Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM

326 posts, read 703,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post

Are you mocking me?

The key to spotting a roider is based on a few things; proportion, time line and the size of thier head (s) .
hehe just realized your name is lol - anyways I think you can sum up your roider detection system as "Does he look like barry bonds..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM

326 posts, read 703,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm not sure that this is true. I just recently saw an article that cited a long term study of runners. The article said that a) running strengthens tendons and ligaments, which tends to keep joints from being so wobbly, which is a cause of long term joint problems. The study found that non-runners were 7 times more likely to get a knee replacement than runners. I will try to supply a link later.
I wonder if knee injuries attributed to runners are more likely due to overweight individuals trying to get healthy by taking up running and end up putting too much weight than the knees can support?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
The key to spotting a roider is based on a few things; proportion, time line and the size of thier head (s) .
the reality is that a steroid user can look like anything. there are definitely giveaways but many people an avoid them or mask them somehow. just because a guy is small doesnt mean he isnt juicing. it means he controls his diet and water retention. also, some people juice and dont even workout. the benefits become minimal if you just stick and dont adjust your exercise or diet. also, you said time line which is a good thing if you see someone over time. a person on juice is going to get results much faster than someone not using. i remember my cousin suddenly blew up to a giant gorilla. didnt really control his diet so he was just massive. but it was so fast and so big, it was clear he was juicing. he also did it while he was away in eastern europe where that stuff is plentiful. but you mention it to my uncle who is a very successful doctor and he swears that his son would never do that. its impressive that even a doctor would be so clueless. but if you dont see into that world, you really know very little. but if you are willing to do some research, the info is right there on the internets.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm not sure that this is true. I just recently saw an article that cited a long term study of runners. The article said that a) running strengthens tendons and ligaments, which tends to keep joints from being so wobbly, which is a cause of long term joint problems. The study found that non-runners were 7 times more likely to get a knee replacement than runners. I will try to supply a link later.
I also wonder if the people who wind up being able to run long term are the ones who can. So it's self-fulfilling.

For example, I like to run, but running and other high school athletics shredded my knees. So I will never be a lifelong runner. But someone who wasn't affected (by body mechanics or whatever) will be fine.

I think the wrist is a better example of a joint that gets really hinky with overuse.

Every orthopedist I talk to is really not a fan of running for the general population. For some people, it's great. For others, it's a recipe for a knee replacement, back pain, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but you mention it to my uncle who is a very successful doctor and he swears that his son would never do that. its impressive that even a doctor would be so clueless. but if you dont see into that world, you really know very little. but if you are willing to do some research, the info is right there on the internets.
That's not clueless. That's denial.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
who in the nfl do you think isnt juicing? they all do. a few bucks spent on steroids for millions of dollars to run with a ball. none of them say no.
So by 'juicing' ~ you do not mean blending a lot of green vegetables and fruit up in a blender, right?

Which is what I first thought.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post

* He's juicing and lifting. He's a liar. You can't get built like that doing pushups and situps.

Again, look at gymnasts. Are you going to tell me gymnasts are sneaking to the gym after hours and doing curls and bench presses? Besides, Walker isn't even built like a weight lifter/body builder. His arms, even though they're ripped, aren't really as big as you'd expect from somebody doing a typical weight routine. But he does have a really broad chest, back, and midsection -- all possible by somebody who focused solely on those exercises.
Yeah, people act so certain, like they KNOW these people are using steroids. It seems like it would not be too out of the question for someone to get that strong naturally. Especially if they are millionaires whose livelihoods depend on their physical condition, all they have to do is train all day with no other worries, can hire the best in the business to help them and provide rehabilitation and cook for them. Some people just see someone stronger than they are and scream 'steroids.'

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Hershel Walker has lifted a lot of weights in his life. He might not lift anymore but he did when he played collegiate and pro football. The muscle doesn't just disappear.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Yeah, people act so certain, like they KNOW these people are using steroids. It seems like it would not be too out of the question for someone to get that strong naturally. Especially if they are millionaires whose livelihoods depend on their physical condition, all they have to do is train all day with no other worries, can hire the best in the business to help them and provide rehabilitation and cook for them. Some people just see someone stronger than they are and scream 'steroids.'
people who are certain, are people who know more about the use of steroids. they could hire the best in the business and it wouldnt be as effective as something that would cost them the same as 1 hour of "the best in the business's" time.

the livelihood of these people is all dependent on their ability to physically produce. their ability to buy their homes, bentleys, gold chains, wife's fake boobies, support their kids and baby mamas, etc. depends on them performing in sports. none of them say no when it comes time to use the steroids and that time comes before they reach the pros; for all of them.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Here is the link to always-great Running Times article I mentioned:
Long May You Run | Running Times Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by running times
James Fries, M.D., co-author of a 2008 study from Stanford that tracked 528 runners and 423 non-runners beginning in 1984, counts the ways: "Running improves your blood pressure. You're less likely to get blood clots and varicose veins. Bones become stronger and denser. It's a treatment for osteoporosis. It prevents fractures of the hips and spine. The ligaments get bigger and stronger--they protect the joints from wobbling, which is one thing that causes joints to wear out....
The Stanford study confirmed what lifelong runners have always suspected:

[SIZE=2]- Runners suffer fewer disabilities. Running delays age-related disabilities by almost two decades.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Runners are seven times less likely to require knee replacement.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Running doesn't lead to increased hip, back or knee problems.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Runners suffer less cancer and neurological problems.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Runners are half as likely as non-runners to die early.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]This comports with my experience. I'm 55 and have been running since my early twenties, although mostly not competitively. I don't have any knee or joint problems at all. When I was only about 16 I had pretty bad knee problems from playing basketball on outdoor concrete courts. That taught me to stay away from pavement and I've always tried to run on grass/dirt as much as possible.[/SIZE]

I do wonder about the people who try to run sub 2:20 marathons and such. It seems like people who are very high level in their 20's and 30's tend to burn out and rarely do well as 50-something & older competitors.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]It's like something is taken out of them by pushing it to the max when they are young.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness