Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times

Advertisements

I love how I can't find a parking spot in the gym, and by the time I finish there is basically no one in the gym. Everyone there does like 2 or 3 machines and then leaves. There is like 70-100 people in there.. reminds me of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
A couple of years ago we had our usual flood of new years resolution members.

I'm a distance runner and like to do speed work on the treadmills.

One of the older middle aged women that was shown the club earlier decided to join.
I overheard her tell the gym membership rep that the doctor told her it was time to start walking.
So far so good she joined and started walking on a treadmill after being shown how to use it.
Of course she needed to start off r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y I understand that but the real issue that many of us had was when the same woman a few weeks later was doing her 1.0 to 1.5 mile per hour while knitting!!!!

We had to report her due to knitting needles being more than a little dangerous.

One of the front desk people immediately ran over and told her she couldn't do that while walking.

The woman became angry and walked off towards the locker room in a huff.

A couple of weeks later I was at the club and asked the front desk what happened to her since I hadn't seen her since the incident.

They told me she was really upset because she couldn't knit while on the treadmill.
The manager, instead of holding her to her non cancellation fee refunded the money so they could wash their hands of her.

You don't go to the gym to knit a sweater!! What the hell?!?!?!?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

One of the older middle aged women that was shown the club earlier decided to join.
I overheard her tell the gym membership rep that the doctor told her it was time to start walking.
So far so good she joined and started walking on a treadmill after being shown how to use it.
Of course she needed to start off r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y I understand that but the real issue that many of us had was when the same woman a few weeks later was doing her 1.0 to 1.5 mile per hour while knitting!!!!

We had to report her due to knitting needles being more than a little dangerous.

One of the front desk people immediately ran over and told her she couldn't do that while walking.

A couple of weeks later I was at the club and asked the front desk what happened to her since I hadn't seen her since the incident.

They told me she was really upset because she couldn't knit while on the treadmill.
The manager, instead of holding her to her non cancellation fee refunded the money so they could wash their hands of her.

Oh crap. Guess I should leave my knitting at home, huh? Thanks for the heads up .

Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Quote:

Great story! You can't even make that one up!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Pff that's nothing. Yesterday I brought my oven to the gym so I could bake a pie while doing squats. It's always so hard to get the squat rack next to the electrical outlet though . . .

Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Cant wait until March when these people leave, ugh stop grunting its retarded /rant
In our area, its not just people who make resolutions, its also people who need indoor activities during the winter months. Not all of them grunt and groan, at least not any more than a lot of the jocks.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:

I feel the same way about newspaper & magazine reading, & chit-chatting on the phone while doing cardio. WTH. You can see them struggling with the compulsion to return to the couch and potato chips because they want to knit and read while they workout. If a person comes to the gym and finds herself in a clueless state about what to do for a workout, try to find someone who can advise you. I invest in a trainer for this very reason. I would rather spend money to learn to workout the right way, than waste months of my time and emotional energy on "workouts" that get me NO results!

These same people look at the gym goers who go hard at their workouts like we're some kind of strange species.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I think people bring books, Ipads and whatnot (knitting?!) to the gym because it's kind of awkward to be on the treadmill walking/jogging/running for a half an hour or more without something to focus your attention on. Gym equipment is so monotonous, so boring (at least to me) that you almost need something besides the t.v. to look at - I can actually understand bringing a book along. Hey, if you can read while you're running on the treadmill more power to you.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
I've come to find out that there are more idiots in the gym than new years resolution "idiots"
"

Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM

101 posts, read 173,785 times
I went to my gym today (local Y) after not going for a couple of weeks due to training for a new job plus generally wanting to avoid the crowds. Now that my training is over and I'm on my normal work schedule (I work second shift/evenings for the most part), I decided to go, hoping that the resolutioners would be gone.

Well, I went and pretty much every elliptical, treadmill, bike and even the two stair climbers were taken. I couldn't even get a hanger for my coat and sweatshirt. Not to mention the girl I saw on the way out who was talking on her phone while using the treadmill and the girl on the Arc Trainer next to me who had a chit chat session as well.

Tomorrow is my favorite day of the week to go to Zumba and I am dreading it. When I went a couple weeks ago, the girl in front of me had no concept of personal space and was nearly stepping on me, not even apologizing.

I started working out in May so I don't see why everyone has to wait until January to do something about their weight/health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness