Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times

Advertisements

Only things that bother me are when people do inconsiderate things like leave weights stacked after finishing exercise, not wiping down sweaty equipment, etc. I don't understand where the mentality comes from where other people should clean up after you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Not really irritating but more funny. Certain guys that make alot of noise when they lift. They tend to grunt groan and scream then you look at what they are doing and they really aren't moving that much weight. I guess they are feeling the burn...... soemtimes it sounds like they are getting burned alive!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Not really irritating but more funny. Certain guys that make alot of noise when they lift. They tend to grunt groan and scream then you look at what they are doing and they really aren't moving that much weight. I guess they are feeling the burn...... soemtimes it sounds like they are getting burned alive!

I do not grunt, but I do know depending on the lift, the amount I lift does not look like a lot but it is for me. Perhaps these guys are newbies and giving it all they have? I agree it is funny, and annoying.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
But the one that you are on, had the best view that she wanted. Plus, it was probably right under the a/c so it's cooler.
the one i was on wasn't near any a/c vent, and there were several other vacant machines in close proximity with similar views. it's annoying and i wish people wouldn't do that. i don't like being watched. find another machine and suck it up

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I always find it amusing when people bring their iPads to the gym, along with 5 other techy devices attached on each arm with wires hanging out everywhere.

It's as if they can't live without some form of entertainment on them at all times. I'm fine with the old iPod and headphones, but when I see people fumbling with some electronic device for 5 minutes while standing on the treadmill, getting things all set up for their 15 minute run, I find it a little funny. Not annoying per se, but funny.

To each his own though. I don't really criticize people too much at the gym. I figure it's everyone's retreat from a stressful day of work... and for that reason, I pretty much ignore people's little idiosyncracies.

I'm somewhat guilty of this. While I never talk/text/email while i'm in the gym I cannot work out without my Ipod or phone to provide me with music. The piped in music that my gym plays is beyond horrible (at least it is horrible to me). Screechy pop music (think Beiber, Mylie Cyrus or Rhianna) does not really get me in the mood to bust out a tough workout. Nothing else seems to be on the play list. Absolutely no rock or metal is played and I don't think I've ever heard country or even any rap. Just bubblegum music. Honestly, I don't know how I ever got thru workout (especially cardio) before the advent of the ipod.

Headphones also allow me to keep conversation to a minimum. While I don't want to be unfriendly, I want to get in and get out ASAP. I'm not at the gym to shoot the breeze or hit on da chicks.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM

101 posts, read 173,721 times
I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I can't stand when people show up late to group classes. I don't take yoga where quiet/focus is required, but I do find lateness distracting. Anything less than five minutes is fine, but sometimes at my Zumba class, we'll have people show up 10 minutes late or more.

The kicker was one day where a lady who I've seen in class before came late. Instead of staying in the back of the room, she insisted on walking up to the front of class and jumping in the routine. Why she didn't stay in the back and just finish out the current song, then come up front I will never understand. It was kind of distracting and rude of her to walk past everyone else who was on time just so she could have her spot.

Also, people who don't give you enough space in class. I last went to Zumba at my gym two weeks ago (haven't been able to make classes due to a promotion at work, which has required me to train on a modified schedule), and this one lady was so close to me that she nearly stepped on me at least two or three times. So frustrating.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
and women. It's especially *fun* when it sounds like they are orgasming loud enough for EVERYONE in the gym to hear. Everyones heads were turning, wondering what the heck was going on! Yes, we had a woman do this last year. Thankfully, she no longer comes to my gym.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'm somewhat guilty of this. While I never talk/text/email while i'm in the gym I cannot work out without my Ipod or phone to provide me with music. The piped in music that my gym plays is beyond horrible (at least it is horrible to me). Screechy pop music (think Beiber, Mylie Cyrus or Rhianna) does not really get me in the mood to bust out a tough workout. Nothing else seems to be on the play list. Absolutely no rock or metal is played and I don't think I've ever heard country or even any rap. Just bubblegum music. Honestly, I don't know how I ever got thru workout (especially cardio) before the advent of the ipod.

Headphones also allow me to keep conversation to a minimum. While I don't want to be unfriendly, I want to get in and get out ASAP. I'm not at the gym to shoot the breeze or hit on da chicks.
Having an mp3 player for music is like, a must. And if you're doing cardio that doesn't have you bouncing around too much, it even makes sense to have say, an Ipad to watch a movie.

What's weird, are people reading magazines or E-books. If you can focus enough on whatever is in front of you enough to read, you're not working very hard.

It's not annoying, because it doesn't affect me, it's just something odd I've noticed.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Alright, some guy was doing deadlifts today, and his shins were bleeding from the bar scraping against them. I'm watching him do this and I'm just thinking, this should not be allowed. It's not sanitary. It's a ****ing health hazard. You're bleeding on equipment.

Sweat is one thing, but blood? Come on man. Wear some damn sweat pants or something.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM

175 posts, read 315,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Alright, some guy was doing deadlifts today, and his shins were bleeding from the bar scraping against them. I'm watching him do this and I'm just thinking, this should not be allowed. It's not sanitary. It's a ****ing health hazard. You're bleeding on equipment.

Sweat is one thing, but blood? Come on man. Wear some damn sweat pants or something.

Or learn proper technique. That is inexcusable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness