Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

[quote=AnonChick;27201143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you fall and sprain your ankle, I'm sure someone will be along sooner or later to help you out. And in fact, there'll be a stranger running toward you a lot sooner than it'll take for you to call someone at home, have them find a babysitter or arrange the kids into the minivan, drive around looking for you, find you, get out of the minivan, and approach you. In fact, by the time someone from home gets to you, it's entirely possible that a stranger who happens to be a nurse will already have treated the sprain.
There are places in the world where it's highly unlikely anyone will come along.

19-Year-Old Vt. Hiker Found Dead | WPTZ Home - WPTZ Home

That kid froze to death because he couldn't get to help. And life alert doesn't work everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
I don't own a cell phone. I used to live in the city, and I used to walk to the Store24 in the middle of the night, alone, to get munchies for the dorm-mates during mid-term week. I didn't have a cell phone then, either; they weren't invented yet. I also had to walk to work, when I was a concession clerk for the Rocky Horror Picture Show weekly Friday night showing at the movie theatre five blocks away, when I lived in the same dorm, during college. And walk home, after the movie was over. Not once, in the entirety of my college years living in a city and walking around alone at night, did I have, or miss, a cell phone. Oddly enough, most people managed to get along just fine without them too. I didn't even have a beeper back when those were popular. I found them intrusive. I find cell phones intrusive. I wish they were never invented, and I really wish they'd return pay phone booths.

If your patient is in a hospital, then he's already where he needs to be. He's surrounded by doctors. One of them, I'm sure, will have the qualifications to maintain him until you check in. Just like patients worldwide managed, before cell phones were invented.
Quote:
Duct tape. There's my input that's of use to anyone who wants to jog while in possession of a cell phone.

Or - clothing that comes with zippered pockets.

Or - learn how to sew, and sew a zippered pocket into whatever clothing you jog in that doesn't have zippered pockets.

Or - get a Life Alert and wear it on a chain around your neck, and skip the cell phone.

Or - get a Blue Tooth wireless receiver that hooks to the ear and stay in range of the stationary phone.

Or - jog in place inside where you don't have to worry about where you keep your cell phone.

Or - put it in the same place where you keep your bottled water when you jog. You have to keep -that- secure so it doesn't fall to the ground, right? A harness or whatever.

Or - buy a jogging bra with a built-in cell pocket (they exist).

Or - buy a pair of jogging pants with a built-in cell pocket (they exist).

See, I don't need to have a cell phone to know about all these things. I'm just surprised that the people who DO have them, haven't mentioned some of these things.

My personal recommendation, however, is to get rid of the cell phone entirely. And then you will never have to worry about where you keep it.
"jog in place" Seriously?

Quote:
Just an FYI: your house isn't going to burn down any slower just because someone is able to contact you to tell you that your house is burning down. I'm sure the planet will continue to spin just fine, without your cell phone. In fact, evolution itself occurred without cell phones.

Your patient who you performed heart surgery on? He's in the hospital, and there are other doctors there. If his life is THAT dependent on you being available 24/7, and he can't survive without you, personally, then don't go for a run, and just move a cot into his room.

You CAN leave the house once you get back home from your run, and grab that quart of milk.

Your son's scraped knee will continue to be scraped, so that you can kiss it all better, even if you don't know it's scraped until you get to him.

If you fall and sprain your ankle, I'm sure someone will be along sooner or later to help you out. And in fact, there'll be a stranger running toward you a lot sooner than it'll take for you to call someone at home, have them find a babysitter or arrange the kids into the minivan, drive around looking for you, find you, get out of the minivan, and approach you. In fact, by the time someone from home gets to you, it's entirely possible that a stranger who happens to be a nurse will already have treated the sprain.

If you just need to be able to get 911, get a LifeAlert and tape it to your chest while you run.
Quote:
Yes, and pagers had clips on the backs of them. Most doctors didn't jog either, and didn't have to worry about where they'd keep them. They usually kept them in their pockets. They were beepers - they just made a beep, and the doctor would go to the nearest telephone (usually a pay phone) and dial (not punch, but dial - because back then, the numbers were on an actual dial) the service, and then the service would deliver the message.

It's irrelevent though, because it has nothing to do with cell phones, or emergencies. Furthermore - it's a stupid arguement, because if a doctor is on a 5-mile run, and is 4 miles into it, and gets an emergency call, he's not exactly in a position to get to the hospital in a hurry, is he? I mean, unless the hospital is within a couple of blocks of where he happens to be at the moment. Otherwise, he'll have to run 4 miles home, take a shower, change his clothes, catch his breath, and get to the hospital in time to prevent that emergency from becoming an autopsy.

If a doctor is on call, it's assume he will be *available* to attend to emergencies. He can't do that if he's 5 miles away from a change of clothes and the car keys. Or his money and a taxi.

It's a ridiculous, stupid arguement. And I -have- offered some suggestions. Perhaps you might care to comment on those, instead of nitpicking my opinion into a derailment.
"Most doctors didn't jog either," This is based on your observations or a survey? Do you also know there underwear preferences?

Wow! Is there a C-D record for most ridiculous, stupid comments in one thread? You know nothing about how the medical profession functions. And you are obviously not a runner. Physicians are constantly being contacted to clarify orders or to ask about adjusting medications. In many cases, a physician who is running at the time (yes, there are many physicians who run), can continue running and give verbal orders to the nurse. Cell phones improve patient care by allowing the physician to be responsive to changing patient conditions. This is not my opinion, it is a fact.

Why do you insist on giving numerous opinions about topics where you have nothing to contribute?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Wow! Is there a C-D record for most ridiculous, stupid comments in one thread? You know nothing about how the medical profession functions. And you are obviously not a runner. Physicians are constantly being contacted to clarify orders or to ask about adjusting medications. In many cases, a physician who is running at the time (yes, there are many physicians who run), can continue running and give verbal orders to the nurse. Cell phones improve patient care by allowing the physician to be responsive to changing patient conditions. This is not my opinion, it is a fact.
I totally agree with this. My husband and I could have benefited greatly by having doctors who were readily available while we were in the hospital (at separate times for seperate reasons). We both suffered miserably throughout the night waiting for the doctor to change the orders in the morning. I remember a nurse and I watching my husband rolling around the floor in pain, naked, and my telling the nurse that something was seriously wrong because he was a very modest man who had a high tollerance for pain. Oh, yeah, something was wrong, but he wasn't taken back into surgery until the next morning. Poor guy. I felt bad for him. My incident was an alergic reaction to medication, and the new medication prescribed by the resident on duty contained the same ingredient that caused my first allergic reaction!. So I had to go the ENTIRE night without any pain medication until my doctor was available to change the orders in the morning. The nurse stayed with me all night, trying to help me endure the pain. My husband and I would not have needlessly endured nights of torture if doctors were readily available. Granted, our situations were the result of a doctor who refused to come in for my husband and a nurse who was afraid to go over a resident's head, but they are examples of the pain that patients can endure without their doctors being readily available.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree with this. My husband and I could have benefited greatly by having doctors who were readily available while we were in the hospital (at separate times for seperate reasons). We both suffered miserably throughout the night waiting for the doctor to change the orders in the morning. I remember a nurse and I watching my husband rolling around the floor in pain, naked, and my telling the nurse that something was seriously wrong because he was a very modest man who had a high tollerance for pain. Oh, yeah, something was wrong, but he wasn't taken back into surgery until the next morning. Poor guy. I felt bad for him. My incident was an alergic reaction to medication, and the new medication prescribed by the resident on duty contained the same ingredient that caused my first allergic reaction!. So I had to go the ENTIRE night without any pain medication until my doctor was available to change the orders in the morning. The nurse stayed with me all night, trying to help me endure the pain. My husband and I would not have needlessly endured nights of torture if doctors were readily available. Granted, our situations were the result of a doctor who refused to come in for my husband and a nurse who was afraid to go over a resident's head, but they are examples of the pain that patients can endure without their doctors being readily available.
It is not unusual for a nurse to average 1-2 calls an hour to physicians during a routine shift. Most of the calls are not emergencies requiring the physician to come into the hospital. Adjusting pain meds if one of the most common reasons but there are many others.

It reminds me of the time back in the early 1970s when I took an elbow to the mouth while playing basketball. My local hospital did not have ER physicians. If you went to the ER, they called your family doctor to come in. It was a weekend and they could not locate my family doctor. He didn't have a pager and all the hospital knew was he was driving between two locations. I sat bleeding in the ER for 4 hours until he finally arrived and stitched my lip. I still have a scar to remind me of that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness