Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Walk walk walk walk walk. Make sure you've got good shoes to avoid shin splints.

Do you belong to a gym? At the gym, you can use the rowing and elliptical machines. Those are nice alternatives to walking outdoors and/or using the treadmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
PS shin splints generally is a temporary phenomenon that is common for novice runners, but disappears as fitness improves.
It's also common if your shoes are worn down. Get new shoes and see if that doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you are already doing incline on the treadmill for 30 minutes then start doing some strength training as well. Strength training is the #1 way to lose and to get fit.
Great idea. If done correctly, strength training shouldn't strain your joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
To answer the "why": I've tried running on more than one occasion and ended up with painful things like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, etc. So I've been walking the treadmill on a steep incline, which is easier on the body but more difficult to accomplish than I thought.
This is common, I have been running my whole life and I still will get the splints if I take a pause for a while. Do a web search around for stretches and ways to reduce shin splints, they will eventually stop occurring all together. If you weigh a lot, you might want to keep with the treadmill, bike, or swimming until your weight comes down as to not have so much pressure on your knees and feet.

Also, your shoes are important, check the pronation of your feet and buy shoes that best fit your pronation, this is important and I think many people over look this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
As for the comment about diet: I am already working on that. I'm not only changing the kinds of foods that I eat, I'm also eating smaller portions. This is also very difficult, because pulling myself away from all my favorite foods (pizza, fried chicken, cheeseburgers) in favor of healthy food causes me to have cravings!
Check out this thread going on: //www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-very-bad.html

The first few weeks, maybe months, are the worst when there is a change of eating habits. I just maintain since I am at my goals, which is a lot easier than trying to get to a goal.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This is common, I have been running my whole life and I still will get the splints if I take a pause for a while. Do a web search around for stretches and ways to reduce shin splints, they will eventually stop occurring all together. If you weigh a lot, you might want to keep with the treadmill, bike, or swimming until your weight comes down as to not have so much pressure on your knees and feet.

Also, your shoes are important, check the pronation of your feet and buy shoes that best fit your pronation, this is important and I think many people over look this.

Check out this thread going on: //www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-very-bad.html

The first few weeks, maybe months, are the worst when there is a change of eating habits. I just maintain since I am at my goals, which is a lot easier than trying to get to a goal.
If you do a mid strike or a ball strike as opposed to a heal strike you will limit if not eliminate shin splints. That said it is very hard to change strikes once one is used to running a certain way. I am trying to not heal strike so much focusing on my ball. Its different, but there is so much more power and I am not stressing my shins at all.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Has anyone mentioned swimming yet? But I would do speed swimming, and not slow relaxed swimming. I find doing things that are explosive increases my metabolism, and burns fat more. It is very low impact. Once you have your muscles up to speed, you can keep on going
The OP already stated up front that they don't know how to swim.

As to diet (to the OP, who mentioned how difficult it is to take burgers and pizza out of the equation): There's nothing wrong with a decently-made cheeseburger, even if you're trying to lose weight. Thing is, you have to make the burger yourself, because restaurants won't make it in a way that is good for you rather than bad for you.

Instead of quarter pounders, or thumbnail-sized pieces of who knows what kind of meat surrounded by fattening salty sugar-laden condiments and cardboard-shaving bread...

Make a 1/5 pound burger with ground chuck or 85% lean meat. Add a little red pepper and a pinch of minced garlic or onion. Grill it, don't pan-fry or broil. Toss a thin slice of cheddar cheese on it just before it's ready to eat. Put it on a plate, heap it with baby greens and a fresh ripe tomato slice. You could serve that with grilled veggies too - a skewer of mushrooms, zucchini, squash, grape tomatoes, and red and green pepper chunks.

As for the pizza, the only way around not eating any, is to eat only one or two slices total for your meal. If you can't eat just one - then you'll need to avoid it for awhile.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Walk walk walk walk walk. Make sure you've got good shoes to avoid shin splints...

It's also common if your shoes are worn down. Get new shoes and see if that doesn't help....

I don't claim to be expert, but the worn shoe idea is contrary to my experience. The shoes in my gym bag are at least 1.5 years old. How many miles, I have no idea, but it must be around 2000 miles, maybe more, mostly treadmill use. I never get shin splints. I think they are caused by lack of fitness and/or trying to increase speed/mileage too quickly. The cure is rest/recovery, and then when your legs have healed, resume your exercise efforts, this time with a little more patience.

A Primer on Lower-Leg Pain | Running Times Magazine

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't claim to be expert, but the worn shoe idea is contrary to my experience.
That's fine. All I know is that when my shins start to hurt, I buy new shoes, and the pain goes away. If I keep using the same shoes, my shins keep hurting. Works for me.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"However, my body cannot tolerate high-impact exercises such as running and aerobics."

Why?

"Am I doomed to remain pudgy forever, or are there any other really effective low-impact exercises that burn fat?"

Start in the kitchen.
Exactly. Nothing...NOTHING beats watching what you put in your mouth.

Also, learn to swim. It's a life skill. And you may find you love it.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

As for the pizza, the only way around not eating any, is to eat only one or two slices total for your meal. If you can't eat just one - then you'll need to avoid it for awhile.
I'm ditching wheat (and we already ditched refined carbs), but I LOVE pizza way too much...so I found there are other types of crusts you can make, including cauliflower crust!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm ditching wheat (and we already ditched refined carbs), but I LOVE pizza way too much...so I found there are other types of crusts you can make, including cauliflower crust!
Although I -can- eat a whole small bacon pizza by myself (it's not a personal pan size. It's just a normal New York style small, 8 thin slices), I'm okay with just having two (or three max) slices of mushroom pizza, once every month-6 weeks, and not having pizza at all the rest of the month/period.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That sounds weird & interesting. Please post the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness