Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old woman. I strength train twice a week and run about 3 miles twice a week. In times of stress I run 3 miles every day for 5 days straight. I'm 5'4" and a size 4.

My stomach is pretty much flat and I feel comfortable enough with my body to eat a giant sub in a bikini at the beach but my mother keeps pointing out a problem area I have.

She claims because I wore low-rise jeans and thongs as a teenager, my body is deformed and it looks like I have love handles. Since my body was still forming and developing and was constricted by tight denim and thongs. She tells me I need to step up my work out routine (while she is probably obese and never works out).

I have noticed these love handles too when I wear form fitting dresses and I hate them because my stomach is flat and I just don't understand why I have them. If I do anymore cardio than I am now I will become "skinny" and have to replace my clothing, bras, etc. I just don't want to be a size 2, I like my curves!

Could wearing low-rise jeans/thongs while my body was still developing have made my waist deformed?

or perhaps this is just how my body is shaped naturally?

Will oblique exercises help or just "bulk up" the problem area?

How can I get rid of my love handles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
What are you doing to work your abdominal muscles? You can be super skinny and not have a strong core.

Clothing doesn't permanently deform soft tissue. Permanent deformities are to bones, like Japanese women's feet are made small by binding them. That's the bones that were deformed, not the tissue. The same goes for my being a competitive swimmer as a child. I have super broad shoulders as a result of it. That's the bones!

You must be still wearing tight pants. Tight is the problem. Low rise jeans don't cause muffin top if they aren't tight.

You say you don't want to be a size 2, that you want to keep your curves. It's very possible that you are slightly overweight and that you carry your weight in your mid section. It's not a healthy place to carry weight.

What's your height and weight? And what size do you wear? Real size, not the size you squeeze into.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Here, this will help you: Get Rid Of Love Handles - What Causes Them And How To Eliminate Them

Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Whats your body fat %?

You can be small and still be high fat.

Don't say size 4. Measurements.
Its how you check your body fat anyway.

Being lean is a combo of the right diet and exercise.

You could even be eating technically right but if you had a food allergy it will add water weight like that too.

First step I would take would be a review of my body fat percentage.

If you wear something too tight it will compress the water out of it. Its why compression stockings work for edema. If you stop wearing things so tightly and engage in regular massages or DIY dry skin brushing at home this can help correct that. Caffeine wraps over the bloated area can give a small cosmetic improvement that is temporary.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
You may just have full hips, and are wearing things that don't flatter that. You wouldn't have deformed soft tissue by what you wore as a teen.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

I think that's just where your body type carries its excess fat.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You may just have full hips..
Love handles aren't in the hip area.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM

468 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think that's just where your body type carries its excess fat.
This. OP, what is your body type? Pear-shaped or similar? Then you probably are more prone to carrying some weight there. You can try specific stretching routines combined with high intensity interval stuff & you can see some results, but it'll be SLOW, & you won't end up with a totally different body shape if your bone structure makes you carry weight there.

Low rise jeans, thongs etc won't give you love handles. I know many women have similar problems..seemingly slim & fit, but certain problem areas which they attempt to solve by losing weight, but the problem persists.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,285 times
It was caused by eating too much and not exercising enough.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
It was caused by eating too much and not exercising enough.

Or losing weight really fast by not eating enough/right and exercising too much.

The aftermath of crash diets = skinny fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness