Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 AM

81 posts, read 454,057 times

Advertisements

I love it ! Once I get through the first 10 minutes the rest flows naturally. When I first started a some years ago, I could barely do 5 minutes, but I continued and every week, I increased by a minute. I too had plantar fasciitis and heel spurs but my Dr. Scholl's orthotics took care of that; along with my NB sneakers. A good sports bra is also a plus. Now, I feel terrible if a day goes by and I don't get to jog/run. I only jog outdoors; up hill, down hill and along side the ocean. What a feeling ! Sometimes, I disappear into my own world when jogging. Can't leave out the compliments and admiration I get from others. When the time comes and I can no longer jog, I am not sure what will become of me. It certainly can become addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
I don't mind the physical aspect of jogging/running but on a treadmill its just so boring, even with a TV in front of me. I usually run for 45 minutes or so and time seems to go slow.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I don't mind the physical aspect of jogging/running but on a treadmill its just so boring, even with a TV in front of me. I usually run for 45 minutes or so and time seems to go slow.
Yep, I hear that. I run outdoors and 45 minutes seems like nothing. On a treadmill, it feels like an eternity.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado26 View Post
I love it ! Once I get through the first 10 minutes the rest flows naturally. When I first started a some years ago, I could barely do 5 minutes, but I continued and every week, I increased by a minute.
Yep, the first half mile or so for me is always the toughest, but once I get into a groove, I'm good to go.

Quote:
along side the ocean.
I'll trade you! My good old flat mid-western landscape of Ohio for your ocean, lol.

Quote:
Can't leave out the compliments and admiration I get from others.
Yea, when running the other day, I realized my legs looked about as muscular as the olympic runners. I was pretty proud of myself Now if I could just get my upper body to cooperate, lol.

Quote:
When the time comes and I can no longer jog, I am not sure what will become of me. It certainly can become addictive.
I messed up a disc in my back earlier this year and my doctor told me not to jog for a few months. It was terrible! I was only aloud to do an exercise bike. BLAH!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM

59 posts, read 126,905 times
I love running, specifically long distance running.

It's weird, but I get a "primitive" rush out of it. The idea of running/traveling longer distances by foot just feels right. It's almost like there is an element of journey or adventure associated with it.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I used to jog, but not only did it put undue stress on my joints, but it's incredibly BORING.

Yeah, this is when the pro-jogging crowd comes in and tries to tell me how spiritual it is, blah blah blahbity blah. But it is more tedious than an actuarial convention to me. Others enjoy it, which is fine. But to me it's the equivalent of watching grass grow.

So I bike. Much more enjoyable, which means I'm more likely to do it.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Yep, I hear that. I run outdoors and 45 minutes seems like nothing. On a treadmill, it feels like an eternity.
Yup! I can do weight lifting or run outside and it goes by quick but treadmills just seem like forever. BUT if there is a good show or movie on the TV it makes it easier.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I used to jog, but not only did it put undue stress on my joints, but it's incredibly BORING.

Yeah, this is when the pro-jogging crowd comes in and tries to tell me how spiritual it is, blah blah blahbity blah. But it is more tedious than an actuarial convention to me. Others enjoy it, which is fine. But to me it's the equivalent of watching grass grow.

Did you listen to music while you jogged? If not, it really does make a huge difference. Now for me, lifting weights is boring. I just can't work up the motivation to lift like I can for jogging. And it sucks because I am built like a football player, just with a little more fat than muscle, lol, so if I could start lifting weights, it wouldn't take long for me to look like hulk, just because of how I'm built already. But I just cannot work up the motivation to do it. I keep telling myself that tonight is the night I go down into my basement and start lifting those weights that have been sitting there collecting dust. But, nope. I find something else to do or talk myself out of it one or another to avoid doing it. Now jogging? No problems whatsoever getting motivated for it. Now I do like to bike, but I eventually even get bored with that. I used to bike with a friend last year who liked to bike 2 to 3 times per week and that kind of wore me out on the biking thing. It was just too much and go too boring.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I can lift weights all day. Music, no music, whatever. LOVE IT.

But all of it (running, biking, weights, swimming, yoga, yadda) pales in comparison when it comes to playing a sport.
Then time falls away and I literally never get bored...could go on for hours or all day.
That's the suckiest thing about being an adult with a crazy mixed up inconsistent schedule. No sports.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
And there you have it, folks. Do what you like doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness