Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,950,350 times

Advertisements

So I started a new diet on Monday and its making me sick. Like, I want to throw up at night sick. I've always worked out and I've been taking about two scoops of protein powder for months. I decided to take last week off eating healthy and hitting the gym. Might be stupid but I wanted to rest up my body and get the "eat like crap" phase out of me which I did.

However, I feel awful the last three days. I've been eating oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, black beans, and four scoops worth of protein powder. My plan was to eat tuna and some spinach for dinner but the last two nights, I feel nausea so I haven't been able to eat dinner. I thought it was the increase of protein powder so I cut it back down to two scoops but I'm eating the eggs now and I feel like crap. I've been eating hard boiled eggs for a good while now.

I was drinking alot of soda and eating fast food. I stopped doing that on Monday. Nothing but water and eating healthy. Is my body in shock? I feel like I can't eat anything. I've hit the gym hard this week but the second I come home and eat, I feel like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 PM

503 posts, read 770,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
.... I've been eating oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, black beans, and four scoops worth of protein powder. ....
I bet you have horrible gas . DH would have to stay outside if he ate like that! Sorry - don't mean to poke fun. That is an awful lot of protein though.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Sounds like way too much protein to me. Also, if you're cutting out sugars, processed carbs, and caffeine - either all or even one of those - you will have a withdrawal period, from caffeine and sugar especially. That can last several days - then you will feel GREAT once they are totally out of your system and you're past the craving.

My bet is that you're withdrawing from caffeine and sugar from all those sodas. STAY OFF THEM - they do absolutely NOTHING for you and are empty junk.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Why all the protein? Your body can only handle so much of it. Try a balanced diet using all the food groups. You will feel better.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,359,704 times
Steak, eggs, chicken, broccoli, green beans, carrots, steel cut oats (just because they're cheaper)...and you're sewt.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Too much protein powder.
What is the deal with that much protein powder?
I only use it regularly on the days I lift and it's only one scoop.

Eat more real food.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,754,030 times
Post exactly what you eat for a typical 24 hour period, and you can get better advice.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,380 times
what exactly does "too much" mean? i'm pretty young, but i don't think it makes sense when they say you're consuming "too much" protein. i do very intense work on my body and weigh about 123 lbs. i consume 123g of protein every day. i usually divide it and have protein for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 123g doesn't include the protein i get from the food i eat (meat/vegetables/etc.). i don't ever remember myself getting nauseous, though.
kathryn's probably right. it could be your caffeine addiction.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,928,545 times
I wonder if you have some version of "induction flu" - sounds almost like you do, and it should pass. That happened to me the first time I cut my carb level really low in my diet. It is a common phenomenon with folks who go from eating a typical American diet and start the induction phase of the Atkins diet where they cut the carb level way down. Since you went from a week of binging on all kinds of foods down to this strict regimen, I'd bet your body is adjusting and you'll be fine in a day or two.

Some links:
The Low Carb Flu | Mark's Daily Apple
Low-Carb for You: Induction Flu
Moved to LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com/Blog: Getting Through The Atkins Induction Flu

Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,237,203 times
Dub D...oatmeal, black beans, hard boiled eggs and protein powder...you probably feel sick because it's almost ALL protein....bet you'd feel LOTS better if you added a bowl of steamed vegies with that protein, or at least ONE, beans, carrots, whatever and then allow yourself a desert of some nice fruit...mellon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness