Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 9,960 times

Advertisements

okay, looks like I have to start getting back to the dating scene after my divorce gets finalized and I need to firm up a bit. I'm 48, about 30lbs over ideal weight, and I do limited excercise right now due to some medical issues but getting back into shape is part of my recovery treatment. I am planning for about 2years self-improvement efforts to completely transform myself physically so that when I'm 50, I'm in the best shape possible. Are there any guys out there who have done the same?

Also, looking for ideas for changing my eating and drinking habits. Due to my diabetes, I've doing pretty good at curbing my sugars and carbs. But I know I have eating habits that hit the 3000 daily calorie intake, especially with the happy hour brews. Yeah, I know I gotta stop, it's a problem but a form of stress release.

Anyway, any words of encouragement and links to resources, etc. to get me going would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM

17,383 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newme50 View Post
Also, looking for ideas for changing my eating and drinking habits. Due to my diabetes, I've doing pretty good at curbing my sugars and carbs. But I know I have eating habits that hit the 3000 daily calorie intake, especially with the happy hour brews. Yeah, I know I gotta stop, it's a problem but a form of stress release.

Anyway, any words of encouragement and links to resources, etc. to get me going would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
It sounds to me that you already know what you need to do. Why aren't you doing it?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newme50 View Post
okay, looks like I have to start getting back to the dating scene after my divorce gets finalized and I need to firm up a bit. I'm 48, about 30lbs over ideal weight, and I do limited excercise right now due to some medical issues but getting back into shape is part of my recovery treatment. I am planning for about 2years self-improvement efforts to completely transform myself physically so that when I'm 50, I'm in the best shape possible. Are there any guys out there who have done the same?

Honestly, working out is the best stress relief because your mind remains super sharp and hyperactive.

Sign up for Men's Health free newsletter and tips. They also have links to workout plans depending on age group.

Ensure your doctor passes you for strenuous activity.

Get full blood levels done and discuss with a good endocrinologist who is familar with men's aging research if not already done to check your T-levels:

[SIZE=2]iodine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Zinc[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Ferritin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Magnesium[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Fibrinogen[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Hemoglobin A1C[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]C-Reactive Protein (CRP), Highly Sensitive, CSF - (17401X)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]T3 Free[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Aldosterone[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cortisol AM/PM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]DHEA sulfate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Prolactin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]FSH[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]LH[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Progesterone, LC/MS/MS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Pregnenolone[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Estradiol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36169X)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Estrogens, Fractionated, LC/MS/MS (36742X)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Estrogen, Total, Serum (439X)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Dihydrotestosterone, Free, Serum (36168X) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

I have no info for the remainder. Always was proactive with good health and practices and in truly excellent shape. I did notice beginning in February 2011 the first signs of aging and reduced cardio routines for weight lifting. All good now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

NB: Pardon the brackets in the size fonts. I copy pasted from an email.

I am 47.5 as of this writing. Same as you. You can do it in less than one year.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-03-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It sounds to me that you already know what you need to do. Why aren't you doing it?
Yeah, I do know what I need to do and this is my starting point. While I don't want to start making excuses, I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and didn't realize the impact of high blood sugar levels on you energy level. Totally saps its, but I gotta be honest with myself and say it involves some lethargy on my part. Just hard to get out of the well right now. I also have low testosterome, which also makes it a challenge. But, again, I know it's about creating a new patterns for success. Thanks for kicking me in the pants, I know I gotta hear it.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
What kind of activities are you looking at? Walking? Running? Biking? Tennis? Racketball? What kind of other exercises are going to do? Weightlifting? Calisthenics? Yoga?

It is possible to lose weight walking. But walking doesn't burn many calories. So your diet would have to be stricter. Of course with diabetes your diet will need to be strict anyway.

I'm in my mid 50s and lost 30lbs 4 years ago. I was 205 and walking 3 mi per day at the time. Two things made the difference for me. I started counting calories. Just temporarily to get a feel for where I was. I soon realized that walking even 3 mi/day wasn't burning many calories.

The second was my car broke down. Even tho my Dr had recommended not riding due to a back condition I had to use my bicycle to fix the vehicle. After my first day riding in years my back felt fine. When I calculated the calories it was an OMG moment. I burned more calories in 2 hours riding than the rest of the weeks walking.

So I decided to start riding again. Just experimentally at first. I told myself start small. I did. 3 mi to work and back. Within a month I was riding closer to 12 mi/day. After 3 months my back never felt better. BTW: I was stretching my back every day, still am. Within a year I was down the 30lbs.

You are going to have to change your diet due to the diabetes. This is the perfect time to change your exercise habits as well. Pick something you will like and then take that first step.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,603 times
Yeah, I'd look into biking or spinning. I know several guys (young and old) who have dropped 30+ lbs in less than a year thanks to a bike.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM

17,383 posts, read 16,524,581 times
You're still pretty young, so if you can get your diabetes under control, your food/drinking habits in check along with a consistent exercise routine going, you can definitely be a "new" fit and younger looking/feeling you by the time your 50. Good luck! And keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 36,598 times
About 3 years ago a lot of stuff in my life spun out of control (women, work, etc). I had always "sort of" worked out so I was not in too bad of shape, but not where I wanted to be.

I realized the one thing I had absolute control over was what I ate and how I spent my free time. Made a major commitment to ME!
I'm now 60 and in the best shape of my life. When I see how far I have come, it energizes me to continue.

Look at another thread here: A five-point philosophy of fitness
Great advice on making exercise part of your lifestyle.
Sorry, don't know how to post as a link.

Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
1) Embrace physical activity:

Try to really enjoy the feel of moving with the energy you have when you’re fit. Take pleasure in the challenge of pushing yourself to have a good workout. If you really enjoy physical activity for its own sake, exercise stops being a chore. It’s true that some individual workouts may feel that way, but in general you’ll have a positive attitude toward exercise if you get so you take pleasure in movement.

2) Emphasize activities you enjoy:

It’s like that old advice to make a living doing something you love, so you’ll never work a day in your life. In the same way, engaging in a physical activity you enjoy for its own sake means you don’t have to “exercise.” You just do what gives you pleasure.

3) Make fitness a basic approach to living.

“Dieting” in the sense all too many people mean will usually lead to failure. If you approach changes in eating habits as just something you’ll do until you’ve lost 10, 15, 20, 50 pounds or whatever, most likely you’ll go back to your old habits once you’ve lost the weight, and then gain it all back. The same goes for “shaping up for summer.” If you approach exercise during the spring as something you’re pushing yourself to do just to look good on the beach in a few months, most likely you’ll fall back into your old lazy habits after Labor Day. If you view exercise and eating right as habits you’re incorporating into your life to make a healthier you, that’s the way you’re likely to succeed in the long run.

4) Respect other people’s exercise preferences:

If you’re a real gym rat and you know someone with more modest exercise goals, like long walks, respect those individual differences in how people prefer to live. Any regular physical activity is better than becoming permanently attached to the couch. In the same way, if your exercise goals are modest, don’t knock those who spend a lot of time in the gym as “muscle heads.” We all have our passions. For some people it’s gardening, for others it’s writing poetry, for others music, and for others it’s taking on the challenge of working out hard. Respect each other’s different preferences for exercise.

5) Stay balanced:

Exercise is great for you, but so are other parts of your life. Get exercise. Exercise seriously if that’s your thing, but don’t let it consume your life. Make sure you have time for other important areas of your life as well.

It was really well done. I copied/pasted above. I sent it to a few friends diffident regarding exercise but needing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness