Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Just do everything that I mentioned before and walk and/or do some running. As you age you need weight bearing exercise.

To illustrate a friend of mine who was in his early 50's and an avid cyclist went to the doctor. Doctor told him that he had good news and bad news. Good news was that he had the heart & lungs of a 25 year old. Bad news was that he had the bone structure of a 75 year old woman. His bones were really weak because he never lifted or walked.
I've been lifting weights for about 5 years now, and also run. Will try some of your tips, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
For me personally, some thing really flare up my joints.....dairy has to be the worst offender of them all.

If I work out and am a little sore the next day.........then eat, say...yogurt for lunch....man, my joints will flare up and exhibit crepidity.
VERY interesting. I'll look into this, as I have mild Lactose problems. (and I eat Yogurt every day!)

Reps.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Dairy and gluten seem to be the big offenders here. I would suggest laying off dairy and grains and see if this helps. I know that when I eat relatively strict "paleo" I carry less weight/bodyfat and my joints feel better.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
You may have Osteoarthritis. My dr told me it shows up in the 40s-50s, but I am lucky enough to have it as well as other issues now, in my 30s.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM

110 posts, read 211,765 times
You have arthritis if your joints hurt.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I've been lifting weights for about 5 years now, and also run. Will try some of your tips, thanks.

When you do run, avoid running on pavement to save your joints. Run only on grass/dirt. The past year I have been doing some barefoot running; I slowly worked up to doing about 4 miles at a time. I do it on a treadmill. I think that this has made my feet much stronger, and perhaps in turn help reduce the load on hips and knees. You could probably get similar resullts by running in some 'minimalist' shoes like Vibram FF, New Balance 'Minimus,' Terra Plano, Merrell 'trail glove,' etc. There are a bunch of them out there now. Just a warning--you have to start out slow & short, & slowly build up.

I take a supplement called 'MSM' and I believe it has helped me, but who really knows. I tried Glucosamin/Chondroiton, felt like it did nothing, and then I heard a doctor say that the studies found it to be ineffective. Oh yeah, also I am definitely a believer in Vitamin D. I have read enough about this to be convinced, and take a 2000 mg pill almost every day.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners View Post
You have arthritis if your joints hurt.
I doubt this is accurate. About 4 years ago I hurt my hamstring pretty bad by trying to run too fast, and it seemed like I had a lot of hip pain in connection with this. As the muscle pain got better, the joint pain seemed to get worse (I'm pretty sure this was exacerbated by long hours sitting at the computer). At one point it was so bad that people were asking me why I was walking funny. But I took MSM, vitamin D, & Calcium citrate and slowly came back with running, and slowly the joint pain went away. Now it is back to 100%. I never went to a doctor for it. I generally don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying. I don't know if the supplements helped, or it was just a matter of time. Whatever it was, I don't think it was arthritis.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times
I began developing aching knees a couple of years ago. I started taking 2 T. of ground flaxseed (which contain Omega oils) per day along with glucosamine & chondroitin. The pain completely went away. I also do a lmoderate amount of stationary biking, walking, and elliptical to keep my joints flexible.

I'm surprised that a study found glucosamine & chondroitin ineffective, because I know many other people who say it's helped them with joint pain, too.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 10-07-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Dairy and gluten seem to be the big offenders here. I would suggest laying off dairy and grains and see if this helps. I know that when I eat relatively strict "paleo" I carry less weight/bodyfat and my joints feel better.

I second this advice.

And give it a decent amount of time....say 14 days of NONE of the suspect foods. Evaluate at the end of the 14 days then EAT the foods for the next couple of days and see how you react.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I began developing aching knees a couple of years ago. I started taking 2 T. of ground flaxseed (which contain Omega oils) per day along with glucosamine & chondroitin. The pain completely went away. I also do a lmoderate amount of stationary biking, walking, and elliptical to keep my joints flexible.

I'm surprised that a study found glucosamine & chondroitin ineffective, because I know many other people who say it's helped them with joint pain, too.

I tried both Glu and Chon for quite a while.....did nothing except flare up rashes on my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness