Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times

Advertisements

I am extremely 'weight loss resistant' myself. You and I have a few things in common (the fruit thing is a biggie LOL!) I also prefer to intermittently fast sometimes, depends on my mood. I'm the type of person who will begin a pattern of overeating if I start that 'eat 5 or 6 times a day' stuff.

This article holds most true for me personally and I always refer back to it when I stall:
http://jasonferruggia.com/12-reasons...ot-losing-fat/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM

88 posts, read 296,511 times
I am 5'3 and 109 pounds. My natural weight is around 120-125. I eat a moderately low-carb diet with lots of lean protein. Breakfast is typically a chicken-avocado salad with lettuce, chickpeas, and peppers with oil & vinegar. For snacks I eat cashews or coconut flour muffins (no added sugar). Lunch is either some sort of salad or salmon with steamed vegetables on the side.... etc, etc

I like too cut out all carbs whatsoever, so that's why I put some beans in my salads.

I eat a lot of vegetables to cut down on calories without getting hungry. I don't eat any sugar, ever, because I used to be a sugar addict so I never eat it since I don't want to get hooked on it again.

I drink either black tea (with nothing in it) or coffee with unsweetened almond milk.

My diet is like 90% paleo.

I do pilates, yoga, jogging, and a strength training class with interval training. I jog about once a week and try to strength training 4 times a week (counting pilates), and interval training at least 2 times. I also try to do lots of walking even though I live in the suburbs.

Last edited by piggyy; 08-21-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
I am 5'11 and 134 pounds currently. I work out like crazy, have a toddler to chase around, and in general have a Very hectic lifestyle!

I gain weight easily. My weight without working out and dieting would prob be about 170, as I am extremely small boned even thO I'm tall this is too much for me! Low carb diet, lots of cardio work for me

Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Meal frequency makes zero difference as to your weight gain or gain loss. It doesnt matter if you eat 12 times a day or 1.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
When I was younger (early twenties), I'd have two large meals a day. I thought I was eating pretty healthy. I still had to watch my weight.

Today, I graze most of the day. I have light meals but love to snack on popcorn, pistachios, sunflower seeds, almonds, apples. I never really feel super hungry and I never feel full. I never weigh myself and I'm pretty slim.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
...and have to maintain a rigorous diet to keep their weight in check. What do you eat? How do you manage your weight?

I'm 5'4-5" ish 125lbs (2.5 lbs of that is silicone lol). I've been as much as 30-40 lbs heavier and I would say if I don't watch what I eat my natural weight would probably hover around 140lbs.

My diet normally consists of two meals a day (I'm very busy, work 7 days a week). And I'm a vegetarian.

One at 11 am: Usually tofu, black beans and rice or an omelette with feta and spinach and a side salad.

One at 5pm: Vegetable empanadas or a veggieburger with cheese and a side salad.

How would you improve upon this diet for more fitness and continued weight loss? No meat eating suggestions, not happening.
B-vitamins + coffee in the morning for energy (don't skip breakfast though, EVER) .

Shift around your calories. Be carb intense in the morning, light on the carbs for the last meal (heavy protein). It makes no sense to starve yourself on carbs in the morning since this boosts your metabolism and gives you energy for the rest of the day. At the same time and for the same reason, it makes no sense to eat carbs right before bed.

You should jog/run in the morning (20 minutes). I'd suggest setting a pace that winds you (and you almost give up) by the end of the 20 minutes. In the evening, you should do some light body-muscle work for about 20-30 minutes. This should happen almost everyday. One day of rest is okay. Two at most. Any more days without exercising and you're cheating.

Set aside 1 day of the week that you allow yourself to cheat on your diet. Eat all the foods you crave then. This will keep you on diet and also keep your body guessing (your body tends to wanna adjust to your diet).

You're welcome

Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
B-vitamins + coffee in the morning for energy (don't skip breakfast though, EVER) .

Shift around your calories. Be carb intense in the morning, light on the carbs for the last meal (heavy protein). It makes no sense to starve yourself on carbs in the morning since this boosts your metabolism and gives you energy for the rest of the day. At the same time and for the same reason, it makes no sense to eat carbs right before bed.

You should jog/run in the morning (20 minutes). I'd suggest setting a pace that winds you (and you almost give up) by the end of the 20 minutes. In the evening, you should do some light body-muscle work for about 20-30 minutes. This should happen almost everyday. One day of rest is okay. Two at most. Any more days without exercising and you're cheating.

Set aside 1 day of the week that you allow yourself to cheat on your diet. Eat all the foods you crave then. This will keep you on diet and also keep your body guessing (your body tends to wanna adjust to your diet).

You're welcome
Thats some good advice with the exception of breakfast bit. It makes zero difference if you have breakfast or not. In fact a recent study showed that a group that skipped breakfast altogether but made up the calories during other meals showed bigger gains and more weight loss than the group who regularly ate breakfast. If i find the link to the study, ill edit my post and gladly share it. New science isleaving all these traditional nutrition myths in the dust, its good to keep up with the advances.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
You could just eat miracle noodles(they have 0 calories). Yes,no calories.
Check them out.

Also check out Walden Farms. They have 0 calorie salad dressings,fruit spreads,and alfredo sauce among other things. The salad dressing are a hit and miss though. But with 0 calories,where can you beat that?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Thats some good advice with the exception of breakfast bit. It makes zero difference if you have breakfast or not. In fact a recent study showed that a group that skipped breakfast altogether but made up the calories during other meals showed bigger gains and more weight loss than the group who regularly ate breakfast. If i find the link to the study, ill edit my post and gladly share it. New science isleaving all these traditional nutrition myths in the dust, its good to keep up with the advances.
Breakfast is important to keep your energy levels high during the rest of the day. It also helps keep your metabolism high instead of crashing like in fad diets.

I'd be interested in seeing that study.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You could just eat miracle noodles(they have 0 calories). Yes,no calories.
Check them out.

Also check out Walden Farms. They have 0 calorie salad dressings,fruit spreads,and alfredo sauce among other things. The salad dressing are a hit and miss though. But with 0 calories,where can you beat that?
Her problem isn't too much calories (by the sound of it). Constantly reducing calories causes your body to slow its metabolism down. After a while, it's just counterproductive.

A healthy diet involves a good amount of calories but from the right foods and at appropriate times of the day. Also, plenty of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness