Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Warren Buffet's company owns, among many others, Brooks running shoes.

For Runners, a Lift From Warren Buffett - NYTimes.com

One reason he likes it is that the level of repeat business. What other sport do the participants have to junk their major equipment as much as once a month and buy a new set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
“The average runner buys 2.6 pairs of shoes a year,” Mr. Weber said. “That’s why Warren loves the business. He’s been getting reports on our business on a monthly basis for years, so I think he’s been watching us and we’re performing.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM

53 posts, read 143,083 times
I'm a 280 lb competitive powerlifter and replace my shoes about once every 2-3 months, lol.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
My legs, especially around my knees, and feet will tell me when its time to replace my shoes.

When I was heavier, I had to replace them more often, mainly due to needing less and less stability as I lost weight. I'm now in neutral shoes and I rotate between two different pair as a recommendation from a more experienced runner. This has seemed to help with the life of both pair as well.

I don't believe any shoes are built to last over 400-500 miles, but I do know some runners who can keep going in shoes until the soles are worn or there are holes at the toes! I think in those situations, the runner doesn't feel any pain or difference in stride as the cushion/form/last of the shoes break down, so they figure they can keep running and running. For those people, they probably do feel like their shoes are built to go well over 1000 miles.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Or just run in shoes with zero support or no cushion. You replace them when you wear out the tread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness