Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Zippered pockets are all I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Technology makes it safer for people to go out and do more of these kinds of things.
(Jogging, cycling, etc)

Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If your patient is in a hospital, then he's already where he needs to be. He's surrounded by doctors. One of them, I'm sure, will have the qualifications to maintain him until you check in. Just like patients worldwide managed, before cell phones were invented.
Maybe one day you will have a doctor with the same beliefs you have.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
I don't own a cell phone.
So basically you have no input of any use to anyone on this thread given that the whole conversation is started on a question about how to hold something that you do not possess, correct?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Saying you shouldn't carry a cell phone because people got along without them before is like saying you shouldn't wear a bulletproof vest because back in the day, they didn't have those and people still didn't die sometimes.

And you're still completely wrong about doctors being on call, sorry LOL. Let's just hope you're never in a situation where you're on the table and your surgeon decides his sleep or jog is more important than your case because there's another doctor at the hospital who can take care of you.

By the way, if you're in an emergency situation late at night having a stroke, it's not all that uncommon for an RN/physician assistant to need to call the on-call doctor for emergencies. For liability reasons, there is a lot beyond their scope of control. Or a gunshot wound. Or any sort of traumatic injury.

But I digress.

OP, carry on with that cell phone!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
I know folks that use Spibelts. They are sleek and stretchy to handle any type of phone.

SPIbelt - Home - Small Personal Item Belt

I typically don't run with a phone, but in cases i do, i use the pouch on my Nathans Hand Held Water Bottle

Handhelds | Nathan Sports

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe one day you will have a doctor with the same beliefs you have.
I did, all the way up until cell phones were invented.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
So basically you have no input of any use to anyone on this thread given that the whole conversation is started on a question about how to hold something that you do not possess, correct?
Duct tape. There's my input that's of use to anyone who wants to jog while in possession of a cell phone.

Or - clothing that comes with zippered pockets.

Or - learn how to sew, and sew a zippered pocket into whatever clothing you jog in that doesn't have zippered pockets.

Or - get a Life Alert and wear it on a chain around your neck, and skip the cell phone.

Or - get a Blue Tooth wireless receiver that hooks to the ear and stay in range of the stationary phone.

Or - jog in place inside where you don't have to worry about where you keep your cell phone.

Or - put it in the same place where you keep your bottled water when you jog. You have to keep -that- secure so it doesn't fall to the ground, right? A harness or whatever.

Or - buy a jogging bra with a built-in cell pocket (they exist).

Or - buy a pair of jogging pants with a built-in cell pocket (they exist).

See, I don't need to have a cell phone to know about all these things. I'm just surprised that the people who DO have them, haven't mentioned some of these things.

My personal recommendation, however, is to get rid of the cell phone entirely. And then you will never have to worry about where you keep it.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
I did, all the way up until cell phones were invented.
No you didn't - because even before the cell phone there were pagers and times when the doctors were expected to be available .... the cell phone just allows them to be a bit more mobile

the honest reality, is that a doctor who is not available is frequently not going to be employed .... same for many other professions

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Yes, and pagers had clips on the backs of them. Most doctors didn't jog either, and didn't have to worry about where they'd keep them. They usually kept them in their pockets. They were beepers - they just made a beep, and the doctor would go to the nearest telephone (usually a pay phone) and dial (not punch, but dial - because back then, the numbers were on an actual dial) the service, and then the service would deliver the message.

It's irrelevent though, because it has nothing to do with cell phones, or emergencies. Furthermore - it's a stupid arguement, because if a doctor is on a 5-mile run, and is 4 miles into it, and gets an emergency call, he's not exactly in a position to get to the hospital in a hurry, is he? I mean, unless the hospital is within a couple of blocks of where he happens to be at the moment. Otherwise, he'll have to run 4 miles home, take a shower, change his clothes, catch his breath, and get to the hospital in time to prevent that emergency from becoming an autopsy.

If a doctor is on call, it's assume he will be *available* to attend to emergencies. He can't do that if he's 5 miles away from a change of clothes and the car keys. Or his money and a taxi.

It's a ridiculous, stupid arguement. And I -have- offered some suggestions. Perhaps you might care to comment on those, instead of nitpicking my opinion into a derailment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness