Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times

Advertisements

There's some big meathead at the Paramus Retro Fitness, Frank who sucks in his gut, and sticks out his arms every time a skinny girl walks by, it's hilarious. He pours on the charm, "Welcome to Retro". HA HA HA !!!!!

I should tape him with my iPhone and upload it to Youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your gym have a sign, "Overweight only" ?? That's hilarious. Snap a picture. That would be some sight.
I was just kidding, just having some fun with the other poster a little bit

Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
I don't know whether to be annoyed or to just laugh it off, but an older guy was trying to give me advice one day. There I was, working out on the abdominal machine while listening to my tunes and minding my own business, when I heard a man's voice saying,

"You're wasting your time!"

I looked up and here was this white-haired guy on the back press machine next to me, looking right at me.

"You're doing it wrong!" he insisted.

I gave him a curious look and inquired,

What am I doing wrong?

"You should have your feet flat on the ground, and you're using too much weight. You're not doing yourself any good."

I know my feet are supposed to be flat, I replied. But if I lower the weights, it won't be enough of a challenge.

"You know, you'd be a pretty girl if you'd lose some weight," he cheerfully proclaimed. "Maybe you should do this." And he illustrated that last remark by pretending to zip his lips shut. I'm sure he thought he was being incredibly witty.

I decided not to point out that he was actually not witty but rude, because that would have brought me down to his level. So I just smiled and said, Tell me something I don't know. Hey, thanks for the advice. Then I went back to my workout.

The reason I'm not offended is that at nearly 64 I am amused that any guy would strike up a conversation with me at all, let alone call me a "girl." Maybe Mr. Helpful was trying to flirt, who knows. With an approach like that, I'll bet he doesn't get much action.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
And people not wiping after themselves. It's like seriously? Oh, and naked old white guys in the locker room.
Unfortunately at my gym NO ONE wipes down the weight machines since there are no wipes or cleaners of any kind in the weight area. Seriously Gold's gym?

Also, I've discovered that if the population at my gym is an accurate cross-section of the populace in general, only about 4% of men are wearing underwear at any given time

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Also, I've discovered that if the population at my gym is an accurate cross-section of the populace in general, only about 4% of men are wearing underwear at any given time
LOL

The only thing that really annoys me is when people sit on a machine forever without actually doing anything but fiddling with their iPod, or resting between sets.

Other than that, I try to just do what I came to do, and get out.

Though I will say, I've been bothered by really foul breath or BO on the cardio machines. Or too much cologne/body spray. When I'm running, I don't want to have to worry that the air around me is too toxic to breathe in.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Just curious what tings about the gym annoy you, or things people do at the gym.

I have a few big ones.

-People who do not breakdown their weight once they are done. It's pretty annoying when someone is benching 275 and walks off and the next person has to breakdown the plates.
-People who fill big water bottles up at the fountain. Takes forever and creates a line. Use the sink in the locker room, the water is all the same.
-People who will hog a squat rack for a long period of time. Doing 4 sets of squats, then 4 sets of deadlift then 4 sets of cleans all in a row ties the rack up for a pretty long time.
-People who use the Olympic (45lb bar) to do curls. If there is a pre set bar with a weight you can do, then use that. Unless you're curling a weight that is higher than the pre set bars, then fine.
Having to ask the chatters and socializers to get up from their comfy positions on the weight machines. I came to work, then I'll chat a little with my friends.

"Ladies" who don't clean up after themselves in the LADIES room.

When the card reader doesn't read your membership card correctly.

A fellow gymgoer who wants to talk to you about your workout, WHILE you're attempting to finish it!

Members of the female feline kingdom (cougars, tigresses, etc) who try to flirt with the good looking members of the gym staff.

That's about it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I am happy to see 300 pound women there because that means i dont have to feel im the only one out of shape trying to make myself better/healthier.

What I dont like - people with those plastic suits they wear to make them sweat (they are long pants and long sleeved and made out of plastic to make them sweat - except that they have the worst body odor that seems to travel, sorry, I know they are trying to sweat, but it smells really bad. sorry.

also, in the jacuzzi, while I am sitting there watching people walk across the pool area, some guys wear those teeny tight speedos, and you can see all their junk. Sometimes a guy is cute, fine, but some of the guys really look skeevy depending on thier body shape and the size of their junk,,,, and its like ewwwwww.. please wear board shorts!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I don't know whether to be annoyed or to just laugh it off, but an older guy was trying to give me advice one day. There I was, working out on the abdominal machine while listening to my tunes and minding my own business, when I heard a man's voice saying,

"You're wasting your time!"

I looked up and here was this white-haired guy on the back press machine next to me, looking right at me.

"You're doing it wrong!" he insisted.

I gave him a curious look and inquired,

What am I doing wrong?

"You should have your feet flat on the ground, and you're using too much weight. You're not doing yourself any good."

I know my feet are supposed to be flat, I replied. But if I lower the weights, it won't be enough of a challenge.

"You know, you'd be a pretty girl if you'd lose some weight," he cheerfully proclaimed. "Maybe you should do this." And he illustrated that last remark by pretending to zip his lips shut. I'm sure he thought he was being incredibly witty.

I decided not to point out that he was actually not witty but rude, because that would have brought me down to his level. So I just smiled and said, Tell me something I don't know. Hey, thanks for the advice. Then I went back to my workout.

The reason I'm not offended is that at nearly 64 I am amused that any guy would strike up a conversation with me at all, let alone call me a "girl." Maybe Mr. Helpful was trying to flirt, who knows. With an approach like that, I'll bet he doesn't get much action.
Oh yeah, he was flirting. 1940's Sam Spade gumshoe style, but still trying to get his "mack" on with you!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I am happy to see 300 pound women there because that means i dont have to feel im the only one out of shape trying to make myself better/healthier.

What I dont like - people with those plastic suits they wear to make them sweat (they are long pants and long sleeved and made out of plastic to make them sweat - except that they have the worst body odor that seems to travel, sorry, I know they are trying to sweat, but it smells really bad. sorry.

also, in the jacuzzi, while I am sitting there watching people walk across the pool area, some guys wear those teeny tight speedos, and you can see all their junk. Sometimes a guy is cute, fine, but some of the guys really look skeevy depending on thier body shape and the size of their junk,,,, and its like ewwwwww.. please wear board shorts!
So it's okay for you to be out of shape in the gym, but not for guys? You say you're out of shape. Do you wear a swim suit that covers your body entirely less you condemn others to see your misshapen body?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
That's it, I'm going to dump cologne on myself while pumping up my biceps in the squat rack next time I go to the gym.

Sometimes the gay guys annoy me a little with the eye sex, and at this particular gym probably half the dudes in there are gay. I get it, you think I'm attractive. It a just gets a little old being oogled in the locker room and elsewhere when I have no interest in batting from that side of the plate. Why can't the women be that friendly for christ sakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness