Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:05 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,258,750 times

Advertisements

Well, it is true for some women--that they can *bulk* without necessarily trying to, but not in the way that men think. I think women and men have a different idea of what bulking looks like. For instance the women that I know that complained of lifting heavy=bigger, were women who despite eating less, well, doing cardio, etc, their legs or arms still got bigger than what they wanted. Or their pants might have fit tighter in the leg area, etc. Whereas when they aren't lifting heavy, they notice that overall--though they are not as toned, or look as fit, they also do not seem to accumulate as much mass in the areas they don't want to get mass in(butt, legs, arms, etc). Remember, every person is different, and there are different components to what contribute to why some people can get mass easier than others, or without having to work as hard, or why some women are naturally lean without working out a day in their life, whereas other women who may work-out regularly will never look as fit.

Personally I'm a meso-endo. I tend to notice that lifting does CHANGE my body. Yes I get toned, but inevitably my legs and butt also tend to really accumulate mass. Sometimes this results in pants fitting tightly, shirts fitting around my arms/shoulders tightly, etc. My mom was a personal trainer, and had trained me when I was younger and had noticed it to, and had commented that I did seem to have a tendency to get *big* quite fast and that I would need to eat VERY clean, drink lots of water, and do plenty of cardio to offset it.

That being said, I did lift heavy last year. I was able to deadlift up to 100 pounds, squat 120, etc. I was a beast. But I also noticed that my butt and legs did get quite big. Not necessarily in a bad way--like I said I was toned and I looked in shape, but just bigger than what I would have liked. We all have a different idea of what looks good to us. A lot of men and people are often telling me that I'm delusional, that I can't bulk, I'm a woman, etc. But I KNOW my body, and I know after years of trying different work-outs, how certain work-outs effect m. It's insulting when I'm told that I can lift heavy and not get *big*, when I've ALREADY done it, and have saw that I DID in fact get bigger.

Even still, I do lift nowadays, matter of fact I do more workouts that require, weights, or *fat-burning*(squats, lunges, bicep curls, etc), than I do cardio. But I do lift moderately and light (I won't do anymore than 20 pounds). I still work my muscles to fatigue by reps... But I don't lift heavy. I've noticed better results for myself working out this way--I still looked toned but I also look *slimmer* than I did when I was lifting very heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,192,748 times
Explain the definition of tone: "the presence of muscle in the absence of fat." Thus, having muscle is a necessary condition to have tone. And to build muscle, heavy lifting is a must. Many women are afraid they will get too big - as if that just happens. As a guy, who is fairly big (but nowhere near huge), it is extremely difficult to do, and that's with lots of natural testosterone. Unless a woman eats a very specific diet and follows a very specific routine (far beyond just "lifting heavy") she's not going to get "huge."

Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,545,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am physically too weak to do this. Respect them for such a high level of strength.

Shows that regardless of gender, lifting weights can be accomplished with appropriate training. Saw a lady squat with 230 lb today. Guys were stunned. I really could care less. She is an NCAA athlete after all. Says enough.
230? My wife did 500.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
230? My wife did 500.
Proof ?

Was she an Olympic weight lifter by any chance.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Proof ?

Was she an Olympic weight lifter by any chance.
Considering we used to lift together and that 500 really isn't that outrageous for a very fit 180-200 pounder, well, the only thing I can say is that I put the weights on the bar. I wanted to see where she maxed out. She routinely did multiple sets of 10x150, but I knew she could do much more for a max.

Division I college basketball player and shotputter in hs.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times
Quote:

Division I college basketball player
Which School. You are one lucky fellow .

Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Which School. You are one lucky fellow .
Well, I was, back then.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,949,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Working my way to dead lifting my body weight.

I find lifting heavy offers its own rewards, but it also is harder to guarantee I will maintain forever too.

I am pear shaped, so upper body work helps me look a little more balanced, but I don't need any additional width in my back, since I have a short torso. Then I look unbalanced.

I end up alternating body weight/kettle bells with heavy weights. We'll see how that works. I like squats and lunges in all directions. *helps your butt.

What would be good for someone who is top heavy? No bootay no hips?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,877,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I use the 5 and 8 pound "Barbie weights" so maybe I can address this for ya. I've mentioned it in previous threads but here it is again:

In 1983, I was in a car accident. I broke the femur, radius, ulna, clavical, and three ribs…[snip long story] But forgive me when I get my shackles up when you (or anyone else) criticizes anyone, male, female, old, young, healthy, infirm, for using lighter weights. I could probably carry your sorry ass on my back to the hospital when you're old and decrepid. So don't tell me how pathetic it is that I choose not to lift heavy.
Well, your reasons are kind of unique. They don't apply to everyone. In general, women and men should lift heavy.

I'm sorry to hear about your injuries.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,537,343 times
Quote:
Considering we used to lift together and that 500 really isn't that outrageous for a very fit 180-200 pounder, well, the only thing I can say is that I put the weights on the bar. I wanted to see where she maxed out. She routinely did multiple sets of 10x150, but I knew she could do much more for a max.

Division I college basketball player and shotputter in hs.
The world record squat for a woman in the 181-198 pound class is 520 pounds. Your wife should have gone for a new record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness