Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,090,422 times

Advertisements

Gyms have parking lots so the guys can leave their cars there, meet their girlfriends, and when their wives cruise by and see the dude's car at the gym, they think all is well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,960,577 times
Wow... At my Gym there are at least 100 other exercises to do besides walking or running

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,534,960 times
I live 10 miles away from the gym. I go to kickboxing class there on my way home from work. I prefer to walk outside, but I can't do that if it's dark outside, and in the winter it's dark by 4:30 (not to mention it can get dangerously cold). In the summer I have rattlesnakes to worry about. I had a too close encounter with one on my walk last week. I still prefer to exercise outside, but there are many situations where the treadmill at the gym is a smarter choice.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,678,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People baffle me. Why do people drive to the gym just so they can run on a treadmill, then drive home?? If all you're doing is cardio, why not just walk to the gym then walk home?? Save yourself some gas and membership fees!

If you live in the 'hood, and are too afraid to step outside, why not just stay home and do jumping jacks and burpees? Doing that for 20 minutes will exhaust you more than any dumb treadmill would.

The only logical reason to join a gym is for the weights or swimming pool. But I know a couple of fitness bunnies who drive there for only cardio machines. Truly a head-scratcher
Depends on the cardio machine. Some people can't walk or run for weight or joint reasons. They could choose a machine that would not stress those issues. I think females in particular just feel safer in a gym. No dogs will be running out and biting them. LOL
I do think its a good idea to find a gym close enough for walking if you can. Then your walk there can just be your warmup and you are ready to go from the doorway. Plus...saves gas $$$.

I wouldn't advise jumping jacks inside a ghetto apartment for 20 minutes. Just get a stationary bike with magnetic resistance (silent) so the neighbors don't stab you for pounding on their ceiling with your feet for 20 mins. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ill considered questions baffle me. Add in Poor logic and Jovian conclustions.

Walking is not cardio. Running fast is cardio. You cannot do this in safety on sidewalks with people,byciclists, or vehicles existing/entering roadways.

By your logic no needs to go to the gym and use the pool. One can use the local lake. Heft things at home instead of weights at the gym.

20 minutes? You are a cupcake.
And you are misinformed. Walking is certainly a cardio conditioning exercise.

Is Walking Cardio Exercise? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Just as a general warning people should be cautious about swimming in freshwater lakes this year. The brain parasite problem is starting to spread in freshwater bodies.

Naegleria fowleri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,903,274 times
It was about 25 years ago that I was hit, knocked down and run over by a car. My injuries were relatively minimal (Big strong woman!) but my upper arm took the brunt of the running over part of the accident. After a couple of months, my boss, (a doctor, no less) noticed I was favoring that arm and after testing, realized that much of my bicep had deteriorated. He immediately ordered rehab and the nearest one (12 miles away) was at a very well-known, well-used gym in our area. I was there three mornings a week working with a personal trainer who managed my rehab to the point that I recouped all the lost muscle and strength. Thank you, Ernie.

It takes me about 20 minutes to walk a mile. Do the math. That's why gyms have parking lots.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM

4,561 posts, read 4,810,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
There is also a staircase positioned between the two escalators for those of us strong enough to climb stairs before our workout.
If you are handicapped, you can't use an escalator either Ever try to put a wheelchair on one?
Escalators are only for being lazy and maximizing throughput.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Walking is not cardio.
Of course it is. Don't be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Just as a general warning people should be cautious about swimming in freshwater lakes this year. The brain parasite problem is starting to spread in freshwater bodies.

Naegleria fowleri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am so sorry I clicked on that link! Ewwwww ...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,957,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
If you are handicapped, you can't use an escalator either Ever try to put a wheelchair on one?
The vast majority of people who are handicapped don't require wheelchairs.

Most are simply old and have bad hips, knees, etc. Some require canes and other devices to walk. Some have respiratory illnesses, and get out of breath easily.

Escalators are there for whoever needs them.

In some situations they might help throughput as you mentioned, when it is a high volume situation, such as in an airport or a busy shopping mall.

But for a strip shopping center like this one in San Diego, there are rarely more than one or two people on it at any given time.

Here it simply helps the elderly, etc. get to the second level.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
i prefer an escalator to stairs. i have my time for exercise and outside of that time, i dont pretend that im getting a workout because i go up some stairs. fat people are hilarious. they will sit on their butts all day eating twinkies and 1,000 calorie frappuccinos, but then they will make a decision to walk up a set of stairs instead of an escalator and feel good about their healthy decision. if you are going to mock the idea of people using an escalator to get into a gym, you better not be overweight because you have probably made many worse decisions than choosing an escalator over a flight of stairs.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,620,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Do you have any real knowledge of what handicap means? It does not mean your in a wheelchair, it means you have a diability. That disability can be a missing leg or it can be a condition that prevents stability while climbing. Please don't equate handicap with only those in a wheelcair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness