Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 17,191 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I'm new to the forums and seeking advice.

Anyways, in October of 2011 I fractured my right ankle. Doctors said it was a Medial Malleolus Fracture. I had 2 screws put in and it's now been 6 months since then. I'm walking fine, running a little, and I'm working on getting my ankle stronger.

The question is, how possible would it be for me to start training mma again and without having to worry about something happening to my ankle again?

I can't go to the doctor at the moment, because I now live in another country, and not in the U.S. where I was seen by the doctor. I want to return to Muay Thai classes where I have gone before, but I am not sure.

What are your opinions on training and strengthening my ankle?

Thanks for any help and advice! I greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
I used to have karate classes. I just wonder if you might need some calcium supplementation. Otherwise, I'd continue stretches and do some easy kicks and strong punches so you can keep up your exercises.

I'd hate to give you any more suggestions, though. I hope you get more thoughts on this.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Like Brian.Person, I hesitate to give lots of advice. This sounds like something you need to check out with a doctor. Not being a medical professional with that kind of knowledge about this, I'd hate to give the wrong advice.

One thought I will offer has to do with the fact that you said you were working on strengthening your ankle. Are there exercises you're doing specifically for strength in the ankle? I think you want to do these exercises diligently, as it's likely that your ankle has lost strength from lack of use, and you'll really need to have this area strong in order to support the quick movements and changes of position in martial arts.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevMc View Post
I can't go to the doctor at the moment, because I now live in another country, and not in the U.S. where I was seen by the doctor. I want to return to Muay Thai classes where I have gone before, but I am not sure.

Send an e-mail to your doctor, or call him to find out. Or, go to another doctor and have him look at it and go from there. Asking people online what you should do is not a smart thing to do. Its far far far from being a smart thing to do.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
You really need to talk to your doctor about this. No two injuries are the same. Didn't you discuss your prognosis with your doctor?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 17,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You really need to talk to your doctor about this. No two injuries are the same. Didn't you discuss your prognosis with your doctor?
Ok this I can understand. Not wanting to give bad advice and I screw something up again. But what I'm really wanting to know is what are some exercises that I can do at home or in the gym with/without weights to help build muscle and strengthen my ankle.

This I would like to do before going back to MMA classes.

I am going to try to go see a Dr. soon. If I could just get some feedback on exercises that would be great. Thanks to all who have replied.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Ok this I can understand. Not wanting to give bad advice and I screw something up again. But what I'm really wanting to know is what are some exercises that I can do at home or in the gym with/without weights to help build muscle and strengthen my ankle.

I am going to try to go see a Dr. soon. If I could just get some feedback on exercises that would be great. Thanks to all who have replied.
If you can't get in to see a doctor now, then you really should try to get in to see a physical therapist, the sooner the better - bring your most recent x-rays.

From what I understand (and I am not a medical professional) the majority of healing from this type of injury will take place within the first year. So it's important to do the right exercises for your situation.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,097 times
Quote:
Hey there! I'm new to the forums and seeking advice.

Anyways, in October of 2011 I fractured my right ankle. Doctors said it was a Medial Malleolus Fracture. I had 2 screws put in and it's now been 6 months since then. I'm walking fine, running a little, and I'm working on getting my ankle stronger.

The question is, how possible would it be for me to start training mma again and without having to worry about something happening to my ankle again?

Hello Kev.

I am new as well, but i come bearing good news.

The good news is that you totally can still workout with an ankle injury. I am a physio and I come across this daily. I mostly train basketball and football players, and they have insane ankle injuries.

First off, get a hold of a mcdavid ankle brace, it offers support and structure while working out.

Second, get some ice, and stick it on your ankle after you work out, because it will hurt.

Or.

Get a compression band, some have cooling affects, and are very affective. Get one here, they supply for me, very good product. King Brand Ankle Injury Treatment

So. Ice, ankle brace, or a compression band. They will all help,

Good luck,

Cheers.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
I have had an ankle reconstruction, but it was ligamentous versus bone like yours. I did my physical therapy exercises diligently and continue to do them. In the immediate time after the injury, I did as many things as I could that were low-risk for reinjury, such as bicycle riding, first on platform pedals and then progressing to clipless, the Stairmaster at the gym for more weightbearing but without such risk of mis-stepping, and I also rowed a lot on the Concept II or outdoors in my kayak when I needed ankle rest/rest from weight-bearing. It is a decade after surgery now and, although it is achy, I do more training and even run more than I ever have. It was all a matter of building up slowly and gradually for me and listening to my body. Hope that helps and lots of luck to you!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:

Back in 2004, I broke my ankle and had to have a metal plate and pins put in...I know what you're going through in that regard.

I don't do MMA, (obviously ), but you should have been given exercises to work on when you got that cast off. Did you do those? Did you discuss with them at the time that you were in Martial Arts? (I'm assuming MMA means "mixed martial arts"?)

It's been a year and most would think that you should be fully recovered by now and if you were just a runner or something like that, you more than likely would be. However, because you are in MMA, the recovery could take longer.

One thing to keep in mind: You can NOT rush the rehab to a broken ankle especially one with pins, (or screws). Others are wise to say go talk to a doctor. In fact, because you are in MMA, I would advise you speak to many doctors to get several opinions.

It took me a year and a half before I could run like a normal human being again...and I am not involved with anything as strenuous on body parts as MMA. Do not mess around with this. The only one who should be advising you on what exercises to do is a doctor, no one here on a forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness