Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM

398 posts, read 545,551 times

Advertisements

I can go back quite a few decades and recall when Martial Arts classes were THE thing for kids AND adults. TKD and Karate were sound After-School options and adults could be seen packing-up their uniform or workout clothes and headed for the local Martial Art class to burn-off some pounds and maybe a bad day at work.

I remember TKD classes and school just about everywhere. Not sure whats happened. Here in the Biloxi, Miss. area there does not seem to ber much at all. I've through the phone book and on line and either there is no answer or the classes have switched to something like "Jazzercize" or "TAEBO"? Anyone else notice this?

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i actually think that those phony "martial arts" are being replaced by acutal martial arts and the classes are probably much more rigorous.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM

398 posts, read 545,551 times
Thanks... I know that a lot of the "watered-down" Martial Arts schools and classes got a rude sort of awakening when things like NHB and MMA came along. I think you are right, though. Training like that would probably attract a very young, athletic and aggressive sort and probably would not be for everyone. I don't think the "Mom-s" of the country would mind little Johnny (or their dad) going and dressing-up and doing something "artsy" but going for a grueling workout three times a week, say, might be pretty demanding. Not everyone's cuppa.

FWIW.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
A lot of the McDojos was on the decline back in my school days and they really took a hit once MMA hit the scene. I also think schools started drifting way from Martial Arts du to Liability concerns. Now one thing that really seemed to hold some steam was boxing. I studied TWD but most of my friends was big into boxing.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
There is a huge club in our area, that operates through many park districts and it is quite rigorous. Martial arts of all types are very popular in the Chicago metro area.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
I actually think is some areas it is the opposite. My university gym just started offering a basic Krav Maga class, and the Judo and Akido clubs are doing quite well. We have several Krav Maga studio locally, a couple Capoeira groups, several groups geared toward MMA, and a lot of "mcDojos"

I do think for kids it seems to be less of a "thing" than it was when I was young. I wonder is some of that is that little jimmy's mom is ok with him being like the Karate kid, but the idea of little Jimmy turning into Forrest Griffin or Bas Rutten is way too scary...

NoCapo

Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Unfortunately, martial arts classes are out of my budget range for the time being. It just doesn't make sense when I'm paying the rent alone.

I'm guessing a lot of people are also feeling the pinch.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Like others have mentioned, MMA is the thing right now (and for good reason) so a lot of the McDojo's have slid off the grid. Now, here in NYC there's plenty of TKD and Karate schools though, and its going pretty strong. I think mainly because they incorporate MMA in their gyms.

Besides your "traditional" martial arts, the newer martial arts are sprawling and are the "in". Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Keysi Fighting Method, Muay Thai (not a new martial art but it is for us Americans) are flourishing over here in the east coast, especially in the big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness