Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
I once saw a girl who was eating chips at the gym LOL. I don't think that's a proper work out.
I wouldn't be so sure...

Presidential Fitness Test Now Awarded To Any Kid Who Can Eat Without Sweating | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Just to clarify for other posts (and possibly yourself), this is a fake news site only for amusement purposes.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Just to clarify for other posts (and possibly yourself), this is a fake news site only for amusement purposes.

Anyone who thinks anything from the Onion is anything near real needs to get their sense of humor checked.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Those stuck up granola bar crunching fitness obsessed people who like to make fun others who aren't like them.

Also those masculine manly dyke looking women who go to gyms and think they're men.

I also don't like those people who yell and stare at people.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When you add it all up. The majority of gyms (not all) but the majority of them, represent much of the culture of much of the USA. Somewhat disconnected from others, rather insular and even a nod of the head meaning hello, is much to much for many. People literally treat their dogs better or so it seems. Rather sad I think. I do think people can and should especially regulars at a gym give off a friendly vibe. I would also think the gym itself would want to be known as a friendly place to workout. As well as a place where gym goers clean up after themselves, and not leave their mess for the next person. There is nothing wrong with that.

That doesn't mean you stop and talk thru your workout, or you conduct yourself as one poster mentioned a Talker. I don't mean that at all. One should have the privacy and peace to conduct their workout properly. It does mean there is no need to be completely unfriendly, as if someone is going to nod a hello or the slightest act of friendliness. Would be considered annoying and improper. As if you are some Royalty where everyone else is beneath you. I'm particularly talking about smaller gyms with the same people over and over. Year after year. That to me is not a friendly or satisfactory place to workout, year after year seeing the exact same people behaving like that. God forbid their also the slobs of the gym which would make it all the worse. I do believe people that act like that give off that vibe wherever they go. I do not for one minute think these people, are much different outside of the gym.

. That's why I say many gyms in the USA, represent a big part of what has become acceptable in local cultures. Whether in a gym or in neighborhoods, employment centers. Practically everywhere now. Its not considered proper to show even the slightest sign of friendliness. It is more proper to stare at the floor or at a wall or better yet the IPOD or phone. If one suspects someone is approaching that will say hello. The only place I have seen this behaviour less often is in the southeast. Outside of bigger Metro's that is. It is rather sad but welcome to the modern day generation.

Yes but consider maybe everyone is waiting around for everyone else to say something to each other and the end result is just silence.

I have had a lot of luck making friends with people at the gym. Mainly through asking people questions, asking regulars for a spot when you need it, complimenting people randomly (while being friendly not creepy). People are so intimidated by one another... its ridiculous, just say something. What are they going to do? Throw a weight at you? Completely ignore you? Only a sh*tty person not worth talking to won't want to talk back and i've yet to have that happen. However have some common sense about it... don't interrupt their routine, say something rude, creepy or awkward. I think everyone would be surprised how simple it is and how far a friendly "hey, hows it going" can go, especially if you see them ALL the time.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Guys who bring enough clothes, accessories, etc for a weekend out of town and then proceed to spread it all on a bench in locker room so that there is no room for anyone else or their stuff. About half the time they say 'oh sorry' and make you a space and the other half they just stare at you like you're in their way.

Also 24 Hour often has an all female cleaning crew at night. So they just rope off the men's locker room with that police tape and you can't use it for an hour. Really annoying.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Better to annoy one person than fifty (referring to whoisjongalts cleaning comment).

Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Guys who bring enough clothes, accessories, etc for a weekend out of town and then proceed to spread it all on a bench in locker room so that there is no room for anyone else or their stuff. About half the time they say 'oh sorry' and make you a space and the other half they just stare at you like you're in their way.

Also 24 Hour often has an all female cleaning crew at night. So they just rope off the men's locker room with that police tape and you can't use it for an hour. Really annoying.

At least they clean it. The one I go to here in Arizona. I don't think the locker room and bathroom, have seen a mop in months.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I can't believe I hadn't thought to mention that yet in this thread. At my location, not only do they rope it off when the chicks are in there cleaning, but they guard it like the airport when Air Force One is landing. Even if you just want to go in there to retrieve your stuff from your locker at the end of a workout, they give you a hard time. I've gotten heated with them MANY times over this.

How about the jackasses who throw a towel over a piece of equipment to "claim" it, then disappear for 10+ minutes. That actually happened this morning at 24 Hour. I finally removed the towel myself, wiped my balls with it, and threw it on the floor. I'm sorry, but I learned to workout as a teenager in a little power gym owned by a guy named Rex who didn't put up with S$*#, and I'll be damned if I ever become tolerant of the way people act in most gyms nowadays.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I am going to cancel my membership at 24 Hour Fitness this weekend as I have joined a new gym closer to home that is much nicer (and cheaper)...a lot of my peeves are 24 Hour Fitness-related but some are general.

I HATE how they never CLEAN the machines. They're disgusting.

I hate how machines will be broken for weeks on end.

I hate how the place is like a freaking greenhouse in summer so they put all these floor fans out and princesses will get on a machine and point the fan directly at THEMSELVES instead of letting it oscillate so we can all enjoy it.

I hate how the weight dudes sweat all over the weight benches and machines and don't wipe them down. YOU ARE NASTY.

If you're sick, DON'T COME TO THE GYM.

If you have kids, don't let them run around the gym. The gym is for grownups. Personally I think there should be a separate entrance for a childcare center and nobody under 18 should ever be allowed into the actual gym. No exceptions. I've done group fitness classes at 24 Hour Fitness where peoples' toddlers have been wandering around at the back of the room. Unacceptable. I've also had to pause while lifting free weights or using machines because peoples' young children were wandering around and I did not want to hit them with weights. Of course, you can't tell them to get out of the way because their moms will POUNCE on you and call you a child-hater. I don't hate children, but I DO hate children IN THE GYM. I think YOU hate your children for letting them wander around in the gym where they could get hurt.

Speaking of group fitness classes...there is a limit to how many people can fit in a room and how much equipment there is. I hate it when group fitness teachers let a class get so packed that we hardly have any room to move around. That's BS. Say the class is full and don't let anyone else in. Period.

Ladies...I am female and I have seen what you do in the bathroom. You are gross.

Ladies...don't wear PERFUME to the gym. I hate it when you get on the machine next to me and I can smell your cheap drugstore 'body spray' or heavy perfume. You STINK. Stop it.

Guys...I don't know if you're aware of this, but your sweat stinks. Bring a towel and wipe yourself AND the equipment down. Nobody wants to sit in a puddle of your stinky man sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness