Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,613,020 times

Advertisements

Another reason I like to train when the gym is not crowded is that I am one of those guys who gets distracted easily and too much movement or conversation around around me kills my focus and it is frustrating. Sometimes there are guys discussing the football game or the basketball game they watched night before and it irritates the hell out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Why do you say you can't believe this is even a question?
Because I believe the most common would be pretty obvious. However, I did read your message below in regards to why some people would prefer a crowded gym, so now I better understand why you posted the question. Can't say I agree with the reasons for wanting a crowded gym though. But to each his own, I guess.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,415,437 times
That's like asking window seat or middle seat. Who wants the middle? Who wants a crowded gym? In both cases it is some weirdo who looks for weird opportunities to socialize.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM

104 posts, read 174,474 times
I guess all the above posters prefer to be the only person in the zumba class?

Anyways, if I can find parking and I don't have to wait for my treadmill or I'm not allowed to join a class, then I'll take a pretty crowded gym. When I am taking a class, I do want a minimum number of participants alongside me.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

461 posts, read 919,114 times
I like it when the gym is less crowded. It means more machines will be open and when I'm at the gym, I really am not social. I prefer to get my stuff done and really don't pay any attention to anyone else (ok sometimes I'll check out the ladies).

Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,352,612 times
The olympic weightlifting club I train at is small in size (maybe 1000 sq feet?)..10-12 platforms, no more than that amount of lifters in the warehouse at any given time. Good atmopshere... if there were one or two lifters for that size... I would not be motivated. No one talks to each other much more than training and to the coach for form and technique. It's not a social atmopshere, it's a lifting atmopshere.

If I'm lifting in a commercial gym, I like it uncrowded, but not empty. I can lift in any condition, but I prefer it to be somewhat busy.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,634,793 times
I like a gym that is at about 30% capacity. That is just enough to get some human energy going, but not so much I have to wait to use any equipment. I don't like an empty gym at all. Yes an empty one is better than a crowded one, but being shot in the head is a better choice than starving to death. I don't actually want either option. I like an off-hours time at the gym that attracts people there to do serious work. Again, it's all about the energy. There is no other time in my life in which I can enjoy being in a group setting. All others are torture to me. I don't even talk to anyone, just like feeling a bunch of people doing something positive for themselves.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,975,027 times
I like crowded gyms. Emtpy feels like I'm lifting in a hospital.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,020,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I prefer an uncrowded gym because I don't like waiting for equipment.
^^^ This. I purposely go to the gym at 5am, just to avoid the meat-market crowds and machine wait lines in the PM crowd. And forget about going in the PM during "resolution" month (aka January).

Also, going in the AM sets my day off right, and I'm sure to not miss a workout at that hour because work ran late, I want to go to dinner with a friend, take the dogs to the park, etc.

I also like a less crowded gym because typically those are the hours the more serious athletes go, so I feel I have something in common with the people that are there, vs. the ones that just joined to use the gym as a dating scene.

Men hitting on you really slows down your workouts, too, and some are so aggressive that they repeatedly hang around your machines, follow you to your car, etc. Ick.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,291,143 times
Non-crowded for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness