Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,907 times

Advertisements

It's true. Without even dieting, I lost about 30 pounds while living in Mexico City. I've been back in the USA for about five months and have noticed the pounds creeping back. My "thinner/healthier me" clothes are getting tight. It's damned frustrating. Has anyone else lived in another country--lost weight without trying---only to gain it back when returning to the USA?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Oh yea, common from many people I know. I lived overseas for many years and when I came back to the states, I had to be more conscious about foods I buy; basically follow the whole green food, whole food market buying, blah blah thing.

Also lifestyle changes, at least for me; for example, in Europe I walked a lot, it was a way of commuting, here in the states I hardly walk at all for routine life, i have to make a special occasion out of it.

Cosmetics in the states suck also from what my wife tells me.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
This shouldn't be a thread to start "i feel sorry for you" or "there are others out there like me, so I can legitimize my actions"...

Figure out why and how... then take action. Don't try and legitimize your actions by ranting on the internet and trying to find others as some sort of pseudo-support group.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
This shouldn't be a thread to start "i feel sorry for you" or "there are others out there like me, so I can legitimize my actions"...

Figure out why and how... then take action. Don't try and legitimize your actions by ranting on the internet and trying to find others as some sort of pseudo-support group.
This is good advice, thank you. My intentions were not to seek out a pseudo-support group here. And I don't recall mentioning my actions (or inactions) for legitimization by anyone. But I was trying to see if other people have been in this boat---so you're right about that part. The other responder hit the nail on the head: less walking, more convenience foods, etc. in the US.

Side note: I am rather blown away by the tone of your response.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
Just trying to be tough, get you out there and do something rather than sit on the chair and typing.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Just trying to be tough, get you out there and do something rather than sit on the chair and typing.
....thanks. I see now! Thank you for the encouragement.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I would be interested in knowing what you were eating while living elsewhere - compared to what you are eating now. Also, were you eating more or at different times? Have you really cut down that much on physical activity since moving to the USA?

I think the combination of foods we eat, when we eat them, how they are cooked (or the proportion of raw items to cooked items) all play a role in how we metabolize our food and how that affects our weight.

That would be very helpful insight (to me, personally) to find out what major differences there are between food you consumed previously and what you are eating now. I don't think it always has to do with portion control, either. Sometimes, we can eat MORE of certain items and actually lose weight.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
i was just having a discussion with my mother in law with the fatness of people in certain countries. she is from puerto rico, where almost everyone is fat. i basically believe its a mental thing where it must have to do with acceptance of being fat. since ultimately, eating more is a choice and fat people choose to be fat. she wanted to blame all the fried foods they eat in puerto rico. but she did say that in PR calling someone a little fat isnt a bad thing. they seem to have a high fat acceptance, and incredibly fat population. america has more and more fat acceptance it seems to me and people are getting fatter and fatter.

when she was in croatia recently, my wife said that very few people were overweight. the beach was full of bikini girls that actually belonged in bikinis. so i need to talk to a croatian about why. i cant talk to my brother's fiance/baby mama because i hate her.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would be interested in knowing what you were eating while living elsewhere - compared to what you are eating now. Also, were you eating more or at different times? Have you really cut down that much on physical activity since moving to the USA?

I think the combination of foods we eat, when we eat them, how they are cooked (or the proportion of raw items to cooked items) all play a role in how we metabolize our food and how that affects our weight.

That would be very helpful insight (to me, personally) to find out what major differences there are between food you consumed previously and what you are eating now. I don't think it always has to do with portion control, either. Sometimes, we can eat MORE of certain items and actually lose weight.
Last night I wrote down all the differences (what I ate, exercise levels, etc.) between living there and here. My notes are quite long and detailed so I won't post it all here. But, it is now clear to me how much MORE fresh food I was eating there versus here. Virtually all food I ate was homemade, and came from the outdoor food markets. Also, every day I ate corn tortillas and hot salsa, a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, and hardly any "junk" food. I can truly say I ate a larger quantity of food there than I do here. My diet here seems pretty healthy, too---but, I know I have indulged in more so-called "junk" than I ever did there. Your comment about eating more of certain items (how they're prepared, etc.) actually help us lose weight seems to ring true for me. Plus, my lifestyle was much more active there. I walked a LOT more (had no choice) and I did not sit at a desk job like I do here. I still walk here, but not to the extent I did there.

Well....I know what I need to do now....so I better get away from the darned computer and get out and move around! (And I'll be stopping at the Mexican grocery store to stock up on all the good stuff I was eating 5 months ago!)

Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was just having a discussion with my mother in law with the fatness of people in certain countries. she is from puerto rico, where almost everyone is fat. i basically believe its a mental thing where it must have to do with acceptance of being fat. since ultimately, eating more is a choice and fat people choose to be fat. she wanted to blame all the fried foods they eat in puerto rico. but she did say that in PR calling someone a little fat isnt a bad thing. they seem to have a high fat acceptance, and incredibly fat population. america has more and more fat acceptance it seems to me and people are getting fatter and fatter.

when she was in croatia recently, my wife said that very few people were overweight. the beach was full of bikini girls that actually belonged in bikinis. so i need to talk to a croatian about why. i cant talk to my brother's fiance/baby mama because i hate her.
Well, there are plenty of fat people in Mexico, too. (I heard they are either #1 or #2 on the "most obese" countries list??) Anyway---yes, there doesn't seem to be such a stigma about being fat in Mexico. Being called "Gordo" or "Gordita" are more terms of endearment than insults. Parents call their little pudgy babies that from birth onward. It's a very common nick-name there for both men and women (including kids). And yes, I agree---Americans are getting fatter and fatter. Just go people watch at any mall or other busy public place and you can see that plainly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness