Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
-People who do not breakdown their weight once they are done. It's pretty annoying when someone is benching 275 and walks off and the next person has to breakdown the plates.
Yes this is rude but only a minor inconvenience unless they are using like 4 plates.

Quote:
-People who fill big water bottles up at the fountain. Takes forever and creates a line. Use the sink in the locker room, the water is all the same.
Bring your own water to the gym then. Think about it like this. If they didn't fill their water battles, they would be getting a drink every 5 minutes anyways. Same amount of time at the water fountain either way.

Quote:
-People who will hog a squat rack for a long period of time. Doing 4 sets of squats, then 4 sets of deadlift then 4 sets of cleans all in a row ties the rack up for a pretty long time.
This doesn't bother me either because I'm one of those people. Join a gym with more squat racks IMO or find a less busy time. Most of the things I do require a squat rack or platform (which happen to be in front of the racks at my gym) so I made sure my gym had plenty of squat racks.

Quote:
-People who use the Olympic (45lb bar) to do curls. If there is a pre set bar with a weight you can do, then use that. Unless you're curling a weight that is higher than the pre set bars, then fine.
That doesn't bother me either. I prefer a straight bar over a curl bar when doing curls. The curl bar actually is less effective at working the biceps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
Yes this is rude but only a minor inconvenience unless they are using like 4 plates.
275lbs = 45lb bar + (4 x 45lbs) + (2 x 25lbs) so it would be a minimum of 6 plates.

Quote:
Bring your own water to the gym then. Think about it like this. If they didn't fill their water battles, they would be getting a drink every 5 minutes anyways. Same amount of time at the water fountain either way.
I also agree these people should not make others wait. Most people who go to fountains are there for a few quick seconds. A large water bottle can take 1 minute or more to refill. If they see a line form behind them while filling their bottle, they should just stop, wait until the line is gone, and then finish filling it.

Quote:
That doesn't bother me either. I prefer a straight bar over a curl bar when doing curls. The curl bar actually is less effective at working the biceps...
This also bothers me when they remove an Olympic bar from a squat rack or bench. It makes the rack or bench unusable until the bar is returned. My gym has many fixed weight straight and easy curl bars, and I still occasionally see people remove an Olympic bar away from the machine it belongs to, and use it in the middle of the floor, instead of grabbing one of these fixed weight bars.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
As much as I hate to do this but I will have to pin the blame for this one on the facility itself and it is " Insuficient Equipment" Some gyms or fitness centers (not all of course) suffer from this problem, they sign in a lot of people some of whom are incredibly strong and fit but they don't provide enough equipment or enough quality equipment for them to train effectively. They expect members to pay their dues but also expect them to make do with whatever they provide. A typical example is when they use a lot of space for things that are not used thst much like tanning beds and other things and lack things that are used a lot more. A couple of tanning beds are ok but they don't really need a bunch of them. Another example is when they have three or four identical machines that are barely ever used. That space and money could be used for stuff that is in more demand.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
275lbs = 45lb bar + (4 x 45lbs) + (2 x 25lbs) so it would be a minimum of 6 plates.
Like I said, it's not too much of an inconvenience unless it's a large amount like the poster specified. In other words, I agreed with him

Quote:
I also agree these people should not make others wait. Most people who go to fountains are there for a few quick seconds. A large water bottle can take 1 minute or more to refill. If they see a line form behind them while filling their bottle, they should just stop, wait until the line is gone, and then finish filling it.
Sure though by the time a line forms behind them they probably will be done. Like I said, bring your own water and you don't have to worry about it

Quote:
This also bothers me when they remove an Olympic bar from a squat rack or bench. It makes the rack or bench unusable until the bar is returned. My gym has many fixed weight straight and easy curl bars, and I still occasionally see people remove an Olympic bar away from the machine it belongs to, and use it in the middle of the floor, instead of grabbing one of these fixed weight bars.
My gym has quite a few extra straight Oly bars so you don't need to take one from the racks. If someone was removing from the squat racks to do curls and there were no other bars around, yea it would annoy me too.

Straight fixed bars would be nice for curls but my gym only has fixed EZ curl bars.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
As much as I hate to do this but I will have to pin the blame for this one on the facility itself and it is " Insuficient Equipment" Some gyms or fitness centers (not all of course) suffer from this problem, they sign in a lot of people some of whom are incredibly strong and fit but they don't provide enough equipment or enough quality equipment for them to train effectively. They expect members to pay their dues but also expect them to make do with whatever they provide. A typical example is when they use a lot of space for things that are not used thst much like tanning beds and other things and lack things that are used a lot more. A couple of tanning beds are ok but they don't really need a bunch of them. Another example is when they have three or four identical machines that are barely ever used. That space and money could be used for stuff that is in more demand.
I agree. A lot of these problems stem from a lack of equipment.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Had to let a guy have it today because he was sitting on the ab machine watching tv. I was like come on dude...Sooo annoying!!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM

467 posts, read 664,810 times
You could not pay me to go back to the gym.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Of the many recurring themes we see on this thread, I think the "people judging others' workouts" comes up the most. For the life of me I don't understand why so many people care about things that don't affect them whatsoever.

Ironically, Scott, it seems that you are passing the same judgment on this guy that annoys you in the first place. Interesting conundrum.

Personally, I've never seen or heard stuff like this happen. I'm sure it does just from the volume of posts like this but I'v enever seen or experienced bullying in the gym since high school.

Maybe I'm just off in my own little world due to my ipod.....

Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
One of the gyms I go to is great but one thing that is a problem the fact that they don't have enough 45 pound plates in the leg section. If a few strong guys are there training legs at the same time it gets hard to find enough plates to do a solid workout. That can be pretty annoying.

We have the same problem in my gym. If the three power racks and three benches are all in use by people using 225 + we run out of plates.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
I was in the gym locker room last week and a guy came up to me and told me I was sitting in his spot on the bench because his locker was "right there" (so was mine). There were plenty of other spaces on the bench and I asked if he was joking. He wasn't. Another time I sat down at a weight machine and the guy at the next machine told me that he was using it, he said "I'm going back and forth". One day a woman left her keys on the floor next to a machine that I wanted to use and moved down a few machines. I picked them up and said "are these your keys?" assuming she forgot them. She gave me an angry look and grabbed them and walked back and threw them down in the original spot in front of the machine I was using!
Wow, someone's mom didn't teach them how to share! What a witch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness