Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,628 times

Advertisements

Do 30 minutes of belly dance instead of the treadmill. Work towards belly rolls, and do ribcage and pelvis isolations. That'll do it! Unless you already belly dance, pretty much. There's not much like it if you get to where you can control the different parts of the ab muscles independently.

We've all seen fat belly dancers, but that's from eating and their weight. At your weight, you'll see the rewards, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac00 View Post
Well my waist was 27" before the babies/c=section. I don't expect it to go back to 27" I would just like it to go a couple of inches.

Also I understand about the treadmill not showing accurate calories burnt but I think I get enough of cardio by doing 30 minutes on it. Should I increase the intesnisty? I was hoping somebody could give me some guidance with my workout routine. ie do more cardio (treadmill) or do more ab workouts?
Increase the intensity. Try intervals.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac00 View Post
Well my waist was 27" before the babies/c=section. I don't expect it to go back to 27" I would just like it to go a couple of inches.

Also I understand about the treadmill not showing accurate calories burnt but I think I get enough of cardio by doing 30 minutes on it. Should I increase the intesnisty? I was hoping somebody could give me some guidance with my workout routine. ie do more cardio (treadmill) or do more ab workouts?

You have to balance diet and exercise. You can't just workout while turning a blind eye to what you eat and expect results. Especially when you are a light weight.

A smaller waist will come from being lean AND in shape.

One of those general rules of thumb though if you are looking for fatloss/waist shrinkage: cardio time be 60 minutes/5-6 days a week.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
IF you want to do more then lose weight, cut the cardio out and lift.
Full body workout 3 times a week with LISS cardio after the work out and non lifting days with a good clean diet is the best way to lose the fat.

Cardio only burns fat sure, mostly through insulin. It only attacks the fat cells after you burned through the sugar. If you do only cardio make sure it is low intensity or HIIT. But for optimal fat loss you have to lift weights, anything else is outdated and incorrect.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
I recently lost a few inches (3") off my waist fairly easily in the last few weeks.

Eat less, move more...however, I will say it's really not that simple because people interpret "less" and "more" in their own way.

I ate MUCH, MUCH less and while my diet was clean...I've completely cut out the processed foods (which means bye bye triscuits...which I LOVE). I moved a heck of a lot more as well. I was running 2-3 miles a day and I've increased that to 6-7 miles...half in the morning and half after dinner.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
IF you want to do more then lose weight, cut the cardio out and lift.
Full body workout 3 times a week with LISS cardio after the work out and non lifting days with a good clean diet is the best way to lose the fat.

Cardio only burns fat sure, mostly through insulin. It only attacks the fat cells after you burned through the sugar. If you do only cardio make sure it is low intensity or HIIT. But for optimal fat loss you have to lift weights, anything else is outdated and incorrect.

You won't lose if you don't balance your food intake with your new activity level. Lifting burns very few calories. You can still overeat on a "clean diet" very easily at low weights.

Cardio attacks the fat cells after you burned through sugar is correct but if you are dieting properly there should be no storage to cut through. You should already be eating 200-1000 calories less per day, while trying to stay at BMR level calories at least 3 days out of the week if your goal is to lose fat.

I agree HIIT is highly effective. If someone isn't in shape enough or it just doesn't agree with them, (some people hate the switching and find it stressful/annoying) old school cardio will work to reduce the amount of body fat and weight. You can't drop it all together as it is something you need to do as a minimum to be healthy.

It just sounds from what the OP said that they are just highly active and their dietary balance is off.
If you eat higher carb you have to be more active or it may tend to create a high body fat percentage in some. You are what you eat.

Until they improve their diet, lifting could be less than what it should be because the body won't have the proper nutritional support to avoid injury and grow healthy new muscle tissue.

I personally don't think you need to lift weights to lose fat. Its more about the diet. BUT if you are already a light weight and still soft, one could probably do with some strength training. If for nothing else the health aspects of staying strong with age and keeping healthy bones. You need that resistance or weight training to keep your body healthy. If you are high fat at a low weight that is a sign of a history of not enough activity and poor dietary support for your body. Sugar/sweet tooth habits will really do that to you.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
You do not need to lift weights to lose fat, but you to do so efficiently means to lift weights. Lifting weights replaces fat with lean muscle. Also your body is in repair mode all day and while you sleep, which in turn is still using energy. With cardio, your body recovers over a period of several hours.

I may have been to strong worded early, cardio is useful to fat loss but not as efficient. Myself, I perform 20 min LISS cardio after lifting and perform HIIT on non lifting days (Tue and Thur).

However, what ever works for the OP is what they should go with. Cause as you, I and most people realize if it is not something you are into, burnout will come quick.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You do not need to lift weights to lose fat, but you to do so efficiently means to lift weights. Lifting weights replaces fat with lean muscle. Also your body is in repair mode all day and while you sleep, which in turn is still using energy. With cardio, your body recovers over a period of several hours.

I may have been to strong worded early, cardio is useful to fat loss but not as efficient. Myself, I perform 20 min LISS cardio after lifting and perform HIIT on non lifting days (Tue and Thur).

However, what ever works for the OP is what they should go with. Cause as you, I and most people realize if it is not something you are into, burnout will come quick.

I know what you are saying. I just wonder if the OP has the diet to support that growth. Also wanted to help them avoid that: "I started lifting and eat the same and gained a bunch of weight from cutting cardio" issue. Strength building raises my natural hunger response. Do you notice that in yourself?

Does Exercise Make You Eat Less or More?
^^^ for me it didn't matter what cardio type.

HIIT is intense. LOL Thats for sure. I did it too during a phase. Totally got burnt out on it. But I didn't gain weight back when going to old school ways because my diet was ok. I do think its worth a try just for fun at least.

I do like the old school combo of low intensity cardio, bit of strength training and dietary balance for staying lean. It seems the easiest to maintain for me. At worst I will drop the strength training for awhile and lose 10 lbs I didn't mean to or lose some definition. I tend to go back to it if I think I look too soft.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:19 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
65% carbs, 10-35% fat and remainder protein. Low sugar. A lot of veggies!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM

14 posts, read 20,595 times
Of course different things work for different people, people have different body shapes, metabolism rates etc. It's good to just kind of try different things to see which works best for you and your specific needs. Though it can take up to 8 weeks or more to visually see results from a new workout plan so give it time before to work. I try to mix it up (my favorite though is running) when I run I do HIIT, which is really effective in burning fat. But strength training is also really good, it burns fat as well and builds muscle and gives better definition. I also do a lot of workout dvds which mix cardio and strength training and then I always try to incorporate yoga into my weekly routine for a good stretch and to stay lean. Really it all depends on what works for you.
As for the diet, like what others were saying sticking with a clean diet is important (processed foods are the worst) I think green tea and yogurt are really good for losing belly weight too, they're also just good in general lol.
However, it might be more difficult after having gone through 2 pregnancies but still not impossible. Just experiment with different routines and find the one that works and eventually you'll get results. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness