Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

OP-I'm in shape and I do 3.5 mph at 5% incline. I then bump it up to 10% incline and then finally 15% incline without holding on. You can do this but go at your own pace. Also, you might want to try a slow jog at say 4.5 mph at a 1% incline. Even if its for 30 seconds or a minute. Just keep doing walking, slow jog, slow jog until you feel you can step it up to a higher speed and a longer time. Basically doing sprints but at a much lower speed until you work up to it.

Good luck and good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was just reading the thread about people stating their views about people in the gym that probably won't last but a few months. It brought another idea to my mind.

I hope you all don't mind - I am overweight, and I am working on improving that. I like the treadmill and exercising, and I don't wear skimpy clothes, but I do like to wear a tank top while working out, even though it will show more skin, but its the kind of clothing that it feels right exercising in due to being cooler and less frumpy. Who wants to feel frumpy while working out? not me!

Also, I do not like to jog on the treadmill, and so I walk at a pace that might be too slow for some of you, i prefer maybe a 3.5 speed and maybe an incline at 2-5 level. (and sometimes i even hold on to the side for balance which is I guess a no no but it helps me balance.)

I am a beginner so anything with strengthening my arms is going to be what i call the "wussy level" which is a lighter weight, until i can do more.

So if you see me at the gym, please don't go hating on me because I am not there yet as strong as I'd like to be.

And I am HAPPY to see people that are overweight also because the gym is like the hospital for the obese. We could do the gym, or stay home at watch tv.

Still, even though I know some people might not enjoy watching the little bit of extra skin that will show because that tank top i wear means a lot to me as far as comfort, I hope you realize i feel healthier in it.

So do you all have an issue with me doing my workout at my pace, even though it is slow and you might be thinking I am being one of those people that are not serious? But I am. I just want you to know that. Why should I worry about your opinion? I suppose i try to over-ride that, however, I hope this is a message to those of you who might slip into a judgment of those of us who are trying but are in a slower pace and who like to wear tank tops even though we are overweight and do not want to cover up just to be able to work out with you.
why do you think i comment about people going too slow or lifting weight thats too light? you want to concoct some ridiculous reason that somehow it offends me simply because i dont like fat people who dont go fast enough or lift enough. but the reason is because WALKING AT THAT SPEED AND LIFTING THAT WEIGHT ISNT GOING TO GET YOU IN ANY BETTER PHYSICAL CONDITION THAN YOU ARE NOW. so you are just kidding yourself. if i see a fat person lifting weight that is actually challenging and moving at a speed that challenges them and makes them drip sweat, im happy to see them. you arent doing anything, you are just kidding yourself. you will never make it past the wussy weights. so put them down and lift heavier ones and push the speed up on the treadmill and dont hold onto the sides.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
I am happy when I see someone working out who I know must be new, even with what we (regulars) call "Newbies" come Jan 1st. It's sometimes harder to get a treadmill but that's okay.
but you conveniently ignore the reality that it is no longer hard to get a treadmill a few weeks later because most to all of those people have given up. but im being a jerk when i point out that reality.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
it only takes two words to encourage someone and show support...'Good Job'... and you can say it in passing. 'Good Job'!
Koale
I dont know where you live but where I am at, most people would probably assume you were being sarcastic. I do give them a little smile if we happen to cross glances though.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Every time I see someone big working out my opinion is they are a hero. However it's sad to know they probably won't stick it out.

One thing though, the gym will do nearly nothing for you without a healthy diet. I don't mean eating less or eating just salads... I eat 3 normal full meals a day. It's about cutting out the cheap garbage, sugar, and trans fat / hydrogenated oil.

Quite frankly depending on where you are at, the right diet will take you 90% of the way (and very quick too)... You just need the gym to iron out some awkward patches and fully tone.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why do you think i comment about people going too slow or lifting weight thats too light? you want to concoct some ridiculous reason that somehow it offends me simply because i dont like fat people who dont go fast enough or lift enough. but the reason is because WALKING AT THAT SPEED AND LIFTING THAT WEIGHT ISNT GOING TO GET YOU IN ANY BETTER PHYSICAL CONDITION THAN YOU ARE NOW. so you are just kidding yourself. if i see a fat person lifting weight that is actually challenging and moving at a speed that challenges them and makes them drip sweat, im happy to see them. you arent doing anything, you are just kidding yourself. you will never make it past the wussy weights. so put them down and lift heavier ones and push the speed up on the treadmill and dont hold onto the sides.
+1

it's all about exiting the comfort zone. if you're not dripping sweat, you're doing it wrong.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was just reading the thread about people stating their views about people in the gym that probably won't last but a few months. It brought another idea to my mind.

I hope you all don't mind - I am overweight, and I am working on improving that. I like the treadmill and exercising, and I don't wear skimpy clothes, but I do like to wear a tank top while working out, even though it will show more skin, but its the kind of clothing that it feels right exercising in due to being cooler and less frumpy. Who wants to feel frumpy while working out? not me!

Also, I do not like to jog on the treadmill, and so I walk at a pace that might be too slow for some of you, i prefer maybe a 3.5 speed and maybe an incline at 2-5 level. (and sometimes i even hold on to the side for balance which is I guess a no no but it helps me balance.)

I am a beginner so anything with strengthening my arms is going to be what i call the "wussy level" which is a lighter weight, until i can do more.

So if you see me at the gym, please don't go hating on me because I am not there yet as strong as I'd like to be.

And I am HAPPY to see people that are overweight also because the gym is like the hospital for the obese. We could do the gym, or stay home at watch tv.

Still, even though I know some people might not enjoy watching the little bit of extra skin that will show because that tank top i wear means a lot to me as far as comfort, I hope you realize i feel healthier in it.

So do you all have an issue with me doing my workout at my pace, even though it is slow and you might be thinking I am being one of those people that are not serious? But I am. I just want you to know that. Why should I worry about your opinion? I suppose i try to over-ride that, however, I hope this is a message to those of you who might slip into a judgment of those of us who are trying but are in a slower pace and who like to wear tank tops even though we are overweight and do not want to cover up just to be able to work out with you.
Someone like you is inspiring IMO!!! So keep going and ignore the haters!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I think majority of people want to see anyone succeed who is working out hard. Very rarely are people mean to others at the gym. People will roll their eyes at anyone who isn't working out hard though. It just so happens that a lot of times, it's the fat people you see who are just hanging out just kind of reading a book while they go at 1/4 speed on the bike. Actually be mean and mock them? naah

I think some might stem from insecurities (everyone is laughing at me) when in reality no one even looks their way. There are the few people that might, but they are a huge minority.

I think the only annoying thing, are the people who say things aren't their fault, that they can't change it so they continue on their ways.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm a lot like the OP. I do the elliptical, treadmill and some weight machines (arms, legs, etc) but I go at that same pace. I wear capri leggings and an over sized teeshirt, very unglamourous...especially at the end when I'm all sweaty.

I used to walk 3 miles a day at a local park and I dropped a ton of weight just doing that and eating better but then I broke my ankle and it left me with some nerve damage so I'm not as sure-footed as I used to be. Hanging on to the sides of the treadmill and the handles of the elliptical give me the security I need. Fortunately my gym isn't of the "meat market" variety and there are all sorts of people there. In fact a true fitness buff would probably not be satisfied since it's just one room with a lot of machines, a room for some classes, and changing areas. No fancy stuff.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Your words describe me as well, except the tank top part, I prefer not to have any "extra" showing'
I'm joining a gym today, been putting it off, I've belonged to several gyms over the years and stop going after a while for the same reasons.
I don't like working out when people are watching me, I know it can't be helped but I always feel rushed, like there isn't enough equipment to go around and if I'm going slower there always seems to be someone giving you the look like "hurry it up".
The gym I'm joining is one of the smaller ones that doesn't have staff round the clock, you can pop in anytime, I'm hoping to find a time when there is only a few people in there so I can get my workout done, without any hard bodies rushing me along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness