Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Except the article that started this entire discussion is about a scientific study that found that obese people who exercise and are metabolically healthy do not have a greater risk of heart disease and cancer. So there's that.

Not really.

"The key is being "metabolically fit", meaning no high blood pressure, cholesterol or raised blood sugar, and exercising, according to experts."

And then they site a small definition of what metabolically fit means.

"Amy Thompson, of the British Heart Foundation, said: "In the majority of cases, obesity is an undeniable risk factor for developing coronary heart disease. However, these studies remind us that it is not always your weight that's important, but where you carry fat and also how it affects your health and fitness."

And that is JUST hear disease.

I see no mention of a control group or a peer review. They finish up with watching your BMI.

So no I don't see the study saying that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There is no such thing as the picture of health. Being "healthy" is about mitigating risk. There are many risk factors. Overweight people have higher risk than if that same person were not overweight. Period.
you can debate this for hours and the simple fact is, there alot of people who just want to be fat. They will search internet hourly to find any reason to justify being fat. In the 1950's, overweight people made up maybe 5% of the population, and now its 66%, but apparently its all do to genetics and medical conditions. You'll just have to accept it.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
you can debate this for hours and the simple fact is, there alot of people who just want to be fat. They will search internet hourly to find any reason to justify being fat.
Yup. I am just discussing.

Quote:
In the 1950's, overweight people made up maybe 5% of the population, and now its 66%, but apparently its all do to genetics and medical conditions. You'll just have to accept it.
Who CARES what it is "due to"? I have a genetic predisposition to alchoholism. Does that mean I should just accept alcoholic behavior?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yup. I am just discussing.

Who CARES what it is "due to"? I have a genetic predisposition to alchoholism. Does that mean I should just accept alcoholic behavior?
I didn't make that second part clear, i think genetic predisposition is just an excuse. I was using the 1950's and 60's to furthur my point that its an excuse. Apparently, people are predisposed to being overweight in 2012, but that wasn't the case 50 years ago? That genetic predispostion is just lame.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I didn't make that second part clear, i think genetic predisposition is just an excuse. I was using the 1950's and 60's to furthur my point that its an excuse. Apparently, people are predisposed to being overweight in 2012, but that wasn't the case 50 years ago? That genetic predispostion is just lame.
Yes, I know. I was agreeing with you.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Being a fit fat person doesn't negate gravity. Take care of those aching joints.

Ok, I've just come in the middle here, so I'm not aware of all the comments on this thread.

However, i wish to defend the "overweight = arthritis thoughts.

I have a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis. It first started when I was 21, and became progressively worse. I had both knees and one hip replaced at the age of 27. I was not overweight, actually, I was quite slender. I was 5'4", and about 118 pounds, when the RA began and throughout my 20's. It was NOT the weight that affected my joints. Over time, I have put on about 25 pounds---some of which I needed! During that time, my arthritis has gone from bad to worse to better. There's really no connection to my arthritis and weight.

What's my point? Just that we can't make snap judgments about others health,physical state, etc.

OTOH, my mother had a friend who was supposedly "morbidly" obese, she was that way most of her adult life. yet she had excellent health, had 4 children, worked, was active, etc. she died recently at the age of 96---what more could one ask from life? Her rail-thin husband passed away at age 76....well, who knows? Good health to all!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:16 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I've just come in the middle here, so I'm not aware of all the comments on this thread.

However, i wish to defend the "overweight = arthritis thoughts.

I have a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis. It first started when I was 21, and became progressively worse. I had both knees and one hip replaced at the age of 27. I was not overweight, actually, I was quite slender. I was 5'4", and about 118 pounds, when the RA began and throughout my 20's. It was NOT the weight that affected my joints. Over time, I have put on about 25 pounds---some of which I needed! During that time, my arthritis has gone from bad to worse to better. There's really no connection to my arthritis and weight.

What's my point? Just that we can't make snap judgments about others health,physical state, etc.

OTOH, my mother had a friend who was supposedly "morbidly" obese, she was that way most of her adult life. yet she had excellent health, had 4 children, worked, was active, etc. she died recently at the age of 96---what more could one ask from life? Her rail-thin husband passed away at age 76....well, who knows? Good health to all!
On the arthritis and obesity. Extra weight may not cause arthritis. But the extra weight is causing extra stress on the joints. Depending on the activity and the weight distribution the extra stress can be significant.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
On the arthritis and obesity. Extra weight may not cause arthritis. But the extra weight is causing extra stress on the joints. Depending on the activity and the weight distribution the extra stress can be significant.

Extra weight does NOT cause rheumatoid arthritis, which is what I have.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Not necessarily the weight that causes joint problems (whatever it may be), but the fat surrounding the joints and lack of muscle...

Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disease - it doesn't matter how much you weigh if you are attacked by RA. My Aunt has it and she is stick thin ~ but her joints swell; it's beginning to be very visible in her hands.

I can see that if she were 200 lbs; her joints would be even more stressed - but she's not; and she wa diagnosed with RA when she was very young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness