Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times

Advertisements

What is the better goal to set? Ideal body weight or a low body fat reading, or both? I have a muscular build, but could stand to lose 20 pounds. However, i would love to have a body fat measurement between 15-20%. I'm 6' and 247 pounds. Any suggestions!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
What is the better goal to set? Ideal body weight or a low body fat reading, or both? I have a muscular build, but could stand to lose 20 pounds. However, i would love to have a body fat measurement between 15-20%. I'm 6' and 247 pounds. Any suggestions!
Thanks
Thats up to you. What is your goal? What do you want to look like? Do you want to lift more weight or do you just want to be toned?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
I lift weights. Want to be toned and muscular at the same time

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Then short term, I recommend you bulk up. Lift a lot, try cutting all fast food and non nutritious food from your diet. Eat items high in protein and low in fat. This will help you to increase muscle mass, you may stay around the same weight. Then long term once you've started noticing significant gains in strength, try to cut the fat. Intake less calories than your spending to lose your body fat. The reason its hard to do both at the same time is because the diet will most likely tire you out. Some people experience some muscle loss while cutting. That is when its all cardio/diet.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
In my opinion, striving for a body fat percentage goal is the better goal. Who cares what you weigh if you look the way you want to look? Weight can fluctuate for so many reasons, and ultimately, most of us don't care what we weigh, but instead care about how we look.

I would use a picture guide like this to help you choose your goal:

A Body Fat Percent Picture Guide!

Personally, as a woman, my goal is 22% body fat. If I weigh 200 pounds when that happen, so be it.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
First, you should get rid of the term 'toned' from your dictionary.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
What is the better goal to set? Ideal body weight or a low body fat reading, or both?
Start with the weight then work on the fat.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
In my opinion, striving for a body fat percentage goal is the better goal. Who cares what you weigh if you look the way you want to look? Weight can fluctuate for so many reasons, and ultimately, most of us don't care what we weigh, but instead care about how we look.

I would use a picture guide like this to help you choose your goal:

A Body Fat Percent Picture Guide!

Personally, as a woman, my goal is 22% body fat. If I weigh 200 pounds when that happen, so be it.

Exactly right. Why do you care what the scale says? It should 100% be about how you look and feel, numbers on a scale are arbitrary, IMO.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
Quote:
Thanks
Focus on body fat, the weight will take care of itself. You say you have muscular build, but obviously not the look you want so likely the body fat is the reason.

At 6', 247 lbs, do you do bodyweight exercises? Pull-ups, push-ups, and dips? How about jump rope?Once you get to the point where you master these movements, I can almost guarantee that your body fat will be much improved (Note: I realize that "master" can mean different things to different people, but in this case it means a significant increase in what you can do right now, for ex 1 pull-up today vs. 5 pull-ups in a month).

Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 AM

234 posts, read 822,774 times
[quote=subPrimeTime;26260999]Focus on body fat, the weight will take care of itself. You say you have muscular build, but obviously not the look you want so likely the body fat is the reason. quote]

Bingo....Just work on getting that bodyfat in check and the weight will follow. Who wants to be a muscular guy that is not healthy and eats bad. Work on eating cleaner and cut some calories. You will be amazed how easy it will come off.

By the way do you have any idea on where you are at bodyfat wise right now? You my not be as bad as you think. Go and get yourself measured to see where you are at. Be sure to go to a reputable person to get the measurements done, do not rely on a health club person with a handheld electronic unit.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness