and haven't experienced any sense of deprivation. Not arguing with you, just giving my personal experience with WW.
Maybe they have changed the plan. It doesn't look like they even offer flex anymore. It has been years.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe they have changed the plan. It doesn't look like they even offer flex anymore. It has been years.

They have GREATLY changed their plan. I tried it ten years ago and hated it. I almost didn't go back, but my friends kept raving about it and seeing great results. Finally and reluctantly I did go back - and WOW, what a difference!

The emphasis is DEFINITELY on healthy choices - specifically fruits, veggies, and lean proteins, with some whole grains. But here's the thing - they don't push any one particular diet, you can still eat whatever you want. But their points system is weighted - that is, unhealthy choices have more points, and healthy choices have fewer - regardless of calorie count. This makes you WANT to choose healthier foods and portion sizes so you can maximize your food intake within the points allotted.

It really does work. I am amazed. The past two weeks I've been traveling a lot and eating "correctly" has been a real challenge. WW gives you "extra" cheat points and I usually don't tap into those, but I have been this past two weeks. I've still managed to lose a pound this week - I was AMAZED when I got on the scales this morning!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
They have GREATLY changed their plan. I tried it ten years ago and hated it. I almost didn't go back, but my friends kept raving about it and seeing great results. Finally and reluctantly I did go back - and WOW, what a difference!

The emphasis is DEFINITELY on healthy choices - specifically fruits, veggies, and lean proteins, with some whole grains. But here's the thing - they don't push any one particular diet, you can still eat whatever you want. But their points system is weighted - that is, unhealthy choices have more points, and healthy choices have fewer - regardless of calorie count. This makes you WANT to choose healthier foods and portion sizes so you can maximize your food intake within the points allotted.
What does it mean to be "healthy"? They used to put far too much emphasis on fiber in their points back in the day. A point was based on calorie, fat and fiber. The fat content increased the points. I think that is dumb. There is nothing wrong with fat except that it is calorie dense. By measuring strictly calories, the fat's effect is considered. It needn't increase the points of the food beyond that. And I think they over did the impact on fiber.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
What does it mean to be "healthy"? They used to put far too much emphasis on fiber in their points back in the day. A point was based on calorie, fat and fiber. The fat content increased the points. I think that is dumb. There is nothing wrong with fat except that it is calorie dense. By measuring strictly calories, the fat's effect is considered. It needn't increase the points of the food beyond that. And I think they over did the impact on fiber.
I don't remember much about their older program.

From what I can tell, their newer program doesn't just count all fats equally - for instance, fats from, say, an avocado, are weighted differently from, say, canola oil.

I could be wrong but my point is - overall, I really like the way they lower points for healthier foods to encourage healthier dietary choices.

WW doesn't say there's anything implicitly "wrong" with fats, by the way.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I don't remember much about their older program.

From what I can tell, their newer program doesn't just count all fats equally - for instance, fats from, say, an avocado, are weighted differently from, say, canola oil.
Back in the day, you plugged calories, fiber and fat into a calculate to get the point value. The point value was increased by increased fat in the calculator. Fiber would lower the point value.

Seems like now it asks you for fat, carb, protein and fiber to get your point value. I suppose it is possible it uses the values to strictly count calories. But I doubt it.

Quote:
I could be wrong but my point is - overall, I really like the way they lower points for healthier foods to encourage healthier dietary choices.

WW doesn't say there's anything implicitly "wrong" with fats, by the way.

Well however you want to put it, by increasing the point value for a fat calorie compared to any other calorie is problematic. Fat is very handy component of hunger management.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Back in the day, you plugged calories, fiber and fat into a calculate to get the point value. The point value was increased by increased fat in the calculator. Fiber would lower the point value.

Seems like now it asks you for fat, carb, protein and fiber to get your point value. I suppose it is possible it uses the values to strictly count calories. But I doubt it.

Well however you want to put it, by increasing the point value for a fat calorie compared to any other calorie is problematic. Fat is very handy component of hunger management.
All I can tell you is that the program, used correctly, results in weight loss at a slowish, but healthy pace for most people. It's really, really working for me and has helped me formulate and continue a very healthy diet.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
All I can tell you is that the program, used correctly, results in weight loss at a slowish, but healthy pace for most people. It's really, really working for me and has helped me formulate and continue a very healthy diet.

I am glad it is working for you. I agree that the program results in weight loss. For some people, it involves a degree of discomfort that is mentally challeng to over come if hunger manageemnt is an issue. I am saying because it works well for you does not mean it will work well for everyone.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I am glad it is working for you. I agree that the program results in weight loss. For some people, it involves a degree of discomfort that is mentally challeng to over come if hunger manageemnt is an issue. I am saying because it works well for you does not mean it will work well for everyone.

There is such a wide variety of body types, mentalities, emotional reasons for eating, food allergies and sensitivities, physical activity level, health issues, etc that no one program would work for everyone.

One of the things I really appreciate about WW is that there is so much variety and flexibility built into their overall program - this is why it is successful with so many different types of people.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
There is such a wide variety of body types, mentalities, emotional reasons for eating, food allergies and sensitivities, physical activity level, health issues, etc that no one program would work for everyone.

One of the things I really appreciate about WW is that there is so much variety and flexibility built into their overall program - this is why it is successful with so many different types of people.
I hope they start paying you for your advertising soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness