Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times

Advertisements

My schedule varies and I work out at different times, depending on the day.

Today I worked out mid morning. For breakfast I'd had an egg white omelet with some veggies. Generally I do best, hunger wise, if I have few to no carbs at breakfast time. I do eat some carbs at lunch and dinner.

I just felt like I was really dragging. Do you think adding in a few carbs would be helpful at breakfast time, or do you think it is unrelated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Can't speak specifically to breakfast time, but if I eat some carrot sticks and hummus about an hour before working out I can push significantly harder. Doesn't matter if it's weight lifting or cardio. I work out in the evening, so if I don't eat anything between lunch and working out (about 6 hours apart) then I really drag.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Before gym I have a protein bar. After gym I have egg whites, turkey bacon, protein shake and maybe throw in some black beans as well. I go in the am.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
When I lived in Ann Arbor I used to go running a LOT. I would usually go right after breakfast, and breakfast for me was 2-3 low-fat or fat-free muffins with coffee followed by a banana. Yep, lots of carbs. I never had any problems running (OK, jogging -- I wasn't fast) after eating these things, although the more I read the more I think I probably should have had more protein at breakfast. I would usually be out for at least an hour, often more -- I was totally addicted 'til my knee went bad.

I know people who exercise on an empty stomach, but I could never do that without feeling nauseated.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Maybe you are tired or getting sick since you are dragging a bit?
It is good to have something in the tank when you are hitting the gym but you don't want to over do it by eating too much or the wrong stuff since your muscles will be fighting with your stomache and you might not get the pump you want.
Throw in some carbs, maybe you body needs the "torque" of carbs to get it going and the "horsepower" of the protein to keep it going ?
Give it a shot.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
If I'm ever struggling or possibly struggling to get through a workout an electrolyte drink helps me big time. Easy to digest too.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I always feel energized in the morning, whether I have any food or not. I make a breakfast casserole of egg whites, broccoli and cheese - I'll have a square of that before I go out.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post

Today I worked out mid morning. For breakfast I'd had an egg white omelet with some veggies. Generally I do best, hunger wise, if I have few to no carbs at breakfast time. I do eat some carbs at lunch and dinner.

I just felt like I was really dragging. Do you think adding in a few carbs would be helpful at breakfast time, or do you think it is unrelated?

Yes. Your body needs those carbs to help it get going. Don't load up on simple carbs, complex carbs from things like potatoes or oatmeal (not the flavored instant stuff) work best. A good amount of protein in the morning will help too.

This is what works best for me, YRMV.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post

Having some good carbs and protein at breakfast is good for you.

My workout schedule varies according to my schedule, but I never waiver on my early morning cardio. I wake up, drink a cup of black no sugar coffee, then hit the road (or rope, or heavy bag, or whatever) for my cardio routine. I'll eat a banana, some type of protein and/or some oatmeal with almonds or something after.

There is a very good book I recommend called "Power Eating" by Kleiner. Its one of the best books I've ever read that deals with proper nutritional intake with what to eat, when to eat, how to eat, etc in conjuction with your workout routine.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,313 times
Eating before workout is not good. It is best to do workout with empty stomach. We can eat light food but don't eat too much. Fruits or fruit juice both are good before doing any workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness