Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

sponger42 wrote:
If you're in a hurry, you can do what newageredneck suggests, but keep in mind that no muscle group is isolated. You're not going to be able to really max out your triceps right after maxing your biceps.
Being aware of this, I vary which exercise I do first. EG: Some workouts I'll start with biceps, followed by triceps, and other times I'll start with triceps, followed by biceps. For my arms, the weights I use when exercising a body part first in the sequence are just 5 lbs heavier than when I exercise the same body part 2nd in the sequence. That tells me I'm resting just long enough to work the 2nd bodypart in the sequence almost as intensely as I work it when it is first in the sequence. The difference is minimal!

blessings....Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Depends on what your aims are on how much weight, I usually go for 30 seconds maybe 40 seconds

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosmj View Post
depends entirely on your goals.
what are your goals?
To get into better shape and stay in shape. I'm 53 y/o and trying to delay Father Time.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
For power (to be able to lift more weight): rest until your muscles have mostly recovered from the exercise - about one to two minutes. This is mostly done explosively for fewer reps than traditional body building.

For strength and muscle size: rest only until your heart rate gets back down and your muscles have had minimal time to recover - about 45 seconds to a minute. The idea is to recruit more muscle tissue to help you lift the same weight (and break more muscle tissue down). The "I go - you go" method is sometimes a little too long.

For cardiovascular and muscular endurance: string several exercises into a circuit and jump immediately from one to the other - like the CrossFit method. This is what I am doing now, and the results are pretty good. The whole workout takes about 15-20 minutes, and I am close to puking every time. Intensity is the key here.

Jim

Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Great tips. I really appreciate them.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:56 AM

14 posts, read 55,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
To get into better shape and stay in shape. I'm 53 y/o and trying to delay Father Time.
That's an intent, not a goal. A goal would be, lose 15 lbs in 12 months. Run a 10K in 60 minutes or less.

That said, Since it sounds like you don't want to go for raw strength but would prefer more of a "fitness" approach. Why take a rest. You can knock out a great circuit in 15 - 20 minutes that will wear you out and shape you up fast.
Ignore all the "really hit your bis and tris" silliness unless you want to get some guns. Right now, focus on getting used to the weights and the work. Keep your rest short and keep moving. Circuits and Supersets will get you taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness