Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myladeybugg View Post
Haha. Very nice! What kind of lifts do you do?
I just noticed your question.

This was my schedule last week (reps, muscle groups, lifts, etc vary weekly)

Monday 7.09.12

Diagonal squat press 2x5
D/b bench press 15,12,10,10,15
Alt incline bench 15,12,10,10
Flat fly press 15,12,10
Cable crossover 3x15
Overhead tricep extension 3x15
D/b kickbacks 3x15

Tuesday 7.10.12

Squat press 2x10
Renegade rows 4x15
Lat pull down (close grip) 15,12,10,10
1-arm d/b row 15,12,10,10,15
Hammer curls 15,12,10
Band curls 3x40 secs

Thursday 7.12.12

lunge twists 2x5 ea leg
d/b squats 5x20
lunges 4x20
single leg stiff dead 3x15 ea leg
leg sled 3x15
calf raises 3x15

Friday 7.13.12

Squat press 2x10
Military press 4x20
D/b front raise 4x20
Bent lat raise 4x20
S/s D/b upright row 3x20
S/s cable pushdowns 3x20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Jennifer Thompson holds the world record for the 132lb weight class at 300lbs.
She made that look easy! ....makes my back & shoulders hurt just watching her. I have a long way to go to build up the strength needed to even consider powerlifting.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
squat.

end thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,058 times
I used to lift weights when I was younger. I really prided myself on how much I could lift. I was afraid to stop because I felt like I would lose my power.

After an accumulation of minor injuries, I decided to take some time off. When I returned to lifting, I decided to do calisthenics instead of weightlifting.

I've learned a multitude of excercises, whereby, I can work every part of my body. I do pushups, handstand pushups, squats, pullups, grip work, neck work, calf work, bridges, and leg raises. I do tension flexibility.

Honestly, I feel more fluid and athletic than I did when I was lifting weights. It is certainly possible I lost peak weightlifting strength, and I wouldn't doubt it, but I have the ability to control my body in ways I could not before.

I will say, you can still get injured, don't underestimate it, but I personally feel, based on my current results, that it's better for longevity. I think the tension flexibility excercises play a signficant role in this though, especially in regards to nourishing and protecting my joints.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 PM

Calf work: Squats
Pushups: Presses
Pullups: Good
Handstand Pushups: Useless and injury laden. Overhead presses.
Grip work: Deadlifts/pulls
Neck work: Pulls

Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Calf work: Squats
Pushups: Presses
Pullups: Good
Handstand Pushups: Useless and injury laden. Overhead presses.
Grip work: Deadlifts/pulls
Neck work: Pulls

How did you come to this conclusion? If anything, a bilateral overhead press is more strenuous on your rotator cuff due to the forced, locked in positon. Same with a bilateral bench press, which is notorius for causing rotator cuff injuries.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,989 times
Quote:
Just curious how many powerlifters, weightlifters, bodybuilders, olympic lifters, and strongmen there are on here. Doesn't seem like we hear too much from lifters on here.
I don't compete in any of the above. I just lift for the same reasons most people do, to look good and be strong and healthy.

I would say I use a combination of bodybuilding and power lifting with a small amount of weight lifting at times. I usually periodize a higher volume 8-12 routine with a 5x5 strength routine.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
How did you come to this conclusion? If anything, a bilateral overhead press is more strenuous on your rotator cuff due to the forced, locked in positon. Same with a bilateral bench press, which is notorius for causing rotator cuff injuries.
Oh, I didn't realize you were an exercise physiologist. The fact that you're saying "bilateral" tells me you do too much reading, not enough lifting.

I guess you better tell this Olympic Champion he's doing it all wrong.

p.s., it's the locked in position (squeezing your scap together)that prevents injury.

KLOKOV Dmitry RUS - YouTube

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Oh, I didn't realize you were an exercise physiologist. The fact that you're saying "bilateral" tells me you do too much reading, not enough lifting.

I guess you better tell this Olympic Champion he's doing it all wrong.

p.s., it's the locked in position (squeezing your scap together)that prevents injury.

KLOKOV Dmitry RUS - YouTube
You're right, I don't do any weightlifting anymore; however, I lifted weights for over 10 years and my program focused around deadlifts, squats, and benchpress. In those three lifts, I've lifted over 1000 lbs combined, despite not being a huge guy.

After I stopped lifting weights, I feel like my body is more fluid and my injuries have all but dissipated, although, bodyweight training can still get you injured if you're not careful.

That's great that the Olympic Champion who is likely not all natural is lifting a ridiculous amount of weight, which is undoubtably hard on his joints, but come back to me in 20 years and see what that guy is like.

Why you think you have all these older guys in the gym that are always complaining about their joints and walk around like they're as stiff as a board?

You're problem is you're young and you think you're invulnerable because you probably haven't had a serious injury or even enough minor ones where it seriously affected your performance. Hopefully, you never experience an injury.

But if you lift a ridiculous amount of weight consistantly, for years and years, it's highly likely your body will experience some sort of negative repercussion.

Any long time gym goer that's been doing flat bench or barbell overhead press is guarenteed to have some form of shoulder problems.

I mean, if you're goal is to be an olympic weighlifter, then do what you got to do. But if your goal is longevity...I don't think anything beats bodyweight training. Because in the end all you got is you.

You got to understand that when you see these athletes, ultimately, it's all about winning. They don't care about the long term affects of your body as long as you continue to win. If they got to pump you full of drugs with side effects that will screw over tomorrow, as long as you win today, everything's all good.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Weightlifting actually has the least amount of injuries in any sport.

More to follow.

Also, cry and whine 'steroids' about someone you don't even know, is seriously disrespectful. It also shows that, you need to come up with the first excuse to downgrade what someone accomplishes.

There is a video of a 70 year old weight lifter demonstrating a snatch, someone that 95% of the population can't do, due to lack of mobility and flexibility. If those are the long term affects of weightlifting, then i'll continue on doing it. Lifting weights smart and being strong prevents injury. Keeping flexible and having a ****load of mobility (required for olympic lifting) also prevents injury. Those 50-60-70% or whatever of Americans that don't, will rot away in their couch watching accomplishments of people like me on television.

While you continue down the path of mediocrity, I'll stay on the path of expanding the human condition for everything its worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness