Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM

225 posts, read 644,013 times

Advertisements

If you were doing a standing shoulder press and someone pulled a plate off as you had the bar raised overhead, what would your next move be?

1. How would you prevent injury?
2. How would you address the other person removing the in-use plate, or would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Did this actually happen?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM

225 posts, read 644,013 times
Not to me. This is something I recently ran across while looking for an answer to a different gym etiquette question, involving rock climbers and people horsing around behind the belayer. I did see some climbers fool around and knock a belayer off his feet, which caused the climber he was belaying to drop several meters unexpectedly (he was on a "take"). Fortunately, another belayer near him grabbed his harness as he flew up off the ground and a major incident was averted, save for the bruising and scraping of the poor climber.

So while looking into the etiquette of how to handle dangerous behavior, I ran across this (and was horrified) and felt it would be more universal - chances are more people on this forum would have done a standing shoulder press than belayed someone, so the answer would be general enough to apply.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Rock climbing and taking a weight off someones bar while being used is completely different. Perhaps you should have asked the rock climbing question first instead.

It is not general, because no one would take a weight off someones bar while it's being used unless that person did something to **** the other person off, or it is a friend being stupid.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Well to answer a hypothetical question, you dump the plates on the other side. Then use the empty bar to to take a swing at the jerk who took your plate.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
I've never seen anybody take the plates off a bar while somebody else was using it. Never heard of it either. Has anybody actually seen this happen?

In order to do so you would have to get close to the lifter. If the plates were locked on you would have to remove the keeper first. The lifter could potentially dump the plates onto you while you did so completely on accident.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
I would tell the staff immediately that someone was screwing around and compromising the belayer. That behavior is absolutely unacceptable when you are the potential lifeline for a climber. Absurd.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post
If you were doing a standing shoulder press and someone pulled a plate off as you had the bar raised overhead, what would your next move be?

1. How would you prevent injury?
2. How would you address the other person removing the in-use plate, or would you?

What would I do?

1. Crap my pants

2. Beat the ever living hell out of whoever would be dumb and/or rude enough to take weights off of a bar someone else was actively using

How could anyone be that dumb?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I would be forced to thrash that person.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
If that had actually happened to me, at my gym, I would ask the guy in a voice loud enough to be heard over the music and any idle chit-chat in the entire gym:

DID YOU REALLY MEAN TO PULL THE PLATE OFF MY BARBELL WHILE I WAS USING IT? BECAUSE, IF I HAD DONE THAT I WOULD BE SO EMBARRASSED TO BE CALLED OUT ON IT I WOULD IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE GYM AND NEVER SHOW MY FACE AROUND HERE EVER AGAIN.

And then I'd wait for the guy's response, while he's holding the plate that's missing from my barbell in his hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness