Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

So I'm 6 feet weight 189 with BMI of 25.6. I usually run 2 miles 4 times a week and do push ups every now and then but I feel like its not enough. I want to drop down to 175 if possible but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't drink soda or eat any junk food. What ways can I improve my exercise routine to help lose weight? (Thanks in advance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
You are taking more calories in than you are burning. Adjust your diet and exercise more.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Try doing multiple workouts, not just running and push ups. Do situps, lunges, power walking, etc. If you have access to weights start doing some light weights X many reps. Get yourself "toned" as they say. You may or may not lose weight, but at least your body will become more solid.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Are you sure you need to lose weight? You left out a key piece of information: your waist size. Weight and BMI don't tell the whole story. If your body fat percentage is good, then you don't need to lose weight. The best way to determine body fat percentage is to get tested, but waist size will give you at least a rough idea whether you've got too much fat or about the right amount. If it's the right amount, no need to lose weight. If it's too much, then it's good to lose the extra, but you don't know that just by your weight alone.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 3,782 times
My diet is a problem because I eat out often. Weight loss is my main priority and as for waist size I'm almost a 36 but I wear a 38. Is that good for my BMI?

Last edited by mrwhite12; 09-13-2012 at 01:14 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhite12 View Post
My diet is a problem because I eat out often. Weight loss is my main priority and as for waist size I'm almost a 36 but I wear a 38. Is that good for my BMI?
You've just answered your own question "What can I do to improve?"

Your answer: "My diet is a problem."

Solution: Fix your diet.

Result: The few extra pounds will melt off.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Eating out is way more difficult, but not impossible. Many people, myself included, cannot just "eat less". We need to track and count. Some restaurants offer calorie information right on their menu, like Applebees. If I were you, I would do a calorie counting website or Weight Watchers or something like that.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
I'm just a little bigger than you and whenever I want to lose 10 lbs after a vacation or the holidays this is what I do:

-Avoid alcohol for 2-3 weeks. Just avoiding alcohol is worth 3-4 lbs for me.
-Replace a meal or two a day with an Ensure or something similar. (I know they are made for old people, but it works)
-Walk every day and then do hill sprints once or twice a week.
-If you have to go out and eat go to places like Chipotle or Chinese food but don't get much rice.

I do a lot of hiking and climbing up in the mountains, so I try to get as skinny as possible at the beginning of the summer. If I really need to lose weight I get up, drink a couple of cups of coffee, fill my backpack with water and head out the door for a 3-4 hour hike. Bring some emergency food if I really need it to get back to my car, but do not eat a thing. After about 90 minutes your body starts burning off body fat for fuel.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM

252 posts, read 459,137 times
Even outside food you can manage to eat healthy. Go for grill chicken or stake without anything on it. (No creamy sauce etc)

Replace potatoes with veggies. Green beans, roasted or grilled veggies, broccoli etc.

do 20-30 min cardio and add weight workout, strength training.

Start your day with healthy breakfast and have balanced food every 2-3 hours.

For the target weight and size it shouldn't take you more than 6 to 8 weeks. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
Diet is important. Eating out does not help. No soda is great. Eat homecook healthy meals with lots of leafy vegetables and cut sugar out of your diet. You get enough sugar from fruits which should be included in your daily diet. Keep on working out. Seriously, cut sugar and you will feel different. Good luck. Staying up late is not good too, go to bed earlier to avoid eating late night snacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness