U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,288,631 times

Advertisements

What are you doing now to remain physically fit or at least able to walk when you reach your 70s and older?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM

5,699 posts, read 10,489,157 times
This is what I do:

--yoga
--gym 4x/week for weight lifting/cardio
--a few vitamins/minerals to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs
--bikes rides/beach walks in the sunshine
--a way of eating low in anti-inflammatory foods and high in nutritive support
--no sodas/carbonated drinks to sap my bone mineral density
--low sugar

I've heard it said it's better to wear out than rust out, so I try to use my body in ways it's meant to be used. So far, so good--no arthritis or pain except for an occasional creaky knee diagnosed as "runner's knee".

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM

13,232 posts, read 16,546,087 times
just keep on walking as always....maintain my weight....stay away from processed foods....eat fresh from the garden....no vaccines.....don't stress if possible....make time for funtime with my grandkids....

Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 7,402,983 times
I'm 4 years away from 50 but I haven't altered my exercise regimen since I was a teenager. In fact, I've increased what I do because I have indoor machines now which make it easier to work out.

I still run 40-60 miles every week and hike a minimum of 38 miles over the weekends with elevation gains of 4,000 feet each hike (weather permitting- this tails off in the winter, even in southern CA). I also do the elliptical trainer and stairmaster 2-3 days week.

The only thing I have changed in 30 years is that I take days off now. I used to be able to run 18 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday with no problems. Now I must take a day (or even two) off after a 3 hour run. I never exercise 7 days a week anymore. Recovery becomes more important as you age.

And even with strenuous exercises, the body wears out and your health deteriorates. My father is 90 and was an elite masters-class marathoner, 6'1 and 150 pounds all his life. Ate nothing but health food, was a fanatic on nutrition. He still got old, had strokes and can't exercise anymore. He's an old man who looks as bad (or worse) than 90 year olds who are fat, smoke and sedentary. Exercise improves the quality of your life, I don't believe it's a panacea for everything else.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,305,270 times
I'm fifty-seven. Some years ago I developed knee trouble. I used to do a lot of running, and all the pounding against the ground seemed to be the cause of the aching knees, or a large part of the cause. As a result, I go with low-impact or moderate-impact exercises: brisk walking; stair-climbing; swimming during the summer; hiking on mountain trails during spring, summer, and fall.

The one other accommodation I've made regarding exercise is that I find now that when I try a new activity, or cycle back into an exercise I haven't done in some time, I need to advance to new levels more gradually than I had to in my twenties.

Other than advancing to new levels of conditioning more gradually and avoiding high-impact exercises, I just do what I've done since I started seriously exercising for fitness (as opposed to competitive sports in high school) at the age of twenty. The exercises aren't always the same, but the basic idea is: a mix of aerobic conditioning and strengthening exercises at a variety of intensities. I intend to keep doing this as long as possible--the rest of my natural years if all goes well.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,044,978 times
I'm 60. 2x/week kettlebell workout (mostly just two-handed swings), 2x/week concept 2 rower for 30-50 minutes, 10,000 steps most days (a lot of it is just parking far away from the office), 50-100 pushups most mornings. I need my recovery time from the first two, and I have no intention of getting bigger or more ripped or anything like that, but the regimen lets me eat pretty much what I want...which is good, because I really love food and good liquor.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,028,628 times
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'm 4 years away from 50 but I haven't altered my exercise regimen since I was a teenager. In fact, I've increased what I do because I have indoor machines now which make it easier to work out.

I still run 40-60 miles every week and hike a minimum of 38 miles over the weekends with elevation gains of 4,000 feet each hike (weather permitting- this tails off in the winter, even in southern CA). I also do the elliptical trainer and stairmaster 2-3 days week.

The only thing I have changed in 30 years is that I take days off now. I used to be able to run 18 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday with no problems. Now I must take a day (or even two) off after a 3 hour run. I never exercise 7 days a week anymore. Recovery becomes more important as you age.

And even with strenuous exercises, the body wears out and your health deteriorates. My father is 90 and was an elite masters-class marathoner, 6'1 and 150 pounds all his life. Ate nothing but health food, was a fanatic on nutrition. He still got old, had strokes and can't exercise anymore. He's an old man who looks as bad (or worse) than 90 year olds who are fat, smoke and sedentary. Exercise improves the quality of your life, I don't believe it's a panacea for everything else.
My hat is off to your Father who is well past the average.

To your statements, I agree that exercise is not everything. I would add stress control, proper rest and blood pressure control. Foods being very important. On days that I eat fast food, my blood pressure spikes 15+ points for hours. When I eat natural foods no problems at all, matter of fact BP lowers. Here's one oddity, I smoke 1 cigerette everyday with my morning coffee and I experience no BP issues (this does not mean that I will smoke more). Thats why I feel for me proper food consumption is paramount.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 11 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,680,925 times
I'm fifty years of age.

I do yoga a couple of times a week.

I walk regularly and also do things like park far away across a parking lot, take stairs rather than elevators, that sort of thing.

I keep my brain active by writing, drawing, and lots of reading.

I eat a very healthy, natural diet - no sodas, hardly any sugar, whole grains, lots of veggies and fruits, plenty of dairy for the calcium, etc. Hardly any red meat, hardly anything fried, fish several times a week, that sort of thing.

I play with my grandkids a lot.

I take care of my skin - use sunscreen, good moisturizers, etc.

I pamper myself with the occasional massage or facial or deep treatment for my hair.

I keep my mammogram, and physical, and yes, colonoscopy appointments.

I go to church occasionally. I meditate occasionally. I talk with God when I'm walking or simply outside enjoying nature.

I know that's a lot more than just keeping up with being able to walk, but I want my body, mind, and soul to be healthy and full of positive energy.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 PM

13,592 posts, read 8,427,951 times
I'm 68. I've had quintuple bypass and a Carodid. don't smoke and do 30 minutes on the eliptical to get my heart rate up to about 112-115 and keep it there. then I quick walk for two measured miles without a break. I do 2mi in 42 minutes. 2mi is actually 38 laps. I do 40 laps. Then I go to the senior center and have a balanced meal with vegetables, starches and protien. Sometimes desert. I do this 4 times a week. The 5th day I play 18 holes with the local men's club.
My cardiologist loves me.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 PM

18,048 posts, read 6,106,222 times
I'm a 63-year-old woman. I belong to a gym and visit four times a week. I start with 30 minutes on the elliptical, then I lift a total of 20,000 lbs. on nine different resistance exercises -- mostly arms but also legs, back and abdomen.

I also do some light hiking and bicycling occasionally, and for my brain I read voraciously and do lots of word games such as crossword puzzles and Text Twist.

I drink moderately (a glass of wine with dinner) and don't smoke or use drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or