Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Join a gym at a country club. You don't have to deal with any of this crap. New people can't just show up on the 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAdams View Post
I think a new years resolution idiot is someone who has a feeling that lasts a few seconds or minutes that he can be in top shape and only lasts a week or so or a month or so doing it and goes back to bad habits while he knew all along he wouldn't follow up with what he promised himself he would.

thankyou!!!! geez why is that so hard to understand to the rest of these ppl

its not like i hate newbs, but cmon you know these types of people and they are really annoying.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
By that logic no gyms should exist because none of them have the clients. Every year, without fail, most of the people who start at the beginning don't stick it out. So if what you say is true, there must be very, very, VERY few gyms.

But clearly there aren't. Gyms have contracts most of the time. Whether or not you use it, you're still paying, or you can cancel and pay a hefty fee which depending on how late you cancel, is more expensive than letting the contract run out.

Besides, again, the problem isn't new people joining the gym. It's new people joining EN MASSE at one time. I mean, I like shopping for stuff, but around the holiday season, especially Black Friday, you couldn't pay me to go out. It's too crowded in the stores, the roads are like parking lots, people are rude.

That's how it is with new years resolutioners. I can encourage people to get in shape, but I'm not gonna pretend that the gym suddenly doubling in people in it overnight isn't a hassle. I'm not gonna pretend that it's fun to spend money on a gym membership I can't use effectively, because it's too damn crowded.

There should be limits on how many people a gym can sign up. I mean there can be times where every dumbbell, barbell, treadmill, machines, classes full, everything can have someone using it, and there are 15 people walking around literally with nothing to do because everything is taken.

If I wanted to do push ups and body weight squats and that's about it because the pull up bars are taken, I'd stay home and do that for free. If having a cap on the number of members who can join means I have to pay more, fine, but often times, for the first few months of the year, you're not getting what you pay for.

Another analogy is paying for a ticket to a theme part, and everything is broken.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
You know who I don't like at the gym?

The veterans. Those that have been there 6, 9, 12+ months. They know the staff. They slap hands with all the other 'vets' of the gym. They know where all the equipment is. Because of their psuedo-seniority, they believe they can disregard rules, push away newbies from certain equipment, and generally stomp around as if they own the place.

I also don't appreciate the wanna-be crossfitters doing kettlebell swings and kipping pull-ups as part of their 'metcon'--with their other supertrisetwhatever on the other end of the gym--inside the squat rack with band pegs. "Sorry, I'm using it bro.. I'm doing Cindy right now".

Yeah okay.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
There are no KB swings in "Cindy".

Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Haha, notice I said wanna-be crossfitter. Clearly he has no idea what Cindy is!

Just noticed the OP's username.. "the awesome" ... haha

Last edited by td333; 01-05-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
They always amuse me because they are struggling to do what should be easy exercises, and you know they will be gone in a month or two. I found it interesting in December having the whole fitness floor seemingly to myself and a few regulars.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I think it is similar to the feeling some regular parishioners get when they see their church packed at xmas-time as opposed to the empty pews throughout the rest of the year. Doesn't mean you hate the people for coming to the xmas service.
Only if they take my pew! Just kidding. My cousin calls them Cheesters (Christmas/Easters) - in a good natured way.

Back on topic - I'm always glad to see the gym full in January. Some of the people will stick it out - most will not but I'm glad for the ones that do.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Cant wait until March when these people leave, ugh stop grunting its retarded /rant
probably the reason they leave is because of people like you. Newsflash, you don't own the gym. If you can afford the membership then you can become a member. If you don't like new people joining your "temple" then open up your own gym.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Does all that logic make your head hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness