Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times

Advertisements

10 ways you make yourself look older than you are - Yahoo!

"...overworking large muscles, such as the triceps, quads and biceps, can cause sagging in the long run"

“As connective tissues loosen with age, an overworked aging muscle produces an undesirable skin tone,”

"Focus on accessory muscles around the larger thigh and belly muscles, which can give you a more balanced look. For each group of muscles, use weights under three pounds each and do more reps"

-celebrity fitness instructor Tracy Anderson.

Ok...um...To those that have the time in or peers that have seen the years go by...

What are they talking about? This article was geared towards women not men but weights under 3lbs?

I know you go light when you do high reps but THAT light?

I understand everyone has a different personal lb number that suits their body state and goals but....
Really? I mean wouldn't that only be effective for beginners for maybe a couple months? Or does this fitness person have some crazy high rep max to her plan?

When they say an "overworked look"...are they talking about "Madonna arms" (bulged/stringy) ?
Is "saggy" referring to how Arnold deflated with age and not training as hard after his heart issues?

Doesn't that "Madonna arms" come from both being too lean and those connective tissue breaking down naturally with age?

How well does body builder type loose skin rebound compared to fatloss/weightloss?
Does it not get all flabby if your downsize slowly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
This theory is idiotic. There are plenty of dudes as well as chicks in their 50s and 60s in my gym who have been lifting heavy their whole adult lives, and they look way better than their counterparts of the same age who haven't.

Look at Stallone. 66 years old and still built like a Greek god. You think he got that way from NOT lifting heavy? Give me a break.

Schwarzenneger is another good example. He got "saggy" for a little while, but that was because he built up an absurdly large physique with heavy steroid use, then got lax on the working out when he was governor. Some of the huge amount of muscle he had atrophied and was replaced by fat. Now that he's back in the gym, the sagging is gone and he is in tremendous shape for his age. I'm guessing he didn't get his physique back by lifting 3-pound weights.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
yahoo will post up anything any idiot says. some of the articles are good but most of them are a bunch of crap.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
That is bogus.
In 30 minutes, my 60 year-old trainer is going to show up at my front door.
With his taut, bulging, firm muscles.
His wife looks very similar, but with slimmer, toned look.

They'd laugh their butts off at the idea that lifting heavy would make them saggy.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yahoo will post up anything any idiot says. some of the articles are good but most of them are a bunch of crap.

It was from womens day but I don't know much about the PT so I just wondered how much anyone knew about her too.

I have not seen Arnold shirtless lately. But I do remember seeing improvement from his worst state.
Haha haa....thinking of him lifting 2 pounds weights is cute. HAHAHA!

I don't think women want to get that big and this is an article more directed at women.

So what I wonder if this overworking explains madonnas arms combined with being too lean.

Plotting for the future and all. Don't want madonna arms.

I just don't get the saggy thing either unless they are talking about natural hormone decline not being able to support the same shape? It just seems like an incomplete explanation of what can happen and I don't like the advice of 2lb weights only.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Lifting weights is good for your muscles and your bones. The only way I see how lifting too much is if you get hurt doing it then give it up and get flabby.
I would be more worried about high reps with light weigths and the repetitive motion wearing out your joints.
Be active be healthy.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I have seen people who lift too much and they have those bulging (varicose?) veins in their shoulders and arms. That doesn't look very good.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
It was from womens day but I don't know much about the PT so I just wondered how much anyone knew about her too.

I have not seen Arnold shirtless lately. But I do remember seeing improvement from his worst state.
Haha haa....thinking of him lifting 2 pounds weights is cute. HAHAHA!

I don't think women want to get that big and this is an article more directed at women.

So what I wonder if this overworking explains madonnas arms combined with being too lean.

Plotting for the future and all. Don't want madonna arms.

I just don't get the saggy thing either unless they are talking about natural hormone decline not being able to support the same shape? It just seems like an incomplete explanation of what can happen and I don't like the advice of 2lb weights only.
You honestly think you won't get saggy if you don't work out hard?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
If it says it on Yahoo! it must be true.

Quote:
"...overworking large muscles, such as the triceps, quads and biceps, can cause sagging in the long run"

“As connective tissues loosen with age, an overworked aging muscle produces an undesirable skin tone,”

"Focus on accessory muscles around the larger thigh and belly muscles, which can give you a more balanced look. For each group of muscles, use weights under three pounds each and do more reps"

-celebrity fitness instructor Tracy Anderson.
None of this makes any sense. When are these large muscles going to sag? When you stop working out? When you're dead?

Why would loose connective tissue make overworked muscle produce an undesireable skin tone? I can tell you that menopause produces an undesireable skin tone, but I can't imagine how "loose connective tissue" would do this.

Under three-pound weights? Really? You might as well sit on the couch and watch TV.

I don't know what this woman is selling, but it's not anything remotely having to do with fitness.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
Look at Stallone. 66 years old and still built like a Greek god. You think he got that way from NOT lifting heavy? Give me a break.
Greek God? ROFTL! He looks like what he always has been: someone who has abused steroids his entire adult life. Nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness