Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Hey all, just looking for a little advice. First a little background.

3 months ago I was trying on a shirt at a department store and was disgusted by what I saw. Stepped on a scale and it turned out I was the heaviest I'd ever been. (Not a "fat guy" per se, but 5'11" and the scale read 207 and I looked like a stick with a massively protruding gut).

Okay, so I started jogging 2 1/2 months ago... Going well, but not getting results so I began altering my diet. I call it a "modified slimfast diet" where I basically eat light for breakfast and lunch (eating mainly fruits, salads and maybe some pistachios, etc...) and then have whatever I want for dinner.

Seems to be working. I'm down to 192 lbs as of this morning... I'm jogging every day and progressing with my cardio (can feel a HUGE difference).

My question is that mentally I seem to be adjusting almost TOO well to my new diet... Last night when it came time to have my "big dinner" I didn't feel all that hungry... I had a big bowl of granola cereal and called it a night....

Is this my body just getting used to my new level of caloric intake (lucky me)? Or is this something dangerous that I really need to be careful with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Congrats on your improvements!

I don't find anything alarming about your diet, other than it doesn't sound like you are getting enough protein. You may also find that when you are running if you aren't giving your body sufficient calories you will notice in your performance. Just keep going and you will get to your goal eventually.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

3 months ago I was trying on a shirt at a department store and was disgusted by what I saw. Stepped on a scale and it turned out I was the heaviest I'd ever been. (Not a "fat guy" per se, but 5'11" and the scale read 207 and I looked like a stick with a massively protruding gut).

Okay, so I started jogging 2 1/2 months ago... Going well, but not getting results so I began altering my diet. I call it a "modified slimfast diet" where I basically eat light for breakfast and lunch (eating mainly fruits, salads and maybe some pistachios, etc...) and then have whatever I want for dinner.

Seems to be working. I'm down to 192 lbs as of this morning... I'm jogging every day and progressing with my cardio (can feel a HUGE difference).

My question is that mentally I seem to be adjusting almost TOO well to my new diet... Last night when it came time to have my "big dinner" I didn't feel all that hungry... I had a big bowl of granola cereal and called it a night....

Is this my body just getting used to my new level of caloric intake (lucky me)? Or is this something dangerous that I really need to be careful with?
Your body seems to be adapting well. Don't be alarmed, though at not being hungry every night for dinner. Some nights all I want is a bowl of cereal and some fruit for dinner, especially when it's this hot and humid as it's been in the Mid-Atlantic region the past few days.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Dangerous, no.

So with that out of the way, I suggest you switch it up a little.

Eat a large, protein heavy and carb light breakfast then cut the carbs for the rest of the day except for some fruits (that means no grains like bread and oatmeal). You need to increase your protein as well. Do not eat a few hours before sleeping and to cure hunger pains before bed, eat a spoon full of cottage cheese with a little olive oil.

Switch to a mix cardio four times a week, and throw some resistance training in three times a week.

The 207 to 192 will be a lot of water weight at this point.

Also check your poster for anterior pelvic tilt as this will also cause a "belly out" look, which will make a flat belly stick out, and make any belly fat look worst than it is.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

I think its great you figured out how to get active and stop overeating!
Now its onto round two of learning to eat right to get all you need in.
Start tracking here:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

If you run too low on protein or whatever it will make suggestions when you run the daily nutritional report. (for example it will suggest protein rich options to try out to amp your intake)

OR

You can just go by the pre-made menu. Everyone in the house can eat it. Its not "diet food" its just not crap junk food. You can switch stuff out in the premade menu. Say it suggested fish but you hate it, you can switch in chicken or whatever you like from a pop up list that will give you a similar amount of nutrition.

What is probably happening is:
- You lost almost 20 pounds now so your calories needs are changing. A lower weight requires less calories to thrive and burns less calories during a workout

- When you hit a fatburning zone it can release ketones into your system that naturally turn down or off the appetite.

You will be able to figure out if you need to reduce food more, or even be able to eat more with that spark program. At the end you will know how to eat properly for your new size and activity level.

Plus the site is LOADED with info and recipes. They also have a phone app for tracking on the go or looking up calories on the go.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Cool... Thank you all for responding... I'm pretty excited actually, as I didn't think I could ever really be "this guy" that is overly concerned about fitness...

Again, seeing myself in the mirror trying on that shirt, coupled with a newly prescribed CPAP machine for sleeping and viewing documentaries about how truly bad processed food is seemed to be the triple-whammy that really shocked me into some behavioral changes...

I don't want to be the guy with the disproportioned gut who can't run a lap or climb stairs and have to live my life sleeping with a CPAP on my face while taking statins to control my cholesterol.... Screw that!!! LOL!!! The target weight for my height is around 180-185. I'm going to get there and then shape my body the way I want it... 40 years old and I've never tried to look the best I can... So here goes..

Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm going to cry....

I have been on such a roll. Dropped twenty pounds and running every day without pain.

Then....

I mix in some sit ups and push ups and must have strained my hip flexor somehow (based on the location of the pain and the research I did) and simply cannot run (walking is even a little bit painful). Been out of commission for about 4 days now and still hurts pretty bad.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
[Mod cut: orphaned]

OP, congrats on your weight loss, and I concur with the others - be sure you're getting more protein. I myself had a wakeup call similar to yours the month I turned 40 and went in for my yearly checkup and was the heaviest I had ever been. I determined that life is too short to live it as a pudge, and I started improving my diet, lifestyle and health.

I've had some slip ups but the bottom line is, I'm fifty and I look and feel better than I did when I was forty! Just keep in mind that you're looking at lifestyle CHANGES, not a routine just to lose a few pounds quickly.

Last edited by elnina; 08-12-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
So anyways... i take the occums razor answer in that this is not an issue, because you have drastically altered your diet and exercise regimen.

I suggest you setup a physical with your doctor to close this out immediately, and continue with your new lifestyle without any doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness