Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM

283 posts, read 508,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you have a genuine gluten intolerance? A lot of people are assuming they do when in actuality they do not. The cupcake you ate made you feel like crap because of the sugar.
Do not over think your diet. As the poster said above, just eat a variety of whole, fresh foods. Drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise. Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Lift weights. Push yourself.
Avoid refined foods, fast foods, pre-packaged foods. Limit sugars, simple carbs and saturated fats.
Moderation is the key.
If certain foods really do make you feel like crap go to a nutritionist or your doctor for further testing.

I agree.

I'll bet a dollar that the OP never felt "slow and stupid" after eating something with gluten in it up till a year or so ago when gluten became "The Evil Food-Stuff of the Month!" LOL Up till then he probably consumed it fairly regularly and felt fine.

Foods with too much sugar and simple carbos are what makes you feel lousy, since they both spike unsulin levels in your blood, and then then your sugar level plummets.

True: gluten is a starch and starches do turn to and are stored as sugar unless you burn them off with exercise before they have a chance to do so. (within a couple days.)

To the OP: Moderation is the Key! If you eat clean 80% of the time and exercise regularly--for an hour or so a day, four/five times a week--then it's perfectly fine to treat yourself to a cupcake or a drink or a small dish of ice cream once in awhile. Say maybe two or three times a month.
In fact, "being bad" once in awhile may actually benefit you in the long run, because you can use it as a reward system for all your hard work. Thus keeping you motivated to stay on course with your clean eating/exercise regimen.
I've seen too many people dive into one or another of those fad diets and couple that with intense exercise everyday, only to lose the weight, sure, but then burn out and resent the whole deprivation thing and then put the weight back on and forget about being healthy for good.
Also: you body will "talk to you" more, the healthier you get. So you really won't even need that much willpower to turn down eating, say, a chili cheese hotdog and a large coke, because you know that you'll feel like dog doo doo afterwards. That's from being in touch with your body.
Fat and sedentary people are usually completely out ot touch with their bodies.

Bottom line: Aim to "eat clean" for seven or eight out of ten meals. Exercise--doing something you like--four or five days a week. Avoid anything with trans fats or High Fructose corn syrup in it. (They are the REAL culprits here, not gluten.) Drink plenty of water.

And don't forget to reward yourself once in awhile. In moderation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
I agree.

I'll bet a dollar that the OP never felt "slow and stupid" after eating something with gluten in it up till a year or so ago when gluten became "The Evil Food-Stuff of the Month!" LOL Up till then he probably consumed it fairly regularly and felt fine.

Foods with too much sugar and simple carbos are what makes you feel lousy, since they both spike unsulin levels in your blood, and then then your sugar level plummets.
LOL! Stupid crazy people think their minds are being hijacked by bread! LOL!

You know, simple sugar actually makes me feel great (depending on when I eat it). But I do have a lot more energy when I cut back on starch. Perhaps metabolism is more complicated then your "high GI carbs --> insulin spike --> crash --> tired and sluggish" understanding. It's a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness