Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
The fact that you're saying "bilateral" tells me you do too much reading, not enough lifting.
Geezzz...some of us frequently say "bilateral" due to our professional training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I will say, you can still get injured, don't underestimate it, but I personally feel, based on my current results, that it's better for longevity. I think the tension flexibility excercises play a signficant role in this though, especially in regards to nourishing and protecting my joints.
What exactly are the tension flexibility exercises you are referring to?

Quote:
a bilateral overhead press is more strenuous on your rotator cuff due to the forced, locked in positon. Same with a bilateral bench press, which is notorius for causing rotator cuff injuries. Any long time gym goer that's been doing flat bench or barbell overhead press is guarenteed to have some form of shoulder problems.
I have rotator cuff/shoulder issues and also s/p 2 low back surgeries and used reformer Pilates and physical therapy to rehab myself back to the point that I could increase the intensity of my workouts & add weight lifting back into the routine again. Since I started lifting in Nov, I've had great difficulty with above shoulder or overhead presses of any type. Then I had an AC injury as a result of doing too much too soon, and I had to stop all pushing down type exercises (i.e. bench dips) for a couple of weeks. I finally built enough strength to do these exercises again, and more.

Quote:
But if your goal is longevity...I don't think anything beats bodyweight training.
Yes, for me longevity is key. I'm not interested in being the strongest woman, or competing. I think I have an idea, but please explain what you mean by bodyweight training.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
What exactly are the tension flexibility exercises you are referring to?

I have rotator cuff/shoulder issues and also s/p 2 low back surgeries and used reformer Pilates and physical therapy to rehab myself back to the point that I could increase the intensity of my workouts & add weight lifting back into the routine again. Since I started lifting in Nov, I've had great difficulty with above shoulder or overhead presses of any type. Then I had an AC injury as a result of doing too much too soon, and I had to stop all pushing down type exercises (i.e. bench dips) for a couple of weeks. I finally built enough strength to do these exercises again, and more.

Yes, for me longevity is key. I'm not interested in being the strongest woman, or competing. I think I have an idea, but please explain what you mean by bodyweight training.
I sent you a PM, but what I didn't tell you about how effective bridging is for the back. If you still continue to lift weights, I would highly suggest that you consider bridging. It will do wonders for your back.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Weightlifting actually has the least amount of injuries in any sport.

More to follow.

Also, cry and whine 'steroids' about someone you don't even know, is seriously disrespectful. It also shows that, you need to come up with the first excuse to downgrade what someone accomplishes.

There is a video of a 70 year old weight lifter demonstrating a snatch, someone that 95% of the population can't do, due to lack of mobility and flexibility. If those are the long term affects of weightlifting, then i'll continue on doing it. Lifting weights smart and being strong prevents injury. Keeping flexible and having a ****load of mobility (required for olympic lifting) also prevents injury. Those 50-60-70% or whatever of Americans that don't, will rot away in their couch watching accomplishments of people like me on television.

While you continue down the path of mediocrity, I'll stay on the path of expanding the human condition for everything its worth.
You should work on being more humble.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Doing a a shoulder press behind the neck, or doing a lat pull down behind the neck, is probably one of the easiest exercises to injure yourself on. I personally feel it puts too much and unnecessary stress on certain shoulder joints. Doing them to the front is a more natural movement and the rick of injury is a lot lower.

I think it's safe to assume that the person in that video knows what they are doing and has built up their strength over time. Too often I see people in the gym lifting weight that is too heavy for them with terrible form. An exercise like the shoulder press from the behind the neck without proper form can easily cause injury.

People also do not warm up properly enough I find. I see people come into the gym, change and go right into their first lift. Not enough people do some light cardio, or some dynamic and very light static stretches and warmup sets.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I sent you a PM, but what I didn't tell you about how effective bridging is for the back. If you still continue to lift weights, I would highly suggest that you consider bridging. It will do wonders for your back.
Thank you. I got it and will review more thoroughly this evening.
I agree with bridging and already include it in my routine.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Quote:
You should work on being more humble.
Nope. It's just the lazy, safe and secure American lifestyle you're used to. I only talk big game to those that give out wrong information to others..

Last edited by td333; 07-18-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Nope. It's just the lazy, safe and secure American lifestyle you're used to. I only talk big game to those that give out wrong information to others..
No, you really do need to be humble. For one, you don't even know who you're talking to. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.

Not everyone has to agree with your training methods. Weightlifting in my opinion, isn't much of a sport. It doesn't require much athleticism. It's just lifting a heavy object. Any fool can do that.

But can you do the things that gymnasts can do? They can do what you do, but you can't do what they do.

I mean, okay, you can lift some weights. Alright...here's some news for you...nobody gives a !@$%.

I enjoy bodyweight training. For what I do, it made me sustain my power for longer. I bet Manny Pacquaio and Floyd, and the majority of high level boxers don't really mess with weights. Before Tyson fell off, he didn't lift weights either.

You better hope you don't get put in a situation where you can't access your weights because with your attitude, you'll be lost.

I can work out anywhere in the world. As long as I got food, I'm straight. I got the type of freedom you can only dream about. I've been in your situation before, so I can relate. I always had to have a gym around me.

Now, the world is my gym. And honestly, I like the results better. I'm just letting people know from my own personal experience that they don't need weights. They can do just fine with what God gave them.

And I'll be honest, I feel more lithe and limber than I ever did when I was lifting weights.

Not everybody has to agree with your philosophy especially when you espouse a great deal of arrogance and close mindedness.

You need to relax.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I only talk big game to those that give out wrong information to others..
Just wondering.....What are your credentials that make you such a self proclaimed expert? Why should anyone trust your advice over another's?

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-18-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Quote:
No, you really do need to be humble. For one, you don't even know who you're talking to. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.
Same goes to you.

Quote:
Not everyone has to agree with your training methods. Weightlifting in my opinion, isn't much of a sport. It doesn't require much athleticism. It's just lifting a heavy object. Any fool can do that.
That's funny because weight lifting is an Olympic sport.

Quote:
But can you do the things that gymnasts can do? They can do what you do, but you can't do what they do.
That's not true. Gymnasts can't do what I can do unless they train for it. They have a strength base to do it, but not the technical capability/motor patterns to. Likewise for myself, I have the strength base, flexibilty and mobility required, but not the technical capability/motor patterns because I do not train as a gymnast.
Quote:
I mean, okay, you can lift some weights. Alright...here's some news for you...nobody gives a !@$%.
Ok, well no one cares about your body weight training.

Quote:
I enjoy bodyweight training. For what I do, it made me sustain my power for longer. I bet Manny Pacquaio and Floyd, and the majority of high level boxers don't really mess with weights. Before Tyson fell off, he didn't lift weights either.
First, by power you people mean strength. Power is more 'speed strength', generally measured by the amount of time it takes to move an object a certain distance.

And if you didn't know, powerlifting and weightlifting are both measured on the wilks coeffecient.. otherwise how much weight moved per bodyweight. Sounds similar to the concept of body weight training.

Are you a boxer? "I bet" is an assumption. But then, you say that Tyson didn't lift weights. There is an article somewhere (I read it recently) describing the training regime of a famous boxer, which included strength training. I'll have to find it. Elite, competitive and professional boxers can't and don't build a strength base solely using pushups and situps. Power won't follow, either. Maybe some can, but it's not effective. By that manner, I guess you'll tell me that competitive sprinters just run and do body weight exercises.

Anyways, check out this article: RossTraining.com - Strength Training For Fighters

Ross Enamait is one of the most popular proponents of body weight exercise (see book, never gymless.. oh hey I have that [see below]). However, he understands the value of strength and conditioning. Something much different than bodybuilding. A few excerpts..

"When you understand how the body functions, you will quickly realize that a strength program designed to enhance the efficiency of the fast twitch muscle fibers will not harm speed potential. On the contrary, the right program can assist with speed production."

"Another common myth related to strength training deals with flexibility and range of motion. Many trainers believe that free weights will compromise flexibility. This is completely untrue.

A proper strength program will enhance range of motion. To those who disagree, I ask you to perform this simple experiment. Perform an overhead squat and you will see just how much flexibility can be developed with proper exercise selection. "

and finally...

"The lesson to be learned is simple. Don't become hung up on the tool (free weights) or lack of a tool (bodyweight). Target specific objectives and choose the most appropriate and readily available methods. For example, one may use plyometric pushups to develop explosive strength in the upper body. Another athlete may use free weights via the dynamic effort (ie. lifting a nonmaximal load with the highest attainable speed). Each movement will enhance the explosive strength of the athlete. Don't waste time arguing over which method is right and which is wrong. Incorporate variety into your plan. "

Quote:
You better hope you don't get put in a situation where you can't access your weights because with your attitude, you'll be lost.
Ok, I guess I was lost when I was deployed to a forward operating base in Afghanistan with no weights. Also, see above (rosstraining.com).

Quote:
I can work out anywhere in the world. As long as I got food, I'm straight. I got the type of freedom you can only dream about. I've been in your situation before, so I can relate. I always had to have a gym around me.
I haven't "Always had a gym around me". There are weeks I work 80+ hours. When deployed, I will go gymless for months at a time. [/quote]

Quote:

Now, the world is my gym. And honestly, I like the results better. I'm just letting people know from my own personal experience that they don't need weights. They can do just fine with what God gave them.
You're also letting people know that certain exercises will injure them, which isn't true. You're pushing your experiences, not sharing them.

Quote:
And I'll be honest, I feel more lithe and limber than I ever did when I was lifting weights.
I'm much more limber from Olympic Weightlifting than when I wasn't. I'm naturally flexible and strength 30 minutes to 1 hour a day. I foam roll 2x a day and take ice baths. I constantly stretch throughout the day. I'm not limber from body weight exercises. I'm much more flexible than regulars in a yoga classroom and I powerlift and weightlift (not body building, olympic weightlifting for those confused).

Quote:
Not everybody has to agree with your philosophy especially when you espouse a great deal of arrogance and close mindedness.
I'm not closed minded. If that's the case, so are you. You tell people how weight lifting can inury you. Weight lifting won't make you flexible. You say how certain exercises cause shoulder issues when you a.) can't prove it and b.) just say it because it happened to you. Have you ever thought that, perhaps you were doing it wrong?

Furthermore, you don't even know what Olympic Weightlifting is or the type of athleticism that it requires. You say I don't know about you, yet you try and make assumptions based on the things I haven't even said. I make comments based on comments you say. Not assumptions.

I take part in body weight training, stretching/mobility, powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting. I believe in all facets of health and fitness. Diet, flexiblity, mobility, etc. Oh and guess what, I can also run half marathons at a time faster than the average US male. My 1 mile time is 5 minutes 30 seconds. I can run the 40 in 4.45. I've ruck marched in triple digit heat for more than ten miles. I can do "Pigeon Pose" in Yoga. I've had several people either gain hundreds of pounds on their SQ/BP/DL total or lose pounds and cut near double digit body fat %. I pursuing my CSCS certification (as if that means anything.. it's just a piece of paper). I also hold state records and am ranked in the top 100 for powerlifting.

Last edited by td333; 07-19-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness