Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times

Advertisements

Upon perusing Youtube, I came across the videos of Ernestine Shepherd, who is a woman in her mid 70's that lifts weights and wanted to ask the question if those on CD think that exercise is truly the key to looking great at all ages. I say yes. Most people I know seem to aging because they don't exercise and avoid drugs, excessive alcohol and cigarettes. I think there would be alot more Ernestine Shepherd's around if America got off it's butt and started exercising. Dara Torres, who just barely failed to make her 6th Olympics in swimming at the age of 45 is another great example.

Meet World's oldest female bodybuilder :75-year-old Ernestine Shepherd - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
It definitely helps. Check out this 70-year old vegan

Here is the article: Annette Larkins vegan diet: Woman, 70, defies ageing process with vegetables and rainwater | Mail Online

I think eating well, and staying active is the key, but active doesn't need to be formal exercise.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
If you want to look young you also need to stay out of the sun along with a healthy lifestyle. The sun is the NUMBER #1 ager.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,772 times
Also a good attitude. If you are full of hate for life and bitterness and craziness that will do you in and wear on your appearance.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windside View Post
Also a good attitude. If you are full of hate for life and bitterness and craziness that will do you in and wear on your appearance.
I agree. I also feel excercise is a key ingredient, along with a relatively "clean" diet. However, livng clean means many things to many people. I simply balance everything and don't go to extremes on either. A lot of what contributes to appearance is genetic also.

I feel the overall important factor though is simply to stop and smell the flowers, laugh and enjoy life. Sadly, too many people don't do this.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Upon perusing Youtube, I came across the videos of Ernestine Shepherd, who is a woman in her mid 70's that lifts weights and wanted to ask the question if those on CD think that exercise is truly the key to looking great at all ages. I say yes. Most people I know seem to aging because they don't exercise and avoid drugs, excessive alcohol and cigarettes. I think there would be alot more Ernestine Shepherd's around if America got off it's butt and started exercising. Dara Torres, who just barely failed to make her 6th Olympics in swimming at the age of 45 is another great example.

Meet World's oldest female bodybuilder :75-year-old Ernestine Shepherd - YouTube

This woman is my inspiration.

Yes, clean living and exercise is the key, I think. People who love themeselves enough to take care of themselves also have a more positive attitude, IMO.

I looked OLDER at 26 than I do now (35). I ate crappy food, didn't exercise, and was miserable and depressed. I lost the weight, cleaned up my life and look better than ever.

Also, people who are fit also tend to keep up with their medical health (yearly physicals, etc.).

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
If you're talking about from the neck up, then genetics play the major role as does sun exposure. Lifestyle (smoking, drinking, and lack of sleep) can result in a prematurely aged face after a great deal of abuse, but avoiding them won't make you look younger. Exercise and diet have little if any effect on the face, other than perhaps a clearer complexion and brighter eyes.

From the neck down, though, eating clean and working out are key to maintaining a strong, toned, lithe body and limbs - which in most people's minds = younger looking.
It takes cardio, strength, and flexibility training, that work out all the muscle groups. You can't cut corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness