Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times

Advertisements

ohh. Ha. I apologize.

Well, to be honest I don't EVER condition. The only conditioning I do is occasional tire drags and cycling/walking (that's hardly conditioning).

Might try it out - but as of now, I don't really need it. That.. and I don't have any time for it! (Already work out 2x per day, 70hr a work week joob and finishing my Masters).

Yeah, I'm finding excuses not to do CF pretty much =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
please stop spreading false information. CrossFit has never been about poor form. That's just you being blatantly obtuse. You dont hide it well.

What's wrong with the pushups? I always see them go chest to ground.

Burpees? Chest to ground, then up.....what's so hard about that?

squats? I usually see them go below parallel with pretty much perfect alignment of knees and feet/toes?

Pullups? Yeah i know the kip.....lots of people bash them, but they are perfectly safe. I still prefer deadhangs, though.

Also, some of the worst form you will see is with the bodybuilder types. I should know. I worked out along side God knows how many for nearly a decade.
The form gets sloppy. A lot of momentum. A lot of jerking the weight. A lot of bouncing from the bottom. Especially with the oly lifts which is just a recipe for disaster. It's all about the numbers. No one in a Box will ever say, do as many as you can while maintaining proper form. Ever. I doubt those words ever have or ever will be said in relation to crossfit. Instead it's, do as many as possible in "X" seconds, no matter the quality.

And yea, you'll see a lot of **** poor form from bodybuilders, but it's dumb. No one encourages cheating. But with crossfit it's the name of the game. Because crossfit is the end unto itself. It's about doing crossfit. Getting as many reps doing crossfit circuit training preparing for imaginary scenarios where luckily, you do things EXACTLY like you did in your crossfit stuff. Like a "martial artist" who knows how to divert a punch provided it's with the left arm, from a specific height and angle, and they have to be positioned exactly right too.

The only thing I don't like about crossfit, aside from the cult like group think mentality and general elitist mentality some, but not most have, is the obsession with reps. Reps reps reps. You'll never see that with anything else. No other training method, no other sport puts so much emphasis on reps despite form. Crossfitters post time, and reps, not form.

Oh, and the exorbitant cost. 250 bucks? Seriously? For what? A bunch of kettleballs?

Oh and again, the "coaches" at these places are often no better than the "trainers" you'll see at most gyms who have no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited by KnownUnknown; 12-30-2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
The form gets sloppy. A lot of momentum. A lot of jerking the weight. A lot of bouncing from the bottom. Especially with the oly lifts which is just a recipe for disaster. It's all about the numbers. No one in a Box will ever say, do as many as you can while maintaining proper form. Ever. I doubt those words ever have or ever will be said in relation to crossfit. Instead it's, do as many as possible in "X" seconds, no matter the quality.
Nope, wrong again. You ever think of visiting a decent CrossFit gym before you go running your yap about crap you know nothing about?

I'm certain there *are* gyms that don't stress keeping safe/proper form, but there are bad gyms in the CrossFit world just like every other type of gym.

Quote:
And yea, you'll see a lot of **** poor form from bodybuilders, but it's dumb. No one encourages cheating. But with crossfit it's the name of the game. Because crossfit is the end unto itself. It's about doing crossfit. Getting as many reps doing crossfit circuit training preparing for imaginary scenarios where luckily, you do things EXACTLY like you did in your crossfit stuff. Like a "martial artist" who knows how to divert a punch provided it's with the left arm, from a specific height and angle, and they have to be positioned exactly right too.
No, improved health and feeling better is the end. I have no idea where martial arts fit in, but it's your story - tell it however you want to.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about crossfit, aside from the cult like group think mentality and general elitist mentality some, but not most have, is the obsession with reps. Reps reps reps. You'll never see that with anything else. No other training method, no other sport puts so much emphasis on reps despite form. Crossfitters post time, and reps, not form.
Again, you have never been to a CrossFit gym, have you? Both gyms I currently attend, one in St. Louis, one here in Charlotte, absolutely stress and monitor form. How exactly would one go about posting their form instead of time, regardless?

Quote:
Oh, and the exorbitant cost. 250 bucks? Seriously? For what? A bunch of kettleballs?
Kettlebells, olympic bars, bumper plates, rowers, rings, pull-up rigs, medicine balls, plyo boxes, jump ropes, ghd benches, prowlers, weight vests, sandbags, Atlas stones. Plus actual instruction and direction, you know like personal trainers do, and all that for $150/mo for as many visits as I want.

Quote:
Oh and again, the "coaches" at these places are often no better than the "trainers" you'll see at most gyms who have no idea what they are talking about.
I'll agree with you there, I think the coaching certifications are too easy. Nothing can be done about that except to be careful when choosing a gym.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope, wrong again. You ever think of visiting a decent CrossFit gym before you go running your yap about crap you know nothing about?

I'm certain there *are* gyms that don't stress keeping safe/proper form, but there are bad gyms in the CrossFit world just like every other type of gym.

No, improved health and feeling better is the end. I have no idea where martial arts fit in, but it's your story - tell it however you want to.

Again, you have never been to a CrossFit gym, have you? Both gyms I currently attend, one in St. Louis, one here in Charlotte, absolutely stress and monitor form. How exactly would one go about posting their form instead of time, regardless?

Kettlebells, olympic bars, bumper plates, rowers, rings, pull-up rigs, medicine balls, plyo boxes, jump ropes, ghd benches, prowlers, weight vests, sandbags, Atlas stones. Plus actual instruction and direction, you know like personal trainers do, and all that for $150/mo for as many visits as I want.

I'll agree with you there, I think the coaching certifications are too easy. Nothing can be done about that except to be careful when choosing a gym.
There are over 3000 affiliates, so I'm guessing if even....5% of them don't follow the coaches strict instructions he learned over one single solitary weekend, that's still 150 gyms.

And of course you can't post form, but I'm simply saying, the concern is never for form. But reps and time.

And martial arts comes into play because according to crossfit, and from what I've seen of the crossfit games, they have things like, and here is where this exercise would be beneficial in a real world situation, and I'm like that is so incredibly specific it would never happen. Like a martial artist who can only block a punch if it delivered PRECISELY the right way.

And have I been to a crossfit gym? Nope. But unless the dozens of youtube clips I've seen, and the Crossfit games that occasionally gets played at the gym are all just tricks to make me THINK they have poor form, even the elite crossfitters, I'm pretty sure form means jack **** when it comes down to it with Crossfit.

And 150 bucks a month for a bunch of stuff that has no moving parts? For barbells? And kettlebells? Man, when has a barbell in the history of barbells, or dumbbells, or kettleballs, EVER broken, or even gotten damaged?

You could join an equinox gym likely for less than they are charging. Gyms with, pools, and saunas, and sweat lodges, and TV's all over, even on the equipment, basketball courts, raquetball, just, you name it. Things that break and need repairing. New equipment. Treadmills, stair climbers, bikes, elipticals, rowing machines (crossfit has those I know) Arc Trainers, machines with cable. For way, way, WAY less than a crossfit gym. Crossfit is the Ed Hardy of gyms.

Last edited by KnownUnknown; 12-30-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Competition Eleiko Plates/Bars... Level 3 Coach that has sent people to the Olympic trials.. 50$ a month for one-on-one monitoring of Olympic Lifting.

I'm just spoiled down here though.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

And 150 bucks a month for a bunch of stuff that has no moving parts? For barbells? And kettlebells? Man, when has a barbell in the history of barbells, or dumbbells, or kettleballs, EVER broken, or even gotten damaged?

Always. Barbells are ALWAYS damaged.. the ones that are cheap. Collars don't spin, knurling sucks, bent bars.

Eleiko Competition Bars (which I'm sure most CF gyms don't have) are 1200$+.

My place happens to have 50+ bars (some still in the boxes).

Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM

How do you break a barbell? No one in crossfit is doing any serious powerlifting. You won't see some 400lb squats or 500lb deadlifts.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Like I typed..

"Collars don't spin, knurling sucks, bent bars".

Please read.

That happens at regular gyms all the time. As much as I don't like Crossfit, those guys are squatting more weight and doing more with those barbells than the average gym goer. More people in CF do 'serious powerlifting' than average gym goers.

Also, most people don't realize the bars are bent or how ****ty they are.. when when you're squatting more than 80kg or doing cleans/snatches.. you notice a quality bar or **** bar.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
How do you break a barbell? No one in crossfit is doing any serious powerlifting. You won't see some 400lb squats or 500lb deadlifts.

Welcome to my ignore list. Your inane babbling about something you are completely ignorant of is getting tiresome.

Here's a video of one of the guys at my CrossFit gym here in Charlotte deadlifting 520 and squatting 405. This isn't even a competitive CrossFitter, just a dude. You're are crazy if you don't think there are guys this strong, and much stronger, all over the country doing CrossFit.

Carlos 520 DL - YouTube

Carlos 405 Back Squat - YouTube

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Always. Barbells are ALWAYS damaged.. the ones that are cheap. Collars don't spin, knurling sucks, bent bars.

Eleiko Competition Bars (which I'm sure most CF gyms don't have) are 1200$+.

My place happens to have 50+ bars (some still in the boxes).

Yep, most of the bars I see are either Pendlay or Rogue. I'm sure some of the bigger dollar revenue boxes might have some Eleiko stuff, but honestly it is overkill for almost all CrossFit workouts.

Yes, you are spoiled by your great gym in NM. I'm jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness