U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

220 posts, read 418,238 times

Advertisements

Swimming is what I'm talking about.

I've been trying to learn for years. I've taken group lessons and individual private lessons and I've purchased instructional DVD's to reinforce my lessons. Still no luck. I love being in the water but I just am not able to nail it down.

Should I just move on?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 AM

37,378 posts, read 45,511,612 times
What exactly are you trying to learn to do, as your ultimate goal? Swim competitively, learn strokes, not drown?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM

220 posts, read 418,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What exactly are you trying to learn to do, as your ultimate goal? Swim competitively, learn strokes, not drown?

Freestyle swim for exercise and enjoyment. I want to be able to go to the pool and swim, not just "play" in the water.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM

5,476 posts, read 6,756,550 times
When I was 6 years old, my older cousins took me on a boat, and threw me overboard in the middle of the lake. Ive been able to swim like a fish ever since. If you dont have a crazy cousin, I suggest you keep trying, swimming seems almost natural to me since you would swim too if you were about to drawn. Its a nice attainable goal, and im sure youll get it right one day.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM

8,520 posts, read 14,592,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
When I was 6 years old, my older cousins took me on a boat, and threw me overboard in the middle of the lake. Ive been able to swim like a fish ever since. If you dont have a crazy cousin, I suggest you keep trying, swimming seems almost natural to me since you would swim too if you were about to drawn. Its a nice attainable goal, and im sure youll get it right one day.
I'm sure this "advice" will help the OP.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

8,520 posts, read 14,592,561 times
Hi Op,

if you've given it your best shot, there is nothing wrong with backing away. "We" like to believe "giving up" is a sign of failure, it's not. You know you better than any of us. It's okay.

I've done plenty of things and the end result was........moving on. Sometimes we need to do that.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,861,875 times
Quote:
Your anecdote is nearly useless. For some people, swimming is instinctive. For many it is not remotely a natural activity.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM

5,209 posts, read 9,585,139 times
What kind of trouble are you having? Are you able to float (front or back)? If you can float, can you kick your feet or move your arms without sinking?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,861,875 times
For the OP - when you say you can't nail it down, what is wrong with your swimming?

I swim regularly for fitness and occasionally compete as a Masters (old!) swimmer. Many of the adults who join us in the morning are not good swimmers. But they get better over time. Some are triathlete wanna-be athletes. Others just want to swim for fitness. A child can become a fairly proficient swimmer in one or two years. An adult will have a much harder time. One of my sons took three years to properly learn to swim butterfly. He struggled to get the timing correct between kick and arms. But he eventually became very good at swimming fly, competing at the state level in high school.

My ideas for you if you want to attain your goals:

1. Find an instructor with good experience teaching and training adult swimmers.
2. Don't change instructors. You will not be helped by getting conflicting advice (breathe both sides/don't breathe both sides).
3. Keep it simple. Don't try advanced things before you are good at basics.
4. Video tape yourself so you can see what you are doing wrong.

Top things I see adults do wrong swimming freestyle/crawl:

- not exhaling underwater before they turn their head to breathe. if you have to exhale and inhale when you turn your head to breathe you will probably come to a halt because it takes too long.
- trying to breathe on both sides when they aren't yet good at breathing on one side.
- sinking legs because of an ineffective kick

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,342,491 times
Quote:
This gave me the creeps.
Do you have any idea how many drownings there are every year?
Over 300,000 to 1/2 million per year nationwide.
You were very lucky. So was your dumb cousin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness