Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Again, I know dozens, possibly more than a hundred, people who do CrossFit at least 3x a week - none of them have hurt themselves in the gym. How do you explain that? The two gyms that I go to are just extremely lucky?
I know cross fit people that love it and have not been injured. I also know through one of those people that he has seen people using really bad form and not being corrected. They are just pushed to get the in all the reps. Those folks are going to injure themselves at some point.
I think it really depends on who is running the gym. Crossfit gyms are all over the place. Where I live there are two right next to each other. One has a great reputation, the other, not so much.

I see the benefits and the drawbacks. For me I would probably try it, but I already belong to a gym and I do not feel like shelling out $100 bucks a month more to do Crossfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Bottom line is, there are better ways than crossfit, but crossfit is generally easier for most people becuase they don't have to think as much as if they did a custom tailored program like what I do. Still, you will get adequate and sometimes very good results doing crossfit and for the majority that is all they are looking for.

that's one of the things that appeals to me about CF. I no longer have to do my own programming. Back when I was into pure strength and bodybuilding routines, I enjoyed putting together a program, and did so for about 8.5 years. the last year and a half of doing that, it lost its fun factor and it just got to be a chore. I now prefer to just show up, see the workout, and do it. I dont even program my Olympic lifting....I just follow CF Football.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Crossfit, powerlifting, planetfitness.. whatever gets the individual off the couch.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
that's one of the things that appeals to me about CF. I no longer have to do my own programming. Back when I was into pure strength and bodybuilding routines, I enjoyed putting together a program, and did so for about 8.5 years. the last year and a half of doing that, it lost its fun factor and it just got to be a chore. I now prefer to just show up, see the workout, and do it. I dont even program my Olympic lifting....I just follow CF Football.
I agree with you there. I've been lifting seriously for going on 9 years myself, and frankly I decided about 2 years ago that I was tired of doing the tedious work of programming for myself and just decided to follow some out-of-the-box programs. I started doing 5-3-1 and did that for over a year (making great gains), then did Sheiko (no thanks-o, never again-o), and finally settled on doing a modified 5-3-1 wave while sticking to an old MuscleMedia bench program I found online that's been working just fine. For the rest I honestly just do whatever I feel like doing (olympic work, strongman, crossfit style, odd lifts, grip work, etc.) and I know my body well enough now that it works out and I have done a good job of avoiding injury *knock on wood* and staying as strong as ever.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM

I tried Sheiko for a few months -- just didn't work out for me. I responded much better to a conjugate based training system focusing on speed. In general, I respond to speed/power production training better than raw strength; not surprising since I do only Olympic lifting now and I am for the most part, fast.

I don't program any of my Olympic movements, that's all done from my coach when we train 1730-1900 mon-fri. The only lifts I program (and the only ones I do outside lifting) are pulls and squats (front and back). Generally follow 3 week microcycles in 6 week meso cycles then 12-18 week macrocycles.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Really? Links to these reports?
Just visit the crossfit website.

Hell, just type in any type of conceivable injury you can think of in google, and the first link that will come up is crossfit forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I tried Sheiko for a few months -- just didn't work out for me. I responded much better to a conjugate based training system focusing on speed. In general, I respond to speed/power production training better than raw strength; not surprising since I do only Olympic lifting now and I am for the most part, fast.

I don't program any of my Olympic movements, that's all done from my coach when we train 1730-1900 mon-fri. The only lifts I program (and the only ones I do outside lifting) are pulls and squats (front and back). Generally follow 3 week microcycles in 6 week meso cycles then 12-18 week macrocycles.
if you like speed/power type stuff, you really oughta check out CF Football. I know you wouldnt follow their lifting schedule since you follow your coach, but they focus their "metcons" on speed and power. You rarely see a workout last longer than 20 minutes, but it usually has some type of lift with heavier weight/lower reps, coupled with sprint type stuff. They also have a lot of great sprint workouts. Here's just a few recent samples:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 ,3, 2, 1 reps of:
Bench Press @ body weight
Weighted Supine Ring Pull Up

Complete 5 rounds:
Squat Max Reps
7 Burpee Box Jumps 20"

*Amateurs squat body weight.
*Collegiate & Professional, if under a body weight of 225 lbs, squat 225 lbs. If body weight is over 225 lbs, squat body weight.
*Rest no longer than 90 seconds between rounds.

Complete 10 rounds:
Max Rep Pull Ups w/ 25 lbs
Sprint 100 yards or 50 yard prowler push w/ 135 lbs
*Your recovery is your walk or jog back to the pull up bar for sprints. If using a prowler take 60 seconds between rounds.

I know you dont like CF but i think you would probably like this better. I would do CF football's workout everyday, but I dont like being the guy at the gym always doing his own thing.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM

By speed/power I mean speed on the bar.. force=massxacceleration. I.e., squatting with a high rate of force on the bar. That type of workout would not be beneficial for me, other people yes, me.. no.

I don't do upper body anymore - plus my body respond better with bands/chains on BP and max weight (up to 270 @ 135bw)... not the CF type stuff.

It's not that CF sucks, I just know what my body responds to and what the trainign I need...and it's not cf.

Not the speed/power you're thinking of.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Just visit the crossfit website.

Hell, just type in any type of conceivable injury you can think of in google, and the first link that will come up is crossfit forums.
So, no links. Got it. Look, I get that CrossFit isn't for everyone and that's a good thing. I just hate the misinformation that gets spread.

I'll say it one more time - I've done CrossFit in 3 different states at 3 different gyms and I don't know one single person that has hurt themselves doing it. What am I, the luckiest guy in the country?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM

yes. now win me the lottewry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness