Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Bodyfat percentage means nothing if you don't have muscletone. A thin person with no muscles isn't merely skinny. The word "scrawny" applies, to them.

A bulky person with little fat isn't obese, but they ARE big and bulky. Muscular is a good term for them.

Neither the scrawny person nor the muscular person are necessarily "fit," by virtue of their muscles or lack thereof. The very muscular he-man who can't draw a breath because his lungs are being crushed by his chest muscles, isn't fit (I actually knew a guy like that, it's what came to mind). A very skinny person who's so undernourished her bones have become brittle and her hair is falling out, is not "fit." A woman who builds SO much that her hormones have changed dramatically and she is no longer menstruating, is not "fit." A man with thighs the size of tree trunks who can crush a hollow steel watermelon with his elbows, whose testicles are so tiny that his wife finds the old lady next door to be sexier than her own husband, is not "fit."

Fitness isn't merely having muscles, or having muscletone, or being thin. Fitness is being at optimum physical and physiological health. A gym can help with some of it. But it isn't the determining factor and can even become a factor in being UNfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
"Fitness is being at optimum physical and physiological health."

Really conflated statement there.. or rather the obvious statement. It's what "optimum physical health" actually means (Physical health and physiological health are the same thing in the context you used it in...fyi).

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Back in college at the gym I would see several of the same dudes there about 70% every time I went, regardless of morning, afternoon, or night. They were gigantic and must spend their entire lives working out. So I'd say on average the men definitely are fitter, I just really question the practical application of this obsession. Maybe the women have more useful things to do?
meatheads....how the heck can you pump iron for more than 3 or 4 hours a day?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Olympic weightlifters do.. and other elite level athletes (Even the professional team players you probably root for) train for more than 3-4 hours a day.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM

110 posts, read 211,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Familiar with the term skinny fat?

No one wants to touch someone and not feel some lean muscle. Someone who is skinny with no structure or tone beneath is not appealing.
Actually I'm not skinny fat. I'm skinny and toned. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful! *Whips hair*

Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Do you see more super fit men or super fit women in the gym, or is it equal? Just curious.
I see more damaged people in the gym. I really don't work out in the free weight section, but with the weight machines that are more controlled. If you sit in the lobby and wait for someone to show up, it becomes apparent that a lot of the users are people that need the exercise to keep going.

Maybe instead of worrying so much about what schools are doing, our local governments could join in and build more places like this that have reasonable rates and we could all improve our health and have fun doing it.

http://www.monroeaquaticsandfitnesscenter.com/index.php

Last edited by NCN; 10-21-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
meatheads....how the heck can you pump iron for more than 3 or 4 hours a day?
You aren't going to get bigger lifting that long... BUT if you do 1.5 hours cardio and 1.5hrs lifting then you can get ripped and show a good amount of lean muscle.

I workout 1.5hrs to 2hrs

Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I see more damaged people in the gym. I really don't work out in the free weight section, but with the weight machines that are more controlled. If you sit in the lobby and wait for someone to show up, it becomes apparent that a lot of the users are people that need the exercise to keep going.
What do you mean by people that need exercise to keep going?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
What do you mean by people that need exercise to keep going?
It is called use it or lose it. Sitting on the sofa watching TV has the same results as a pack of cigarettes a day. My husband and I have discovered that when we go exercise we are more able to do other things too. The average person dies within six months of their retirement. I retired six years ago. I exercise with 80+ year old people on a regular basis.

Many regular users of the gym have had car accidents, strokes, heart attacks or other things happen to them that caused a recovery time. When doing the recovery they got into the habit of exercising on a regular basis and I see them often when we go exercise. So the exercise keeps them well so they can keep moving.

I had always thought of a gym as a place where people flexed their muscles. We see a few of those types but the majority are just everyday people that include exercise in their daily routine. It is all about healthy living.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You aren't going to get bigger lifting that long... BUT if you do 1.5 hours cardio and 1.5hrs lifting then you can get ripped and show a good amount of lean muscle.

I workout 1.5hrs to 2hrs

I do zero conditioning ("Cardio") and lift 2x a day, 1.5-2 hrs each session. I am at 10% body fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness