Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times

Advertisements

Just curious as its different for everyone...

What weight did you start on whenever you began lifting?
What were your goals?
How much has it changed since then?
How much have you changed since then?(size,strength,fitness level)

Feel free to just post about short term recent goals or from the beginning of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
I started lifting as a broken down ex-endurance athlete. So had strong legs, toothpick arms and minor aches and pains from being all out of balance. So started doing a 8 week hypertrophy and strength focus every winter. My goals were a pretty standard being able to bench press my bodyweight, squat 1.5 times my bodyweight, deadlift 2 times bodyweight and overhead press .75 times bodyweight. Plus get my pullups up from more than struggling to do only one at a time.

Last couple of winters I have been able to nail the benchpress goal of 185 lbs. With my t-rex arms I used to struggle to put up 95 lbs when I started a few years back. I can easily hit 275 lbs with the squat but have eased back. My body responds too well to squats and I add too much mass to my legs and other areas. Could not fit into any pants. So now do front squats to keep doing the movement but it limits how much I can lift.

Overhead press has gotten to 125 lbs, that is up from starting at 70 lbs. My deadlift still is the worst lift for me, I can only get up to 250 lbs. So may do a deadlift focused month in the weight room later this year to get that up. Last but not least have been able to get my pullups up to 10 in a row.

Keep my goals pretty straight forward in the weight room. My year long goals are to have the strength and endurance to spend long days hiking and peak bagging. So an 8 week strength focus during the winter works for me. Then will do 2 week spurts throughout the year to maintain.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
A bit over eight months now after the initial adaption stage. I started at age 47. I was a runner and never lifted since college in my early 20s. Legs were always strong from years of elliptical use so I will not mention the gains.

I do maintain a log. These are the weights I use in workouts if using a standard 3sets x 12/10/8 reps each. Here are a few..

Incline bench press: 110 lbs to 190lbs

Seated preacher curl: 60lbs to 90lbs

Seated cable row: 110lbs to 150lbs

Seated pec dec(flys): 110lbs to 160lbs

Seated lat pull down(wide grip): 110lbs to 140lbs

Seated overhead press: 65lbs to 112lbs

Note all of the before/after are on machines of some sort. The values would be much less in transferable plate weight assemblies.

Upper body I have noticeable lats(V-shape back), biceps, pecs(chest), forearms.

My work commute changed and the elliptical machines were all taken at the gym when I would arrive. Do not like treadmills or stairmasters. I started weight training because the area was available. Cardio machines are available once the rush hour period at the gym is finished so I still do a bit of cardio after the weights.

My goals were the same as always. Be healthy. I still feel the same. I wonder what the limits are. I found my cardio limits a long time ago but still try to do a bit better on every outing. Same with this aspect of health.

A good balance between both cardio and muscle is ideal with cardio being paramount in my opinion. But the feeling post-weight workout is intense. Far superior to a post-HIIT cardio one. Well, in my opinion.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-17-2013 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I remember when 25lb dumbell's were sort of hard to curl but 20's were my easy. Now I am doing 35 as a standard while 30's are my easy.

I used to get a workout by benching 135lb. Now 135 is easy and I only do it when I am trying to do more reps. I usually do about 185lb in a standard workout.

Those are the two that I specifically remember.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Just curious as its different for everyone...

What weight did you start on whenever you began lifting?
What were your goals?
How much has it changed since then?
How much have you changed since then?(size,strength,fitness level)

Feel free to just post about short term recent goals or from the beginning of time!
This is a completely irrelevant question. What difference does it make what weight you started on when you began lifting or what you are lifting now? What are you going to do with this information? It has nothing to do with you. Everyone is different so everyone will have different starting points. I think this is what scares people away from lifting. The important thing is to lift the amount of weight that you can handle with good form for the number of reps and sets you have decided to do. When people start noticing how much weight other people are using, they start increasing their weight and use bad form. Curls is probably the worst exercise for this. I see guys swaying and jerking their entire body to curl a dumbbell that is way too heavy.This is now people get hurt lifting weights.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This is a completely irrelevant question. What difference does it make what weight you started on when you began lifting or what you are lifting now? What are you going to do with this information? It has nothing to do with you. Everyone is different so everyone will have different starting points. I think this is what scares people away from lifting. The important thing is to lift the amount of weight that you can handle with good form for the number of reps and sets you have decided to do. When people start noticing how much weight other people are using, they start increasing their weight and use bad form. Curls is probably the worst exercise for this. I see guys swaying and jerking their entire body to curl a dumbbell that is way too heavy.This is now people get hurt lifting weights.
Its not about comparing one person to another, it is about comparing your previous starting weight to your current weight. I agree with your full post but you are misinterpreting the OP's thread. This thread is about YOUR improvement. Its not being used to compare one persons weight to another. I never smirk at whatever weight my neighbor is lifting but it does feel good to know that my weight has increased. Its a way of measuring your progress.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I do not remember, it was 20 years ago I started lifting. Would be further ahead if not for multiple deployments while in the military, and my grand two year vacation after.

Goal; to be as strong as possible while maintaining under 15% BF (idealy under 12%); keep my mile and half under ten minutes, currently at the nine minute mark.

Ratio to body weight is more of an indicator than actual weight lifted. The poster above stated they did a 250lbs DL; weak if the poster weighs 250lbs, great if the poster weighs 120lbs.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Started pumping real iron summer after 10th grade. Had been "working out" with push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups since I was about 13.

After about two weeks using very light weights to get my muscles used to the movements, I put "real weight" on the bench for the first time. I was able to hit 135lbs for 6 reps.

Hit it hard all summer and right around the time school started, I got 225 for the first time. I was a natural and now can't imagine not having working out as a part of my daily routine.

Current lifts (30 years old, 200lbs, 5'10):

Bench: 350
Squat: 505
Deadlift: 515

Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 34,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I started lifting as a broken down ex-endurance athlete. So had strong legs, toothpick arms and minor aches and pains from being all out of balance. So started doing a 8 week hypertrophy and strength focus every winter. My goals were a pretty standard being able to bench press my bodyweight, squat 1.5 times my bodyweight, deadlift 2 times bodyweight and overhead press .75 times bodyweight. Plus get my pullups up from more than struggling to do only one at a time.

Last couple of winters I have been able to nail the benchpress goal of 185 lbs. With my t-rex arms I used to struggle to put up 95 lbs when I started a few years back. I can easily hit 275 lbs with the squat but have eased back. My body responds too well to squats and I add too much mass to my legs and other areas. Could not fit into any pants. So now do front squats to keep doing the movement but it limits how much I can lift.

Overhead press has gotten to 125 lbs, that is up from starting at 70 lbs. My deadlift still is the worst lift for me, I can only get up to 250 lbs. So may do a deadlift focused month in the weight room later this year to get that up. Last but not least have been able to get my pullups up to 10 in a row.

Keep my goals pretty straight forward in the weight room. My year long goals are to have the strength and endurance to spend long days hiking and peak bagging. So an 8 week strength focus during the winter works for me. Then will do 2 week spurts throughout the year to maintain.
Your deadlift sucks either because of grip strength or not going low enough in squats, or both.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM

165 posts, read 405,827 times
Was at the gym off / on since my 20's. Now in my 40's. Got serious about lifting about 3-4 years ago. When I started back up, I was barely benching 185. Squat was around 225 at most. I only deadlift light due to back injuries. Currently, bench 315x2. Squat 450x1 and most I did on deadlift was 385x1. I don't like to go heavy on DL, though.

Currently 210 lbs at 5'10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness