Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times

Advertisements

Why do idiots do this? Especially in my gym, where there is only one squat rack. That means ONE station in the entire gym where serious lifters like myself can do the king of all lifts. As opposed to curls, which require only a barbell and about a two-foot radius of personal space and therefore can be done ANYWHERE IN THE FRIGGING GYM! Yet instead of doing them somewhere else out of people's way, idiots choose to monopolize the squat rack with their curls and make lifters who want to use it for its intended purpose wait.

I got into it with some punk about this on Tuesday, and when a staff member showed up to see what the disagreement was about, he sided with the punk because, quote, "we don't have any posted rules about what exercises can and cannot be done here." Well you SHOULD, if you call yourself a gym! If someone had pulled that crap at the little power gym where I learned to lift when I was 16, the owner would have taken the barbell he was curling and drilled him right in the NUTS with it!

Seriously, anyone with an IQ above 30 should be able to comprehend the following logic: curls can be done literally anywhere in the gym. Squats can only be done in a squat rack, of which most gyms (unfortuntaely) only have one or two. Therefore the squat rack should always be left open for squats and curls should be done elsewhere. I have zero sympathy for those too dense to get this, and there is no punishment too severe for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I think you're right - most people with half a brain can probably figure out they can do curls with any barbell in the gym. But I don't think that most people with half a brain would automatically know what a squat rack is or that it's used only for squats. Sounds like you need to get it sorted out with the gym itself, see if they can post signs. Or you could always go back to the gym where you learned to lift when you were 16.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Pretty much. You can do curls anywhere, and I mean anywhere. Barbell squats, not so much.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I agree. I mentioned this the other day on this forum. A guy spent about 1.5 hours on the squat rack doing curls and presses. He would do a set of curls in the squate rack and then go over to the dumbells or preacher bench, and do a set there. I don't care what kind of workout you do, but don't tie up the squat rack for exercises that don't need to be done there. There is one reason they do this. Using the squat rack means you don't have to pick the barbell off the floor.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I don't really ever see this. I'm impressed if anybody is actually doing squats (the right way) at my gym. We've got two closed racks and two open ones though, so there is usually never any waiting for one.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
I agree, it's really annoying. How hard is it to pick up your barbell off the ground before your sets? Furthermore, I'm not sure why anyone would want to curl a straight bar. Not a good motion at all for the wrists.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
I think this thread should be merged with the "annoying things about gym" thread which essentially is the same topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...about-gym.html

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
My gym only has one squat rack. It is a large YMCA in a college town so there is tons of traffic. are a huge part of my routine so this can be a pain in the butt for me. Luckily, I'm on good terms with a few people that also are regulars that use the rack and we all are pretty cool about sharing/working out together.

I'll be honest, I will occasionally curl (or do other stuff) in the rack but if someone else asks to use the rack for squats or another compound movement that can't really be done elsewhere I gladly give up the rack. If I see someone hanging around I will ask them "do you need to squat?".

I could care less if someone curls in the squat rack so long as they give it up to someone wanting to actually do squats. I also have no problem asking someone tying up the rack with endless sets of curls if I can use the rack for squatting. I'm polite but direct. No one has ever given me a hard time about it. I guess I haven't run into any of the "curl bros" you guys have encountered.

Ultimately, I'm going to end up spending the cash to put together a home gym. Should be able to get a cage, bench, Oly bar and 400 Lbs of weights for a grand or so. My gym is just too crowded and there are too many rude people that don't re-rack, curl RIGHT in front of the dumb bell rack, don't wipe off equipment, etc.... Once I lift at home the only gym moron will be ME.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Why do idiots do this? Especially in my gym, where there is only one squat rack. That means ONE station in the entire gym where serious lifters like myself can do the king of all lifts. As opposed to curls, which require only a barbell and about a two-foot radius of personal space and therefore can be done ANYWHERE IN THE FRIGGING GYM! Yet instead of doing them somewhere else out of people's way, idiots choose to monopolize the squat rack with their curls and make lifters who want to use it for its intended purpose wait.

I got into it with some punk about this on Tuesday, and when a staff member showed up to see what the disagreement was about, he sided with the punk because, quote, "we don't have any posted rules about what exercises can and cannot be done here." Well you SHOULD, if you call yourself a gym! If someone had pulled that crap at the little power gym where I learned to lift when I was 16, the owner would have taken the barbell he was curling and drilled him right in the NUTS with it!

Seriously, anyone with an IQ above 30 should be able to comprehend the following logic: curls can be done literally anywhere in the gym. Squats can only be done in a squat rack, of which most gyms (unfortuntaely) only have one or two. Therefore the squat rack should always be left open for squats and curls should be done elsewhere. I have zero sympathy for those too dense to get this, and there is no punishment too severe for them.
I feel your pain, Pimpy. But don't block little dude's player action. He was probably doing that to get the chicks there to look at him.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
That is frustrating when some guy is hogging the piece you need to keep your pump going.
I used to use the squat rack with a bench as a incline press station like other guys did but not when the place was busy. My gym had 2 racks. Maybe next time don't flip out but let the guy know that curling a straight bar like that isn't the best for your wrists and there is a better way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness