Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to tell you, but weightlifting has nothing to do with stamina.

Conditioning: Endurance and stamina
Weightlifting: Strength

Everyone needs strength, not just NFL players; ESPECIALLY if you're a man. If you're a man... that requires you to have strength. Women, need strength? Yes. Carrying babies, being independent.. not having some man pick up weights for you at the gym and ****ting on you? Every human being needs strength... and that doens't come from lifting 5-10lb dumb bells. It doesn't come from deadlifting 3x your body weight... but your post ( Warden )... is setting back man 10050923 years.

Surprise, weightlifting increases bone density and soft tissue strength/density. Light weights won't do that. "Cardio" won't do it. In fact, runners receive more injuries than people that weight lift.

When people lift weights wrong yes it leads to back injuries. But, when people don't strength train at all.. where will the muscle come to support the bone structure? As I said.. weightlifting increases bone density. Women absolutely need to weight train, albeit not heavy.. but not light.

Go ahead and instead of lifting the office couch, sit on it for the rest of your being and let everyone else transcend the human condition and what most lemmings (you) feel is right and normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm not a trainer--I'm not in "great" shape. But I pushed weights for strength for years (despite my bulky body--think Russian weightlifters of the sixties). Now I'm five weeks out of a serious back surgery. My back surgeon says lifting heavy weights (at least for a male) is frequently a pathway to future spinal difficulties. He advised me just the opposite of your proposal---much lighter weights with more reps and far more cardio.

Having repeated what he told me, he did not say that it ALWAYS leads to back problems. It simply increases the chances of suffering back problems in the future.

There are exceptions. If you have a job that NEEDS strength (an NFL player), then it is practically a pre-requisite for success. But most of us have jobs that don't require strength. The biggest assets for "desk jockeys" are good heart health (cardio), flexibility (to counter stiffness from sitting), and stamina (for those occasions where we find ourselves physically taxed for longer periods of time (moving from one office building to another and being part of the work crew--my last job prior to retirement was for a small company where we did EVERYthing).

Lighter weights are best for building stamina. Cardio we all need for obvious reasons. Strength---well, I'm not going to be lifting the end of any office couch again for sure.
Next you're going to tell us that running causes knee problems. A high percentage of the population experience back problems at some time during their lives. A herniated disc can sometimes be caused by lifting in the wrong way or by a sudden heavy strain or increased pressure to the lower back. There are probably more back injuries from lifting something improperly around the house or at work than are caused by properly lifting weights.

Cardiovascular exercise like running, swimming or biking are best for building stamina. You need to do cardiovascular exercise for at least 20 minutes straight to get a cardiovascular effect. You can't get the same effect from lifting weights. Do low rep, high weight weightlifting to build strength. Do cardiovascular exercise for a healthy heart and lungs.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm not a trainer--I'm not in "great" shape. But I pushed weights for strength for years (despite my bulky body--think Russian weightlifters of the sixties). Now I'm five weeks out of a serious back surgery. My back surgeon says lifting heavy weights (at least for a male) is frequently a pathway to future spinal difficulties. He advised me just the opposite of your proposal---much lighter weights with more reps and far more cardio.

Having repeated what he told me, he did not say that it ALWAYS leads to back problems. It simply increases the chances of suffering back problems in the future.

There are exceptions. If you have a job that NEEDS strength (an NFL player), then it is practically a pre-requisite for success. But most of us have jobs that don't require strength. The biggest assets for "desk jockeys" are good heart health (cardio), flexibility (to counter stiffness from sitting), and stamina (for those occasions where we find ourselves physically taxed for longer periods of time (moving from one office building to another and being part of the work crew--my last job prior to retirement was for a small company where we did EVERYthing).

Lighter weights are best for building stamina. Cardio we all need for obvious reasons. Strength---well, I'm not going to be lifting the end of any office couch again for sure.
Not even close.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM

104 posts, read 420,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
beauty is in the eye of the beholder,,and like a good steak,,,I like a little marbling,

I agree with the guys that seem to know what they are talking about- dont worry about getting too thick or muscular
reps of 8-12 is a good target and keep increasing the weight

diet is very important- eat lean protein many times a day, keep the metabolism up,,,think of your body as a furnace...muscle burns fat

whats lean protein?
skinless bnls chicken breast, tuna fish, lean beef ,,like top round, eye round, and round tip steak,, top butt sirloin is good,,,and lean burger and ground turkey/chicken is also good

I bought a small but very powerful grinder off ebay for 100.00 (2800 watts)
I ground my own bnls chicken breast, when it was on sale, ground, pork cutlets, and the lean beef steaks when on sale..

anyways, congrats on losing what you have and having the determination to do what you've been...
also please keep this is mind,,,beauty, or attractiveness, is part of a whole package,,,how a woman carries herself, her sense of humor, character is also very important to go along with looks
Nice post - thank you

Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
So guys and gals should use the same type of routines and intensities? I mean allowing for weight moved differences between individuals.

I thought women would be different. Less testosterone to work with.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-29-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The problem with very heavy weights is that they thicken the body and make women look more masculine. It's great for health, but not so attractive from my point of view.
Myth.

The first response was the best, increase your weights, also mix up your work out a bit, do different types of exercises if you haven't already.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
So guys and gals should use the same type of routines and intensities? I mean allowing for weight moved differences between individuals.

Training is exactly the same for men and women. Lower testosterone just means women don't build as much muscle mass

Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

Women can work out just as hard. Maybe not the the same amount of weight, but the same rep ranges, the same exercises.

Saying they need to take it easy less they damage their delicate feminine frames is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness