Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
With or without a spotter?

The exercise is fine with a spotter. The shoulder is a complicated joint that is often injured. The injuries don't easily heal on their own and can last a lifetime.
I usually get a spotter around 115, 110 sometimes. I won't do 120 without a spotter.

I don't do upper body like that anymore though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
With or without a spotter?

The exercise is fine with a spotter. The shoulder is a complicated joint that is often injured. The injuries don't easily heal on their own and can last a lifetime.
Agreed, but that's why if you "lift to failure", you do get a spotter. If you have to drop the weights, then you can (I don't unless I have to, because I think it's dangerous to others/yourself). Experience with DB bench guides you on what you can/can't do, just like any other exercise.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Benching dumbbells is the most dangerous exercise I see in a gym. I can't see how someone could use enough weight to get any benefit unless you have a spotter. Many people end up with should injuries and this exercise will guarantee problems. Sitting up with dumbells is a good way to injure your back.
I love the dumbbell bench press, but I always have a spotter when I get past my comfort zone. There is a safe way to sit up with the dumbbells, although, I'm not sure if I can explain it. It's a fluid motion, of lowering the dumbbells while lifting the knees to meet them, and then letting the weight carry you down. I pop right up & off the bench. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and way easier than dropping the weights on the floor.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 14,271 times
A spotter is not necessary for the bench press. Maybe it is if you have some kind of medical condition, or working with 85%+ of your max.

You don't need to be trained how to properly lift either. It's all just practice. As long as one leaves their ego at the door the form will come with time. Some people are just happen to look awkward doing certain movements. For example someone with long arms will look awkward benching. Over months/years the person will learn to move in a movement that looks much more controlled and sturdy. The thing with practicing with out weights just does not apply. There is a HUGE difference between squatting your body weight and squatting with a bar on your back. The mechanism's change completely. Learning with some weight on your back will teach you how to squat correctly much faster than with out any weights.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreMill View Post
A spotter is not necessary for the bench press. Maybe it is if you have some kind of medical condition, or working with 85%+ of your max.

You don't need to be trained how to properly lift either. It's all just practice. As long as one leaves their ego at the door the form will come with time. Some people are just happen to look awkward doing certain movements. For example someone with long arms will look awkward benching. Over months/years the person will learn to move in a movement that looks much more controlled and sturdy. The thing with practicing with out weights just does not apply. There is a HUGE difference between squatting your body weight and squatting with a bar on your back. The mechanism's change completely. Learning with some weight on your back will teach you how to squat correctly much faster than with out any weights.

not sure if serious.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Just got back from the gym. I was doing bar dips and all of a sudden I hear a really loud "HEEEYYYYY" from behind me. I turned around quick and saw a guy on a bench by himself with the bar resting on his chest. I ran over and helped him. I asked him if he was ok and all he said was, "yeah, I always do that." Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I see all sorts of half-completed bench presses and squats at the gym all the time. Big muscular guys that don't bring the bar all the way down with far too much weight for them (and one or two reps). I always smile, because they don't realize they're just cheating themselves. I personally like benching dumbbells so that I don't need a spotter. I also believe in sitting up with your weights when you're done rather than dropping them on the ground (which I think is dangerous).

I use a forward pyramid, and always start out with light weights to get the motion down and get warmed up (combined with stretching).
Once you reach a certain weight it isn't possible to sit up with dumbbells after a set. I can go as high as 140lb dumbbells for 8 good reps, you can't sit up with that kind of weight, if someone is dumb enough to stand near me when I'm pressing that kind of weight then I don't feel sorry for them if they get hurt.

Yes I prefer dumbbell presses, especially for adding size to the pecs, because with dumbbells you get a much better squeeze

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Just got back from the gym. I was doing bar dips and all of a sudden I hear a really loud "HEEEYYYYY" from behind me. I turned around quick and saw a guy on a bench by himself with the bar resting on his chest. I ran over and helped him. I asked him if he was ok and all he said was, "yeah, I always do that." Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
no its not a good idea, but you need to up the intensity if you're aware of whats going on around you DURING a set, I would never stop mid-set to help somebody, I'm so tuned in I wouldn't even be aware that someone needs help, but at the same time if you think you might need a spot don't be afraid to ask

Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
no its not a good idea, but you need to up the intensity if you're aware of whats going on around you DURING a set, I would never stop mid-set to help somebody, I'm so tuned in I wouldn't even be aware that someone needs help, but at the same time if you think you might need a spot don't be afraid to ask
I was in between sets with no earbuds in and it was a loud yell. I wouldn't consider my workouts to lack intensity. However, if I did hear someone that needed help in the middle of a set and I could help, I still would.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Once you reach a certain weight it isn't possible to sit up with dumbbells after a set. I can go as high as 140lb dumbbells for 8 good reps, you can't sit up with that kind of weight, if someone is dumb enough to stand near me when I'm pressing that kind of weight then I don't feel sorry for them if they get hurt.

Yes I prefer dumbbell presses, especially for adding size to the pecs, because with dumbbells you get a much better squeeze
I mostly agree with your post, but there have been many times where someone grabs a bench near me and then drops the dumbbells on the floor after their set. They can bounce, flip and flop, depending on how they're dropped. In that case, the responsibility is on the person who's using the dumbbells to make sure it doesn't make its way to my station.

I wouldn't expect to bench 140lb. dumbbells without a spotter. I've hit 100 lb. dumbbells and have been able to sit up with them, but it was pushing it (for me at least), so I usually had a spotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness