Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

You don't have to do "official HIIT" for intervals to be effective. Just go at a moderate pace, speed up for a bit (as fast as you can) and repeat.

The shorter your speedy interval is, the closer to max you are likely to get. The longer ones might only be "75-80%" of your max.

On the elliptical, the best way to go is to vary your speed, and pretend you are sprinting or running. Measure your RPMs for each interval. Maybe for you "moderate" is 130 RPM and speedy is 200 RPM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension12 View Post
Hi guys. I just began using my eliptical for 20-30 minutes daily, as my second workout of the day. I will be increasing the workout length by 5 minutes, every week or two. I dont run, because it impacts my knees and ankles in a very negative way, because of previous injuries due to sports etc. I wanted to see if anyone uses an elliptical for an HIIT type of training, and how do you exactly do it. The one I have, is pretty basic and doesnt have an HIIT setting.
Do it manual.

One to two minutes warm up at level 6 (mine is an Octane -goes to 20).

Then sprints.

1 minute as fast as you can go. If the machine is shaking too much, up the resistance.
Then drop down to a reasonable pace. I generally wait till my heart rate drops 20 bpm. Then 45 second sprint. Then 4 more 30 second sprints. Waiting each time for heart rate to drop 20. Usually takes me about 45 seconds between sprints.

That is my warmup before lifting, and it is INSANE.

You have to go all out. No giving up!!! Every sprint is everything you have in you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness