Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

It also makes a big difference how you lift and train.

A good example is 8 time Mr. Olympia winner Ronnie Coleman.

He's gone through hip replacement and his body joints are wrecked. Yet you look at other bodybuilders around his age and older, and they are fine, like Rich Gaspari for instance.

Looking at Ronnie's training during his Olympia years, you'd understand why. Lifting obscenely heavy weights with abandon, combined with anabolic drug useage. Makes you cringe looking at it.

The sad thing is, Ronnie still trains with that mindset now even after the hip replacement and surgeries. He still lifts heavy and with not strict form. Kind of sad really.

As I get older, I lift with control and don't do ego lifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I'm not attacking weights, but honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to lift weights anymore.

If calesthenics can get you strong, capable, limber, and pain free, wouldn't it be a better route to take than weight lifting?

It is our ego that makes us lift so much weight.
Probably because resistance training provides you with numerous benefits, especially in seniors. You can obtain those benefits without trying to set any world record feats of powerlifting.

Moderate weight training has many benefits and few drawbacks assuming proper form is observed.

Last edited by Juram; 02-04-2016 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Moderate weight training has many benefits and few drawbacks assuming proper form is observed.
This seems to be the case. Competing at a high level with, well anything really, requires sacrifice. This is especially prevalent with professional sports. You see pro athletes retire with limited mobility, constant pain, etc for the rest of their life. Yet the people that get together to play flag football every weekend at the local park have few if any long term bodily damage from it. On the contrary, the flag footballers enjoy healthier lifestyles than most others.

Same thing with weights. It takes a certain amount of excess to really incite detrimental effects. That excess is generally brought on by the desire to reach competition levels. People who lift for a few hours per week are highly unlikely to cause any long term issues with their health. Quite the opposite in fact.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 91,947 times
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. Any type of resistance exercise is beneficial for the body. It's about being smart with how you program your resistance training that matters. If you go heavy all the time, it's taxing on your CNS, joints, ligaments, and tissues. You can go heavy on the lifts but you have to schedule de-load weeks after working out the body hard from time to time. Life is everything in moderation.

I do heavy resistance training, hypertrophy lifting, calisthenics, plyometrics, HIIT, play handball and other various sports, and jump rope. I listen to my body and if I feel that I'm feeling burnt, I take a day or two off or I will do one heavy day and then a lighter day. I'm 32 years old and feel great. People say I look like I'm in my early 20's.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddygreco View Post
I have been bodybuilding for 40 years. I am now 63 and probably need hip surgery. I will be evaluated at Miami Health in 2 weeks. I squatted heavy for most of that time. The arthritis is in every singled disc of my spine since age 38. The arthritis in my lower lumbar is the worst of all right now. I was also a rock musician and carried most of the my equipment on the side of the same hip. Using that hip more than the other. I did hard manual labor as a kid. I have necrosis in that hip which will never heal. Only get worse. My inflammation is quite unreal. I use a lot of ice after work-outs. Oh yeah...my squatting days are over but my legs and the rest of me still look great. If I had to do it all over and could remember this I would have done it different.
Plenty of people have these same issues without ever stepping foot in a gym...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Why do so many ex bodybuilders and weightlifters have hip replacements?
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. What are your sources for this info? How are you defining "bodybuilders" and "weightlifters"? They are two totally different things you know?

Quote:
Will a decade or more of weightlifting catch up to you and break your body down?
NO. I've been lifting weights since I was a pre and early teen and am now in my 40s and in better shape than most 20 year olds. "Weightlifting" (i.e., exercise and resistance training) is GOOD for you.

Its threads like this that really irritate me because it does nothing but throws out (and up) complete b.s. misinformation that will be read by people already having difficulty in health/fitness/weight loss that could possibly deter them from doing what is absolutely needed to get healthy and perhaps even save their lives.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
This thread is over three years old and the OP has not been on this board in over a year. Everything that needed to be said about this was pretty much said back in 2012. The OP made some statements about heavy lifting, specifically squatting, causing his hips to need replaced. We don't really know how hard he trained, whether he trained dangerously, etc. He made comments such as, "bro-science websites that call you a sissy if you don't squat big," so it is possible he may have done things that injured his hips.

I know a woman who qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials. She trained so much that by the time of the trials, she had a stress fracture and couldn't run. So does running causes stress fractures? The answer is possibly, if you run 150 miles a week.

Extreme activities can cause short and long term injuries. We will never know if his lifting caused his hip problems. What we do know is that sensible, even serious training usually does not cause these types of issues. I know of one weightlifter who has had a hip replacement. I know of over 30 people who have never lifted and have had one or more hip replacements. I could make a similar statement about running but I won't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness